[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

the thing that worries me about hronek is yes he was great in the regular season, at least for a lot of it, but in the playoffs, with everyone swarming hughes, hronek isnt creating space for him. maybe hes injured and thats impeding him.

Some of that's just the playoffs being the playoffs though imo, Hughes is arguably our most important player, of course teams are going to key in on him and whoever he's playing with. 

Teams are always going to try and play him harder come playoff time, particularly as a smaller guy. 

It's no secret that he's the engine for this team from the back end, similar to how Makar is for Colorado. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

There is one scenario that everyone comes back, and I think management has already prepared for this with EP's new contract structure.  I think this postseason is EP's proving ground.  If he doesn't come around and start making a difference now, compared to how other players on the team have been stepping up, I think he gets traded at the draft for picks and cap relief.  The farther the Canucks go in the playoffs without Elias doing anything of real note, the more obvious it becomes that he is not a main driver of this team's success.  Yes, he can get his points in the regular season, often against inferior line matchups or with players he can play woth who mesh well with his skillset, Boeser and Miller), but leaders step up in the postseason.  We're now seeing who the leaders/main drivers are on the team, and EP doesn't seem to be one of them.  Unless he is nursing some chronic injury which we are all unaware of, I would even suggest he might well be the #3 center on this team right now, and #3 centers don't get paid huge amounts of money, which may make him expendable in the name of keeping the rest of the team together.                

lol that is not a realistic scenario ep doesn’t get traded unless he ask to be traded. You ain’t trading him anywhere unless he is ok with the trade. He doesn’t have a no trade clause but he can simply demand to be traded as soon as he gets there. No management would take that risk. No you can’t just threaten to suspend him.. coz he can just play half heartedly until the team trades him and the team that traded for him will have a massive headache and a giant L from the trade that would possibly cost the gm his job. 

imagine if say pld was traded to Vancouver prior to his ntc kicking in and he was having a decent season instead of the fiasco.. he demands to be traded and plays half ass like he is now in LA.. your only option is to trade him with retention or buy him out.. you don’t think it’ll cost you your job after trading all the asset for him?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but I'd rather at least attempt to build for a lengthier window of being competitive than assume it can't be done. 

Even a few seasons into the future could be unknown, this is why drafting and development are so important. We just went through nearly a decade of poor to mediocre teams, I'd rather try to at least be competitive long-term and in my view part of that is managing the length of contracts. I've zero interest in giving a guy who's probably a 3-4D right now 7-8 years. I've zero interest in giving him a deal that takes him into his late 30's, I'd rather eat a higher cap hit for shorter term and cap flex sooner than later in the form of expiring deals. 

I care, as I've made abundantly clear. I'd prefer the Canucks to generally stick to short and medium term deals, with the odd exception for higher end pieces like Pettersson, Hughes, and maybe Boeser going forward. 

Organizations often need things to go right, that ain't exclusive to the future. Franchises need to get lucky, to have things work out, but they've also got to put in the work. We've seemingly come a long way as an organization in just a couple years, if we continue to hire the right people and ownership is willing to pay I don't see why it couldn't continue going forward. 

Agreed, and I think we could fit a different player onto that Garland line and have it work out just fine. Joshua's had an impressive year and he brings a nice toolkit, but it's pretty clear that Garland is the driver on that line. 

Keeping Lindholm would be interesting, but I think we'd have to look at him as more of a top six piece than a 3C. I'd argue we need 1-2 top six players as is. Maybe come playoff time he could be swapped to 3C for the sake of matching lines, but generally if he stays he should be playing top six considering what it'll probably cost us to keep him. 

I'd like to keep Zadorov at 4 years, 5 max. 

I'm of the opinion that Hronek might not be fully healthy, I think it'd be a kneejerk move to ship him out. No, his second half wasn't as great as it could have been but we've been screaming for management to find a RD partner for Hughes for years, Hronek is the most skilled partner he's ever had. Obviously if there's a potential trade that makes sense management should explore it, but shipping him out also means we need to replace him with a top 4RD and there's no guarantee we'd get one via UFA. 

If Joshua's smart he'll cash in via UFA, his career earnings thus far haven't amounted to much and he'll likely never get a better chance to secure the bag. I think he's replaceable. I think his production is replaceable, I think his physicality is replaceable. Sure, his replacement may not hit as much but that's something that can be replaced as a collective. 

I'm fine with replacing Lafferty, he's also replaceable. 

I'm open to keeping Zadorov if the cap hit/term is right, if he wants too much someone else can pay him. This isn't to say management shouldn't try to retain him, but there should be a line they're not willing to cross in negotiations. I don't think they simply give him whatever he wants. I like how he's fit into the Canucks but I'm also not going to let this singular playoff run convince me he'll always be this player. He's at the age where he's likely peaking as a player, getting the term right would be very important. 

Myers would likely be willing to come back for 1-2 years, I have a hard time envisioning a better caliber RD who'd be willing to take that kind of term here. I also reckon he'd be likelier to take a discount for the Canucks than other UFA D. I've argued he'd be a good stopgap til Willander is ready, there's a lot to like. Obviously it depends on the term and cap hit, but if he's willing to take a team friendly deal that'd be great. 

I'd probably look to see if there's maybe a younger option we could bring in than Cole, which isn't to dump on his season. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back, but I'd prefer a younger D is possible. Bringing Myers back would fill the veteran role Cole also brings to the table. 

I think Hronek stays unless he's simply not willing to play ball when it comes to cap hit, which I think he ultimately will. If another team wants to make us an offer we can't refuse I'd be open to it. Shipping him out means we need to find another top 4RD though and there may not be many of those available come UFA; I think there's a solid chance Carolina finds a way to keep Pesce for example, and that Tanev is retained by Dallas. 

Friedman probably goes, as you've said. 

I'd be a little surprised if Silovs isn't the backup next season, but I also like the idea of him being the starter in Abbotsford, he'd likely play more games. 

I think the Canucks like Cole more than the average fan and I know he is not popular right now but he may be the cheaper option to help round out the defense. That being said if there is some misses on bringing back some of the forwards, definitely see the team re-allocating to defense.

Maybe a scenario exists where Myers comes back close to $4m per and Zadorov maxes out at around $5m per. Maybe make a strong push to land Matt Roy? he could be a solid piece for this club.

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Roy

Soucy - Myers

Juulsen

Sell the players on the two interchangeable pairings as second/third pairs kind of like this year has been.

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek

the more he plays for us

the  more he calls out the nhl and the media (“soucy suspension was driven by outside pressure”) 
On and off the ice this guy is what we’ve needed for years 

I will be very disappointed if Zad isn’t resigned 

it was reported he wanted 5x5 I’d give him that in a heart beat. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think the Canucks like Cole more than the average fan and I know he is not popular right now but he may be the cheaper option to help round out the defense. That being said if there is some misses on bringing back some of the forwards, definitely see the team re-allocating to defense.

Maybe a scenario exists where Myers comes back close to $4m per and Zadorov maxes out at around $5m per. Maybe make a strong push to land Matt Roy? he could be a solid piece for this club.

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Roy

Soucy - Myers

Juulsen

Sell the players on the two interchangeable pairings as second/third pairs kind of like this year has been.

Probably. My take is that he's a player in the twilight of his career, one who's showed signs of age this season. He's been pretty good value at 3M though, no question. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back, ideally we'd find a similar player who is younger though imo. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Myers came in at less than 4M tbh, could see him being closer to 3M on a 1-2 year deal. Depends on how badly he wants to stay. 

Roy would be an interesting option if he were to hit UFA, certainly. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he does, LA needs to address their goaltending and Byfield is due for a raise. They might have to let Arvidsson walk too. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Hughes - Hronek 

Zadorov - Roy

Soucy - Myers

Juulsen

Ian Cole has definitely been on the bad end of some plays, but he was also pretty instrumental in helping us win the first series.

Veteran guy that keeps things quiet in our end which is refreshing are seeing the fire drills we had many games last year.  Blocks a lot of shots and just does stuff right.

It was clear that when injuries hit and he was thrown into heavier minutes during the regular season that really changed things for him.  He can’t play 20 minutes a night at this point and they were actively looking to do load management and sit him for rests.

I think they sign him again unless something better happens to land in their lap.  Kind of a good bandaid until one of the prospects is ready to fill a role in the 3rd pairing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Combover said:

the more he plays for us

the  more he calls out the nhl and the media (“soucy suspension was driven by outside pressure”) 

I will be very disappointed if Zad isn’t resigned 

it was reported he wanted 5x5 I’d give him that in a heart beat. 

Seravelli said yesterday that he believes the number starts with a 6. The Canucks are the ones who want to get him 5x5. 

Seeing what he brings to the team this post season and down the stretch I hope he loves it enough to want to do 5.25 or 5.5.

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Seravelli said yesterday that he believes the number starts with a 6. The Canucks are the ones who want to get him 5x5. 

Seeing what he brings to the team this post season and down the stretch I hope he loves it enough to want to do 5.25 or 5.5.

Seravelli always tries to push the number up for the Canucks.  He said $12M+ for Petey.  I think he also said $8.5M+ for Miller.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Combover said:

Bingo. I went to this thread to post the exact same thing. This man is beaut and what's been missing for years. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Maybe 5 x 6 then. It's stupid long, but holy crap this guy is a diamond.

• Like 1

I've ran some numbers, and bringing back Lindholm @ $7M, Zadorov @ $5.5M, Joshua @ $4M, and Hronek @ $7M works... but it definitely messes with how we can structure our blueline in particular.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-???

Soucy-Juulsen

We don't have enough to go out and get a true top 4 RHD to pair next to Zadorov.  Most we could afford is $3M AAV or else we would be in a bad position for 2025/26 cap wise. 

This is all under the assumption that Mikheyev is traded for $0 cap coming back. 

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

I've ran some numbers, and bringing back Lindholm @ $7M, Zadorov @ $5.5M, Joshua @ $4M, and Hronek @ $7M works... but it definitely messes with how we can structure our blueline in particular.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-???

Soucy-Juulsen

We don't have enough to go out and get a true top 4 RHD to pair next to Zadorov.  Most we could afford is $3M AAV or else we would be in a bad position for 2025/26 cap wise. 

This is all under the assumption that Mikheyev is traded for $0 cap coming back. 

We are signing Myers to a very team friendly deal I am sure of it.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-???

Soucy-Juulsen

Myers at $3M?.... for 2-3 years

Probably gets offered more elsewhere though.

Actually think Hronek gets replaced with a Tanev like player...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-???

Soucy-Juulsen

At that point I think we'd have to let Joshua walk and allocate that cap to the D, perhaps in the form of Myers

Our improved D core is one of the biggest reasons we had the season we've had

I like Joshua but someone else could slot onto that third line, and I'd argue that an overall better quality D core is more important than keeping Joshua when it's Garland who drives that line anyway

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At that point I think we'd have to let Joshua walk and allocate that cap to the D, perhaps in the form of Myers

I like Joshua but someone else could slot onto that third line, and I'd argue that an overall better quality D core is more important than keeping Joshua when it's Garland who drives that line anyway

Myers over Joshua?

Myers over Joshua?

really, Myers over Joshua?

That is just nuts.  We are short PFs and need three Joshuas. Tocch's entire system is dependent on big forechecking forwards.  

Myers has generally been better in the playoffs but his last game was pure Chaos Giraffe.  Juulssen has earned that spot at a league min cap hit.  Myers can try to take it if willing to match the cap hit next year.

I prioritize Joshua, Zads and Lindholm, heck even Blueger well above Myers, his time here has been too chaotic and we need to make some choices, we can't afford the same lineup next year.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Myers over Joshua?

Myers over Joshua?

really, Myers over Joshua?

That is just nuts.  We are short PFs and need three Joshuas. Tocch's entire system is dependent on big forechecking forwards.  

Myers has generally been better in the playoffs but his last game was pure Chaos Giraffe.  Juulssen has earned that spot at a league min cap hit.  Myers can try to take it if willing to match the cap hit next year.

I prioritize Joshua, Zads and Lindholm, heck even Blueger well above Myers, his time here has been too chaotic and we need to make some choices, we can't afford the same lineup next year.

I did say perhaps. 

I think folks are getting too emotionally invested in Joshua, I absolutely believe he's replaceable. His production is replaceable by another player, and his physicality can be replaced as a collective. Hell, having Zadorov for a full season would replace a good chunk of it. 

I absolutely value having a better quality D core over keeping Joshua, whether that means bringing Myers back or whether that means bringing in someone else to fill that spot. Garland is the driver on that line, Joshua's an experiment that's worked out, I'm confident that management would be able to find another player who could thrive with Garland. 

The cost of team success and individual success is having to pay players, no good team gets to keep everyone. That's the way she goes under the cap whether you win the cup or miss the playoffs entirely. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno... I would prioritize Joshua over Myers.

Joshua has 8 points in 10 playoff games this year.  Clearly a playoff type player.  Also has played 1:46min SHTOI.  Leads the team in hits as well. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I dunno... I would prioritize Joshua over Myers.

Joshua has 8 points in 10 playoff games this year.  Clearly a playoff type player.  Also has played 1:46min SHTOI.  Leads the team in hits as well. 

And I get why folks would, but his playoffs could very well also drive up his ask, his regular season likely already had. If the dollars make sense maybe he stays, but I would not be remotely surprised to see him get his bag via UFA. 

The cost of success is players getting paid, Joshua's having success on the NHL's biggest stage and other GM's are watching. 

We're gonna be in tough to keep all of Zadorov, Hronek, Joshua, and Lindholm. Our trading Mikheyev isn't a sure thing and a buyout doesn't make sense. 

Bottom line is we're probably going to see a player or two folks would prefer to keep walk. 

Edited by Coconuts

On 5/14/2024 at 3:57 PM, Northern_Nuck said:

Eklund I’m mean seravelli shouldnt be viewed a reliable source. He has been wrong about every thing he’s posted about this club going back years.

from the horvat miller to the trades to ep demands 

the guy is basically the - weekly world news - of sport media ( those that know will know) 

On 5/14/2024 at 4:28 PM, Rekker said:

Maybe 5 x 6 then. It's stupid long, but holy crap this guy is a diamond.

Id be comfortable giving him the term.

Seeing how Myers contract aged makes me feel good about Zadorov.

Especially considering there should be significant cap growth.

Drance did a piece on how big dmen like these guys are a rare profile and they seem to age better.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 11:25 AM, Coconuts said:

And I get why folks would, but his playoffs could very well also drive up his ask, his regular season likely already had. If the dollars make sense maybe he stays, but I would not be remotely surprised to see him get his bag via UFA. 

The cost of success is players getting paid, Joshua's having success on the NHL's biggest stage and other GM's are watching. 

We're gonna be in tough to keep all of Zadorov, Hronek, Joshua, and Lindholm. Our trading Mikheyev isn't a sure thing and a buyout doesn't make sense. 

Bottom line is we're probably going to see a player or two folks would prefer to keep walk. 

Joshua is great so long as we have RT coaching him and Garland as his line mate. Outside of that he’s unproven and largely about to capitalize on one solid season at 28 years old. He’s absolutely important to re-sign…within a $$ ceiling. It Joshua takes 3 and Myers takes 3 we’re good. Either of them want more and it’s worth exploring whom else may be available. Myers will get his coin elsewhere, no doubt. Joshua…I don’t think is held in high enough regard yet that he’d break 4mil per. I have him pencilled  in at 3.75 per on the high end here.

Zadorov we need to sign or at least determine who is an accessible comparable that saves us at least 500-750K+ per year just on Z’s new contract price point. Not an easy task for ALL that he’s brought to our team. 

Edited by RWJC

On 5/15/2024 at 12:27 PM, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-???

Soucy-Juulsen

Hronrek isn't worth much more than what he's currently getting, imo.  Move him out and allocate his $ elsewhere.

I also think DJ has played himself out of van and is replaceable for cheaper

• Cheers 2