[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

4 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I don’t think any of those players are overpaid. Pettersson is projected to provide 11.9 million in value over the course of 8 years, 300k above his contract. Meyers at 3million is only 250k above scheme and Lybushkin last year, and 1m less than Gudbranson. There is no way that is an overpayment. Same with Hronek, many people were saying it would be starting with an 8. Calling a signing an ‘overpayment’ doesn’t just make it so. Look at comparables around the league, they are all great signings. By your mentality, just take 250k off every contract, and suddenly we have a spare 5 million in cap!

@Conscience what do you disagree with? You just made a made a face rather than respond. I’m curious why you consider all three of them ‘over paid’. 

15 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Look. We all loved Zads and what he did for us especially in the playoffs. He was an absolute physical force out there. I for one am disappointed he won’t be resigning here.

That being said, you cannot fork out 5+ for a tweener 4-5 defenceman for 5-6 years.  I feel management offered him a fair deal for what they feel he is. His agent is probably in his head saying hey some other team that’s desperate for defenceman could offer you 5.5-6 so let’s wait till July 1st. I don’t blame him whatsoever. Let’s all wait and see what our JR and Allvin come Monday. 

If rumours are true and guys like Tanev and Dillon would love to play here I would be more than happy with either one or both. If they truly want to be here they’ll sign for a fair deal. Let’s all hold our horses and see what happens. 

nobody knows the numbers .

we are all speculating .

Tanev will have a hospital ward named after him if he comes back here.

it’s guys like Myers and Tanev that fans have to “get over”’.

heartwarming / feel good stories about bro love is for a movie .

Not Playoff hockey..   it’s vicious.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah we’ve been through hell. A almost a decade and a half of losing. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a few years of battling for a cup. If we don’t get it then we have to wait another decade. Lots of teams do it for 5-7 years. Why can’t we. Why do we make those trades for Z and Lindholm and not even retain one of them. Why are we trying to build a D core of old dudes. If Willander doesn’t turn out we’re screwed 

You're getting upset because Zads is likely gone, which I get, it sucks losing a liked player. My question to you though, is if he signs at $6m for 6 or 7 years somewhere, would you have been happy with us giving him that, or close to it? Cause I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

We have to see what he signs for before passing judgement. We have the money available, PA and JR just aren't going to overpay someone, be it Lindholm or Zadorov.

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

With Russian players, It's all Daniel Milstein. They do whatever he tells them to. There is no doubt in me mind that was the case with Zadorov.

He like it here and that couldn't have been more obvious. He had no say in the matter and Alvin probably didn't either. I suppose there could

have been some residual effect with Milkiev being let go.

The agent works for the player. Zadorov has final say in where he signs.

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Because we don’t have a Crosby Mackinnon or McDavid where you can perennially contend given you have a top 3 player in the world to carry the club. The Panthers just won a cup with a similarity constructed roster as the Canucks. I’d rather win one cup and suck for 10 years than be a playoff team like the Leads year in and year out and embarrass themselves every single time. 

And the Panthers have been in the playoffs for the past 5 years. They also have a guy called Barkov. We have a Pettersson and Hughes. No reason they can’t model a team around those guys for the next 10 years 

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

And he was awesome for us last year. He took a discount to stay here. Myers is a big body with a long stick when playing 17-18 minutes a night is a force especially in the playoffs. He took below market value to stay here. We all look to the first 5 years he was here miscast as a # 3 where he sucked but as a bottom pairing guy he’s a beauty and 3 million is exactly what Ian Cole got paid last year and he was borderline dog shit for 50% of the season

DISCOUNT FROM WHAT NUMBER ?

6m ?

And for what did he do for 6 m?

Last Season?

what about all the others ?

those were his prime years.

Did not give 6m worth of game.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

You're getting upset because Zads is likely gone, which I get, it sucks losing a liked player. My question to you though, is if he signs at $6m for 6 or 7 years somewhere, would you have been happy with us giving him that, or close to it? Cause I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

We have to see what he signs for before passing judgement. We have the money available, PA and JR just aren't going to overpay someone, be it Lindholm or Zadorov.

I think somewhere around 5 would have been great but the way Z hit a new level in the playoffs I was ready to give that man whatever he wanted. I do think he has another level too like he said in his interview and I believe him. Hes a big man and sometimes that comes later. I know he’s 29 but Myers is 34 and finally started playing like an NHL defencemen. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

@Conscience what do you disagree with? You just made a made a face rather than respond. I’m curious why you consider all three of them ‘over paid’. 

If you think theyre good deals then good on you.

They might be what they could have got on open market but free agency usually leads to bidding wars that drive up price. For 2 rfs and an aging d that we overpaid for 5 years we could have done a bit better. 

11.6 for pete lol dont even get me started. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I think somewhere around 5 would have been great but the way Z hit a new level in the playoffs I was ready to give that man whatever he wanted. I do think he has another level too like he said in his interview and I believe him. Hes a big man and sometimes that comes later. I know he’s 29 but Myers is 34 and finally started playing like an NHL defencemen. 

First Tryamkin, now Zadorov...........huge-fish-caught-on-cam-gpkqgzinpefdrkcl.gif.adb70e31b159df0da88348d04ec60b17.gif   

why do all our bigs ones get away?!!        jU.gif.e2cc8f550dbc8d3cf90aeff2b722b681.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Myers won the Calder. He’s always been a good defenceman… even when he was struggling here he was still a top four guy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CaptainCanuck12 said:

First Tryamkin, now Zadorov...........huge-fish-caught-on-cam-gpkqgzinpefdrkcl.gif.adb70e31b159df0da88348d04ec60b17.gif   

why do all our bigs ones get away?!!        jU.gif.e2cc8f550dbc8d3cf90aeff2b722b681.gif

Man. I actually hated all the Tryamkin talk. Dude left before he even got here. I’ll be done with Z too after this but yeah it sucks. Finally we had a scary defence core but we’ll see how it turns out 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

5 and less would've been perfect. Anything over 5 and you're getting into overpaid territory. 13 games isn't enough to overwrite he's previous 600+ as a #5 d-man, or fringe #4 if you're pushing things.

You can't build a winning team by overpaying and taking personal feelings into it, and that's what PA and JR are trying to do. They valued him at a certain number and weren't going over it, and Zads thinks he can get more. So for now we aren't re-signing him, he might swing back if he doesn't get what he thinks he will in Free Agency.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah we’ve been through hell. A almost a decade and a half of losing. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a few years of battling for a cup. If we don’t get it then we have to wait another decade. Lots of teams do it for 5-7 years. Why can’t we. Why do we make those trades for Z and Lindholm and not even retain one of them. Why are we trying to build a D core of old dudes. If Willander doesn’t turn out we’re screwed 

What, you think the cap was limitless?  Everyone and their dog here knew that we couldn’t sign all our free agents.  We had tough choices to make.  There’s every opportunity to improve our club with the flexibility of more cap which involves not signing some of our FA’s because they may be priced above what we can afford

2 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

5 and less would've been perfect. Anything over 5 and you're getting into overpaid territory. 13 games isn't enough to overwrite he's previous 600+ as a #5 d-man, or fringe #4 if you're pushing things.

You can't build a winning team by overpaying and taking personal feelings into it, and that's what PA and JR are trying to do. They valued him at a certain number and weren't going over it, and Zads thinks he can get more. So for now we aren't resigning him, he might swing back if he doesn't get what he thinks he will in Free Agency.

100% 

Just now, coho8888 said:

What, you think the cap was limitless?  Everyone and their dog here knew that we couldn’t sign all our free agents.  We had tough choices to make.  There’s every opportunity to improve our club with the flexibility of more cap which involves not signing some of our FA’s because they may be priced above what we can afford

Yep we’ll see what they do here on July.1st but remember those guys will likely be overpaid too, pick your poison 

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

He's averaged over 21 minutes a night since signing in Vancouver. He's played the minutes of a top 4 guy.

Thats what I’m saying. He was way over his head to begin with. He’s finally in a place more suited for him and with the right coaching now.

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Thats what I’m saying. He was way over his head to begin with. He’s finally in a place more suited for him and with the right coaching now.

And he played his best hockey in reduced minutes. Now he'll be payed suitably for those reduced minutes. But saying he hasn't been a. Top 4 defensemen in Vancouver is just false. Whether it was by poor team design or not, he was played as a top 4 defensemen.