[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

12 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

THE MONEY ! That's what I meant. Obviously. 

But you claim the players have no choice in the matter? Seems highly unrealistic. Kuz agreed to move because CGY would give him top line mins and a chance to earn a raise after 2nd year of deal. Mik agreed to move because he might also get top 6 mins in CHI and get a real chance with less pressure to rejuvenate his career. 

• Vintage 1

On 6/25/2024 at 8:59 PM, wai_lai416 said:

You have a 11 dollar man and u need 9+? So why does kucherov play with point why does mackinnon play with rantanen, Matthew with nylander, etc etc. why does most of the top 10 scorer play with another player that is making 9mil and up but when it comes to pettersson he’s the exception to the rules and must play with lesser players or else he’s trash? By you standard they should be playing with some 3rd 4th line grinders and turn them into a ppg guy right?

sure there’s exceptions like pastrnak but there’s not that many? Panarin? He plays with zjb who makes like 8mil? Not everyone is a mcdavid or pastrnak

image.thumb.png.4e51f0391d976ebe2670f105dc00d415.png

image.thumb.png.8307689d40b13e7813c113a9e3d74aa9.png 

in half the mins as many above. 

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Re-signing Myers at 3 m was overpay.

His performance over 6 years was overpay.

he played like  a 3 million dollar D man for 6

years .  Now at 34 yrs to 37 years he’s a 3m per ?

This player will haunt us .

His last contract was 5 years :picard:

Edited by Coryberg

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Re-signing Myers at 3 m was overpay.

His performance over 6 years was overpay.

he played like  a 3 million dollar D man for 6

years .  Now at 34 yrs to 37 years he’s a 3m per ?

This player will haunt us .

I don’t think it will haunt us. Just think it’s dumb. We will have so many holes in the bottom 4 in a couple years. Allvin trying to win the cup next year. I’d prefer a 5-7 year plan with this core 

• Cheers 1

Look. We all loved Zads and what he did for us especially in the playoffs. He was an absolute physical force out there. I for one am disappointed he won’t be resigning here.

That being said, you cannot fork out 5+ for a tweener 4-5 defenceman for 5-6 years.  I feel management offered him a fair deal for what they feel he is. His agent is probably in his head saying hey some other team that’s desperate for defenceman could offer you 5.5-6 so let’s wait till July 1st. I don’t blame him whatsoever. Let’s all wait and see what our JR and Allvin come Monday. 

If rumours are true and guys like Tanev and Dillon would love to play here I would be more than happy with either one or both. If they truly want to be here they’ll sign for a fair deal. Let’s all hold our horses and see what happens. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron said:

I don’t think it will haunt us. Just think it’s dumb. We will have so many holes in the bottom 4 in a couple years. Allvin trying to win the cup next year. I’d prefer a 5-7 year plan with this core 

5-7 years from now Hughes could be gone and Miller will be at the end of his career. The window to succeed as a club is narrow unless you have a generational player or two locked into reasonable long term deals (Crosby,Malkin)

Just now, Pickly said:

5-7 years from now Hughes could be gone and Miller will be at the end of his career. The window to succeed as a club is narrow unless you have a generational player or two locked into reasonable long term deals (Crosby,Malkin)

Yeah wouldn’t suprise me if they let Quinn walk too 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Yeah wouldn’t suprise me if they let Quinn walk too 

Let’s not pout about 5-7 years from now and let’s focus on what’s immediately in front of us. They performed exceptionally well this year and were within a game of beating the Oilers and could have made the cup finals with a healthy goalie and Petey performing at 60% of his capabilities. This management group has turned us from a laughing stock to a bonafide cup contender. Have faith 

• ThereItIs 1

They say he is testing free agency - does that mean he's definitely gone (Canucks offer off the table now) or is he just entertaining offers and may circle back if the Canucks offer is most suitable. 

If they lose him, I do hope the Canucks can pick up maybe two players (totalling around 6-6.5M) that can service the D and the bottom two forward lines - preferably on the grittier side.

Thought they needed another big winger to complement DJ at the trading deadline last year - maybe they'll circle back now - no shortage of punishing forwards who may fit into RT' s coaching system.  This will come in handy given just how gritty the Nashville series was, especially the treatment on Huggy and Petey.

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Let’s not pout about 5-7 years from now and let’s focus on what’s immediately in front of us. They performed exceptionally well this year and were within a game of beating the Oilers and could have made the cup finals with a healthy goalie and Petey performing at 60% of his capabilities. This management group has turned us from a laughing stock to a bonafide cup contender. Have faith 

That’s what I mean though. I want that team 

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Yeah we’ve been through hell. A almost a decade and a half of losing. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a few years of battling for a cup. If we don’t get it then we have to wait another decade. Lots of teams do it for 5-7 years. Why can’t we. Why do we make those trades for Z and Lindholm and not even retain one of them. Why are we trying to build a D core of old dudes. If Willander doesn’t turn out we’re screwed 

Just now, SilentSam said:

Does it really matter .

We signed a 34 year old declining asset to 3 more years.

That money could have been used elsewhere.

And he was awesome for us last year. He took a discount to stay here. Myers is a big body with a long stick when playing 17-18 minutes a night is a force especially in the playoffs. He took below market value to stay here. We all look to the first 5 years he was here miscast as a # 3 where he sucked but as a bottom pairing guy he’s a beauty and 3 million is exactly what Ian Cole got paid last year and he was borderline dog shit for 50% of the season

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Yeah we’ve been through hell. A almost a decade and a half of losing. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a few years of battling for a cup. If we don’t get it then we have to wait another decade. Lots of teams do it for 5-7 years. Why can’t we. Why do we make those trades for Z and Lindholm and not even retain one of them. Why are we trying to build a D core of old dudes. If Willander doesn’t turn out we’re screwed 

Because we don’t have a Crosby Mackinnon or McDavid where you can perennially contend given you have a top 3 player in the world to carry the club. The Panthers just won a cup with a similarity constructed roster as the Canucks. I’d rather win one cup and suck for 10 years than be a playoff team like the Leads year in and year out and embarrass themselves every single time.