[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Because he's right handed.  It makes a difference.  And Myers has a long history with the Canucks playing top 4.  Granted, he's better on the bottom pair at his age and he is now being paid at the top end on bottom pair (who can also play up the line up if needed).

Zadorov is left handed (and as such, gets paid less) but he doesn't have a long history of playing top 4.  He was very successful for 13 games in the playoffs.  Allvin is right for not paying him $ 5+++ for playing well for 13 games and putting him ahead of Soucy because Soucy has a long history of playing left side 2nd pair and makes only 3.25 

Credit for Allvin for not being a chump

FIFY.... and spot on.

I'm actually shocked that we offered him 5. Didn't think this management group would get close to 5. Crazy what a good playoff run can do for a player.

He was offered around the league in December, no other team would pay more than a 3rd for him and wanted salary retained on his 3.75 mil deal on top. 

• ThereItIs 2

18 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Big Z either needs to come down or this ain't happening. Will be sad to see him go if he doesn't but the team clearly needs a partner for EP. 

Curious to see if mgmt will be able to convince one of the UFA RD to come here at a reasonable price.

Some teams are going to throw buckets of money at JG and Tanev so better have those backup plans ready.

There's not even a guarantee that Guentzel will sign here. Friedman seems to believe that Guentzel's signing in Carolina is imminent. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I'm actually shocked that we offered him 5. Didn't think this management group would get close to 5. Crazy what a good playoff run can do for a player.

He was offered around the league in December, no other team would pay more than a 3rd for him and wanted salary retained on his 3.75 mil deal on top. 

I wonder if Zadorov circles back to the Canucks if he doesn't think the other offers he's getting are any better? 

With that being said, I think he gets more than 5m come Monday. Some team will overpay, and some idiot GM will do it (most likely, it'll be Toronto). 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

They say he is testing free agency - does that mean he's definitely gone (Canucks offer off the table now) or is he just entertaining offers and may circle back if the Canucks offer is most suitable. 

If they lose him, I do hope the Canucks can pick up maybe two players (totalling around 6-6.5M) that can service the D and the bottom two forward lines - preferably on the grittier side.

Thought they needed another big winger to complement DJ at the trading deadline last year - maybe they'll circle back now - no shortage of punishing forwards who may fit into RT' s coaching system.  This will come in handy given just how gritty the Nashville series was, especially the treatment on Huggy and Petey.

Unfortunately, I think he’s gone. Canucks have to fill their holes immediately on Monday, or risk losing out on the available Defensemen. If Big Z tests free agency and decides to circle back, I’d assume the cap would be gone by then. Also if there’s any truth to these Marino rumours, a trade for him could happen at the draft this weekend. Plus Allvin has been very clear a top winger for Petey is now the priority.

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder if Zadorov circles back to the Canucks if he doesn't think the other offers he's getting are any better? 

With that being said, I think he gets more than 5m come Monday. Some team will overpay, and some idiot GM will do it (most likely, it'll be Toronto). 

Maybe that is what Allvin said to Zad. Have a look and then lets talk again. It would set a market price which the Canucks could accept or not. Gives PA some time to look at his options as well.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pomorick said:

Canucks have not had a spine since 2011 until Joshua and Zadorov. Zadorov was the spine of the Canucks in the playoffs. Back to being spineless.

I thought after the playoffs that we had improved our team toughness with Zad and Joshua, it meant we no longer were intimidated and we actually could intimidate our opponents. The problem is, that we needed to improve on that and not go backwards. 

I think Soucy is a great defenseman but he is not intimidating. Myers had one good year but many forgot what he was like the other years he played for us. Now we are relying on these two to anchor our second pairing? 

It appears that that the team chose to go after Guentzel at the expense of our D core.

I am sure he is a good player but we are betting on him having chemistry with Pettersson where Pettersson struggles with tighter checking and physical play in the playoffs. We are betting a lot of money on these two being a success for us. A huge gamble IMHO.

Many of you might think 5 might be too much to pay Z just wait until Soucy gets injured again and Myers and who ever they plug into with him, try to keep up. I don't even know what that means for the third pairing in this scenario.

We are making a huge mistake here and I have thought that this management group has been flawless up until this point. 

I sure hope they have something different up their sleeve that we are not foreseeing because this will bring us back to being a fragile group just one or two injuries away from a disaster..

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I thought after the playoffs that we had improved our team toughness with Zad and Joshua, it meant we no longer were intimidated and we actually could intimidate our opponents. The problem is, that we needed to improve on that and not go backwards. 

I think Soucy is a great defenseman but he is not intimidating. Myers had one good year but many forgot what he was like the other years he played for us. Now we are relying on these two to anchor our second pairing? 

It appears that that the team chose to go after Guentzel at the expense of our D core.

I am sure he is a good player but we are betting on him having chemistry with Pettersson where Pettersson struggles with tighter checking and physical play in the playoffs. We are betting a lot of money on these two being a success for us. A huge gamble IMHO.

Many of you might think 5 might be too much to pay Z just wait until Soucy gets injured again and Myers and who ever they plug into with him, try to keep up. I don't even know what that means for the third pairing in this scenario.

We are making a huge mistake here and I have thought that this management group has been flawless up until this point. 

I sure hope they have something different up their sleeve that we are not foreseeing because this will bring us back to being a fragile group just one or two injuries away from a disaster..

Wow, throwing in the towel already. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wow, throwing in the towel already. 

I am still holding on a tiny bit of hope. :classic_biggrin:

The way that things appear though is that the extra Cap we have has a big UFA in mind. Which is why we cannot pay Z what he wants. 

I agree on not overpaying any one player but I think the team is underating him and sees him as a 5/6 defensman. 

I think we also under rate a player who exceeds performance in the playoffs.