[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

funny   .. I’ve always looked at a # 4 Dman as a Top Pairing Dman .

He’s not.

But that’s the position he is in as our roster is right now.

But he is not ,  and he should get less anyway because of his game / declining asset and the fact he was paid too much , here , where he is coming back.

We needed to move away from this player

Your right, that is funny. I always felt top pairing Dman seemed pretty self explanatory as a player being, you know, one of the two on the top pair.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

There is a model that projects a players cap value for the duration of their contract, and Pettersson is valued at a 300k discount. Yeah it’s just a formula and imperfect, but it gives a good idea. How are you going about determining his value? You haven’t given any comparables for any of those three. If you look around the league at other players recently signed around their cap hits, there are very few I think we would want over them. Unless your argument is that all hockey players are overpaid. Who would you rather have signed instead of them, I’m curious? 

what model? 

Zadorov and Roy, probably come in similar prices to myers and hronek, not to mention the assets you could have got in return for hronek. 

Pete should have been traded for a haul as well if that was his number. A top 5 paid player in the league, really no players youd rather have over pete ? For 11.6 mill? He just not dominant or consistent enough as the superstars in this league. 

• Haha 2

Anyways Bye Z. One of the few things I haven’t liked about this management group was letting this happen. That and maybe we shouldn’t have acquired Lindholm. But everything still looks pretty good. Let’s see how they do going forward. Made my points. Done arguing now. Go Canucks Go 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

It's hard to say what Z really is.  He doesn't really have the track record of a top 4 D.  He may have been played as a top 4 D but that was when Soucy was injured.  He played very well during the playoffs but that is a small sample size and you really can't base a good evaluation on 13 games.  I love the way he was playing and I love having a player who plays as heavy as that but Soucy is better and is paid less.  

I'm happy that Allvin hasn't caved to Zadorov's demands.  He thinks that if he waited until the very end, that Allvin would have caved.  Credit to Allvin for not doing so.  You just can't overpay for anybody and hope to build a winning team.  Paying too much for players got Benning into all sorts of trouble.

We'll see in good time what Z was really after and how it was not a good fit for the team as a whole

We were discussing Myers being a top 4 D in this particular post. Zadorov has played the minutes of a 4/5 his entire career really, outside of a couple 19 minute seasons many years ago. 

I'm also happy we didn't cave. Would have loved for Z to stick around at a reasonable cost. It sounds like we made him a reasonable offer and he decided to decline and see if a team will overpay. Good for him, go get yours Z.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Devron said:

I’d almost rather see them sign a Guentzel now that Z is gone. I think we go big. Benning could never go big because of that status of our team so he overpaid the shit out of bottom 6 guys 

I'm nervous about giving too many players their retirement contracts.  Guentzal is going to cost 7x9.5 and he's already 29.  I suspect Big Z wanted a similar length of contract as well which may have been the sticking point.  And even though giving up another 1st may be very unpopular to some on here, I'd rather do that for someone like Necas who is 25? 26? who we can sign a bridge contract to for more reasonable $$.  

• Cheers 4

44 minutes ago, Devron said:

Anyways Bye Z. One of the few things I haven’t liked about this management group was letting this happen. That and maybe we shouldn’t have acquired Lindholm. But everything still looks pretty good. Let’s see how they do going forward. Made my points. Done arguing now. Go Canucks Go 

For a moment i had feel we lost you.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Conscience said:

what model? 

Zadorov and Roy, probably come in similar prices to myers and hronek, not to mention the assets you could have got in return for hronek. 

Pete should have been traded for a haul as well if that was his number. A top 5 paid player in the league, really no players youd rather have over pete ? For 11.6 mill? He just not dominant or consistent enough as the superstars in this league. 

One the Athletic uses. Whose salary are you comparing Zadorov to? I would much rather have meyers at 3x3 than Zadorov at 5.5 or 6x6. If you are using that as a comparable then Meyers is a steal. 

6 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

One the Athletic uses. Whose salary are you comparing Zadorov to? I would much rather have meyers at 3x3 than Zadorov at 5.5 or 6x6. If you are using that as a comparable then Meyers is a steal. 

Its myers. And thats a crazy take. 

2-2.5 mil more for the younger and better D is a no brainer. 

Again probably couldve had them both with a lil less going to the 34 years old chaos giraffe. 

42 minutes ago, pomorick said:

Canucks have not had a spine since 2011 until Joshua and Zadorov. Zadorov was the spine of the Canucks in the playoffs. Back to being spineless.

I really hope not... 

Z was amazing for the team in that way. 

Brought the swagger back. 

Hopefully he doesn't take the team swagger with him

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ya, 5 million is a very good and fair offer from the Canucks. I really wanted to get a Zadorov jersey, best of luck to him, hope he gets his money.

Yeah, if he wants to chase bigger money elsewhere that's on him, but it's not as if management didn't try

They've other things to consider and their cap space ain't unlimited, can't just give everyone everything they want, particularly after other guys take discounts to stay

2:25

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/~2935597

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1