[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

People seem to forget what we were like before Z got picked up. 😊

A pretty good team?

Zadorov brought balance to the D for sure, but let’s not overhype him.

We all fell in love with him, but there are other tough physical D men out there that we can fall In love with just the same.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I really don't get the beef with management. They made a very, very fair offer to Zadorov. 

Folks should blame Zadorov for chasing more money/term elsewhere, unlike other guys who took less to stick around. 

If Z was signing most people would be stoked and Allvin would be a hero. Hes not signing so Allvin must be correct. I think we are allowed to have an opinion that this may be a mistake. And I’m usually happy with every move 

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That number has not been verified by player agent or management 

And if management's track record regarding information is anything to go off of, it won't be. 

Doesn't change the fact that if he'd been willing to play ball and take a lesser amount that worked for the Canucks that he'd likely be signed right now. 

Joshua, Myers, and Blueger all took less to stay, Zadorov could have too. 

I get the angst about losing him, but it takes two to tango and Zadorov was party to negotiations. If he walks it's going to be because he chose to walk. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Devron said:

If Z was signing most people would be stoked and Allvin would be a hero. Hes not signing so Allvin must be correct. I think we are allowed to have an opinion that this may be a mistake. And I’m usually happy with every move 

And if Zadorov signed for 6 and the contract started to look like the previous Myers one right away then what would you say?

This management isn’t dealing in emotion they’re dealing in fair numbers and what a player is worth.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Seems to me like a lot of folks are just fine with management having a firm line, and that there are folks who are indeed disappointed. 

You're more than welcome to have an opinion that this might be a mistake, just as others can point out that he's historically been more of a 5D on qualify D cores. 

I'm not usually happy with every move, and I don't want Guentzel. But I'm glad that management is actually willing to walk away when they feel what a player wants is too much. 

I’m worried now they will overpay regardless in UFA cause that’s what teams do. We just traded away Mikheyev 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And if Zadorov signed for 6 and the contract started to look like the previous Myers one right away then what would you say?

This management isn’t dealing in emotion they’re dealing in fair numbers and what a player is worth.

Everything is what if, you know as much as I do. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I’m worried now they will overpay regardless in UFA cause that’s what teams do. We just traded away Mikheyev 

Maybe, but we really don't know. There's a chance that could happen, absolutely, it's part of why I don't want Guentzel. 

I went round and around in circles on CDC with folks because I don't like handing out long term deals that take guys into their later 30's, I still don't like those deals. 

Which is why I'd rather opt for a quality second line talent and a top 4D on 4-5 year deals over Guentzel.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A pretty good team?

We all fell in love with him, but there are other tough physical D men out there that we can fall In love with just the same.

My concern is that"balance" of the d core. If you get a different tough physical dman you are probably looking at a 5/6 guy. Does that make Soucy/Myers 2/3? What if we have injuries? 

I see Soucy as the only "Stay at home" defenseman in the top 4. Thats like the imbalance in Toronto or Edmonton with their forwards. 

I would actually like to see our 2 best puck movers(Hronek/Hughes) each with a tough stay at home defenseman to have that true balance.

If we could play these 2 pairings for most of the game, we would be very dangerous to play against.

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

A pretty good team?

nice switch.

this isn’t really about 1 player .

it’s about D core where we were very weak.

our D was shite before we started shifting the D core ..  first Soucy,  then Hroncek , then Cole , then Zadorov.

When we obtained the last 3 players that gave us Strength on D fence that could CONTEND .

it’s about change DeNiro.

And many other players that the Canucks were thinkin of replacing Cole and Zadorov with have signed for good money

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And if management's track record regarding information is anything to go off of, it won't be. 

Doesn't change the fact that if he'd been willing to play ball and take a lesser amount that worked for the Canucks that he'd likely be signed right now. 

I get the angst about losing him, but it takes two to tango and Zadorov was party to negotiations. If he walks it's going to be because he chose to walk. 

4.75 to 5 is really fair. Really really fair. 

It's disappointing but do we all really want this contract to start with a 6? 

We do tend to love our short timers here tho, people are still pining over Tofu. 

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

nice switch.

this isn’t really about 1 player .

it’s about D core where we were very weak.

our D was shite before we started shifting the D core ..  first Soucy,  then Hroncek , then Cole , then Zadorov.

When we obtained the last 3 players that gave us Strength on D fence that could CONTEND .

it’s about change DeNiro.

And many other players that the Canucks were thinkin of replacing Cole and Zadorov with have signed for good money

OK Sam but 6 million? you'd really do that? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

Me too, we just opened up a "NEED" on the team and that player has to come from somewhere. We are going to have to over pay most likely.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

willing to play ball ?

wtf 

you still on this 5 number that is speculated?

If he walks it’s because players of lesser value are signing for fair value or better contracts elsewhere.

Anything can still happen,  and I’m sure it will , including Zadorov signing a fair contract for himself,  probably his last.

it has nothing to do with bleeding his heart out for management because you think he should lol

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

4.75 to 5 is really fair. Really really fair. 

It's disappointing but do we all really want this contract to start with a 6? 

We do tend to love our short timers here tho, people are still pining over Tofu. 

I think so too, that's pretty good money for a guy who's never been able to stick as a top 4 regular on teams with a quality defense. He wasn't able to do it in Calgary, he wasn't able to do it in Colorado. Based on ATOI during his regular season stint as a Canuck, he didn't do it here either. 

Despite playing 54 games as a Canuck he only averaged 17:04, which places him behind Hughes, Hronek, Myers, Cole, and even Soucy. Even if it wasn't the rumoured 5M, they probably made him a fair offer based on his overall body of work, which spans multiple seasons, not based on a 13 game playoff stretch. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2024.html

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

It will never stop isn't? People acting like Zadorov is next Cale Makar or something close to that. He is 29 year old who already played on FIVE NHL teams, he is 3rd pare defensemen who elevated his game during playoff time and will be paid accordingly in free agency but not by Vancouver Canucks. They offered him 5mln AAV and he wants more, it is his call, show must go. Finally our management building a contender team and not covering the halls for a change.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK Sam but 6 million? you'd really do that? 

again we can talk hypothetically.**

IF he was offered **5m here ,   Gets an offer for **6 ,  does he not go back to his agent and say I’ll take **5.25 from Vancouver.

is not not the fair way to handle his UFA ?

He HAS to see other offers for his best interests,.

not fold his interests into a goody bag for Alvin’s sake .

what I dont like is the alienation in comments of Zadorov that Alvin is suggesting .

This isn’t an Arbitration.

The stance Alvin is making is firm, 

Thats fine..  but it’s not necessary.

it might even cast away Zadorov’s thoughts of changing his mind on a return under any number.

that’s just wrong.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

again we can talk hypothetically.**

IF he was offered **5m here ,   Gets an offer for **6 ,  does he not go back to his agent and say I’ll take **5.25 from Vancouver.

is not not the fair way to handle his UFA ?

He HAS to see other offers for his best interests,.

not fold his interests into a goody bag for Alvin’s sake .

what I dont like is the alienation in comments of Zadorov that Alvin is suggesting .

This isn’t an Arbitration.

The stance Alvin is making is firm, 

Thats fine..  but it’s not necessary.

it might even cast away Zadorov’s thoughts of changing his mind on a return under any number.

that’s just wrong.

dunno, I didn't read Allvin as being negative, just factual. 

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

My concern is that"balance" of the d core. If you get a different tough physical dman you are probably looking at a 5/6 guy. Does that make Soucy/Myers 2/3? What if we have injuries? 

I see Soucy as the only "Stay at home" defenseman in the top 4. Thats like the imbalance in Toronto or Edmonton with their forwards. 

I would actually like to see our 2 best puck movers(Hronek/Hughes) each with a tough stay at home defenseman to have that true balance.

If we could play these 2 pairings for most of the game, we would be very dangerous to play against.

and we did see Zadorov line up with Hroneck and Hughes for parts of some games.

I think that is where he was given the opportunities to show he could be part of the top 2 pairing .

I think he passed with flying colors.

• Upvote 1

@SilentSam I feel for you, brother! I remember how bummed you were that Tryamkin left on the old CDC and now, again, with Zadorov. 

Hopefully we can trust in what Allvin is doing here - still a lot of quality names out there. 

And who knows?  I think Zad goes to Toronto as he seems to like Canada and the spotlight, plus history with Treliving.  But maybe he decides to circle back on us.  

• Cheers 1