[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

The timeline on Zadorov's negotiations is interesting.  His camp said he was willing to take a discount and wanted to stay in Van.

So if he is leaving now what does he expect to get in FA?  I think 6M is his ceiling.  He may get 6 * 6 or possibly 6 by 7 years somewhere.

So was he willing to sign in Van for 5M and it was just the number of years that was the problem?

I'd love to know what his ask was and what the Canucks offer was.

If he would have signed here for 5M then potentially we sign him and some lesser D for 2M total 7M.  Vs. what could be Tanev at 4M and Dillon at 3M for 7 total.  

I like Tanev and Dillon but they are old and although nice stories and guys who like it here, they will get older fast.

Potentially a big mistake by management here to sign the older guys over the younger one -  thinking they are being smart. 

Marino is interesting but he will be expensive to acquire.

I think they should have signed Zad at 5M - unless he wanted 6M. (But as I started with, he said he was willing to take a discount).

I guess Mngmt has decided he can't sustain his play for the next 5 or 6 years and that is why they are passing.

if he plays great for the next 5 or 6 years elsewhere it is a huge mistake by management here.

If not, they are right.  I guess we will see.

35 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Zadorov has known for several days what other teams are willing to pay him. Arguing about his value doesn't change that fact that he gets the final say.

Allvin and co. are sticking to their internal limits. That's the business side of hockey in action.

Something we actually wanted the previous regime to do ... in being responsible. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That would be inherently stupid. A 34 year old player is not what this team needs. 

you think being 34 outweighs being a 40 goal scorer and point per game player last year, a long time team captain and two time stanley cup champion?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

you think being 34 outweighs being a 40 goal scorer and point per game player last year, a long time team captain and two time stanley cup champion?

Yes. He won’t be one that moves the needle the way this team needs it moved. Pettersson needs a linemate from his generation, not someone nearly a decade older than him. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes. He won’t be one that moves the needle the way this team needs it moved. Pettersson needs a linemate from his generation, not someone nearly a decade older than him. 

why? doesn't he just need someone who can put the puck in the net?

• Haha 1