[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Exactly. It seems people just want 1 or 2 years of Ian Cole type players but then what? What are we stop gapping? We don’t have the young players. I don’t get it right now. Maybe I’ll see the bigger picture after July. 1 

Who knows what’ll happen. It’s funny how defensive some get on here when you don’t quite agree with every single move made by management. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, Devron said:

Exactly. It seems people just want 1 or 2 years of Ian Cole type players but then what? What are we stop gapping? We don’t have the young players. I don’t get it right now. Maybe I’ll see the bigger picture after July. 1 

Only so much space to work with atm. 

You’ll may have to sacrifice somewhere to gain elsewhere. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Devron said:

Hopefully they work out but I’d be happy if one of them made the show full time 

I think both of them are at least a couple of seasons away. They’re progress is tracking well, but wouldn’t want to put them out too soon. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Only so much space to work with atm. 

You’ll may have to sacrifice somewhere to gain elsewhere. 

Seems like we have enough for z and a top 6 forward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Should have extended Z soon as we traded for him. It was pretty apparent what we were getting. Hindsight yeah, but would've been a good idea with some foresight. Not happy if our replacement is Ian Cole that guy played great for 45 games or so them terrible, then turned it around a bit to unravel again against Edm mostly but he was tired. Sign him 2 more years and Myers for 3 is playing with fire. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Devron said:

5.25 was my number. How ever many years it took to get there 

That’s your max and you’d let him walk if he wanted more?

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I think both of them are at least a couple of seasons away. They’re progress is tracking well, but wouldn’t want to put them out too soon. 

Which is why a Cole type player signed cheap for two more years wouldn’t be a bad idea.

• Vintage 1

Just now, J-23 said:

That’s your max and you’d let him walk if he wanted more?

Guess it would depend on trade clauses, buyouts etc but ideally 5.25. It’s like Myers. I’m like the deal is ok but wtf is there a NMC for a 34 year old 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Should have extended Z soon as we traded for him. It was pretty apparent what we were getting. Hindsight yeah, but would've been a good idea with some foresight. Not happy if our replacement is Ian Cole that guy played great for 45 games or so them terrible, then turned it around a bit to unravel again against Edm mostly but he was tired. Sign him 2 more years and Myers for 3 is playing with fire. 

Zadorov is going to get good money on a very good playoff run. If you take the entire season into consideration including playoffs, 5 million is a very fair and good offer.

It’s unfortunate but this is what all good teams have to go through. Anything over 5 million and you should probably start looking at top 4 options like Roy.

I was hoping to get a Zadorov jersey, but shit happens. Now we have the cap space to do some other things.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which is why a Cole type player signed cheap for two more years wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Edmundson and Roy? Take that 5 million and plus to sign Roy.

Hughes - Roy

Soucy - Hronek

Edmundson - Myers

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

Yes but it makes sense. Everyone is just acting like we didn’t even try. Are we going to believe what the insiders say, or just make up our own perceptions of what happened? Assuming the reports are true, are you actually wanting to give him 5.5-6mill over 6 years? That’s just way too risky. 

Tell me what this “RISK” is that your talking about please.

Zadorov is a mutual dimensional D man.

Not super good at one thing,  but the Totality of things .

That gives him longetivity. 

Can he :

Skate very well ?     Yes

Can he shoot ?         Yes

Can he play a long physical game ?     Yes 

Can he score ?      Yes 

Can he Defend ?     Yes 

Can he intimidate ? Yes 

Good room guy ?  Yes 

Body Guard type ? Yes 

all of those types of things are diffrent “tools in his box” to go to as needed to prolong his career.

He showed well here when given the chance that HE ASKED for to prove himself .

those opportunities happened whe at times he was paired up with Hughes and Hroneck ,

and he showed extremely well ,. That why I think he could pair of on either of those 2 lines and be a great partner .

Now go back over that list and tell me how Hroneck or Hughes stack up against it.

Is the TOTALITY OF THEIR TYPE OF GAMES MORE OR LESS ?

And then see the effectiveness of Zadorov has very little risk .

Could he go back to Russia ?  Yes

( but he hates Putin and would get shot if he did) lol

i think the “risk” you are suggesting is more about your fear .

but please tell me what risk, and why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Edmundson and Roy? Take that 5 million and plus to sign Roy.

Hughes - Roy

Soucy - Hronek

Edmundson - Myers

That could work. Is Roy intimidating or just a 2 way guy? 

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Seems like we have enough for z and a top 6 forward. 

Depends the top 6 forward. Depends the asking price for Zadorov. 

We have 5 spots to fill with 15.5M and they are rumoured to be wanting a veteran backup. We also kind of need two 2nd pair D and 1-2 top 6 forwards. 

Going back to Cole types it might give us a cheaper stop gap to fill one of those 2nd pair spots while you sign an actual solid 2nd pair guy while also saving you cap for a top 6 forward and perhaps they could get a stop gap top 9 guy too?

They have to figure out how they want to allocate the cap and how they want to balance the roster. Can’t really afford to overpay anyone or at least anyone that isn’t a star if they’re willing to sacrifice in other areas. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

not to replace Zadorov ,  that should have happened instead of signing Myers .

Capspace was what was needed,. And to change the Guard from yesteryear.

I look at it like this...

A lot of people who support letting Z walk are saying "what if that contract looks like Myers' before it's over", which is a valid concern,, but I'd argue that we'd be just as upset if he didn't produce results at 5 million per year.....which is what we apparently offered.

Lets say for sake of argument that 6 million would have gotten it done. This thread is littered with opinions that 6 million is wayyyy too much, but it's a difference on one million per. What exactly were we going to do with that extra million that we wouldn't be able to do if we signed Zadorov?

Now we're seeing a lot of "we can use that money to sign other players". Okay, who? And why are we so sure that they are going to sign for a number that we're happy with?

Bottom line for me is that we're letting the guy we really need and want walk because of a million dollars, or maybe even less. All for the chance that we'll sign someone almost as good....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If Zadorov doesn't sign with us, who does he sign with?

I'm guessing New Jersey.

I just got a weird feeling LA will pose a very strong bid for him  - his type of gritty play plus his confident character/ fashion just bleeds LA + the nicer weather along the coast.  They got rid of PLD and picked up Jeannot today - another gritty player.

Otherwise, the usual teams like Toronto, NJ and maybe even Tampa (to help anchor the back along with Hedman + Sergi) - that would just be a monsterous back line.

If he's asking for 5.5M+ and Canucks are not budging,  hope they can (with 5-6M) then pick up another Big D + a serviceable fourth liner that can scare the opposition a bit with some hitting.  To have DJ and another tough 4th liner, would make the team a bit more balanced.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Tell me what this “RISK” is that your talking about please.

Zadorov is a mutual dimensional D man.

Not super good at one thing,  but the Totality of things .

That gives him longetivity. 

Can he :

Skate very well ?     Yes

Can he shoot ?         Yes

Can he play a long physical game ?     Yes 

Can he score ?      Yes 

Can he Defend ?     Yes 

Can he intimidate ? Yes 

Good room guy ?  Yes 

Body Guard type ? Yes 

all of those types of things are diffrent “tools in his box” to go to as needed to prolong his career.

He showed well here when given the chance that HE ASKED for to prove himself .

those opportunities happened whe at times he was paired up with Hughes and Hroneck ,

and he showed extremely well ,. That why I think he could pair of on either of those 2 lines and be a great partner .

Now go back over that list and tell me how Hroneck or Hughes stack up against it.

Is the TOTALITY OF THEIR TYPE OF GAMES MORE OR LESS ?

And then see the effectiveness of Zadorov has very little risk .

Could he go back to Russia ?  Yes

( but he hates Putin and would get shot if he did) lol

i think the “risk” you are suggesting is more about your fear .

but please tell me what risk, and why?

As I see it Sam, the "risk" is that he won't live up to his contract. The same risk that you take with every single player you sign....

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

A lot of people who support letting Z walk are saying "what if that contract looks like Myers' before it's over", which is a valid concern,, but I'd argue that we'd be just as upset if he didn't produce results at 5 million per year.....which is what we apparently offered.

Lets say for sake of argument that 6 million would have gotten it done. This thread is littered with opinions that 6 million is wayyyy too much, but it's a difference on one million per. What exactly were we going to do with that extra million that we wouldn't be able to do if we signed Zadorov?

Now we're seeing a lot of "we can use that money to sign other players". Okay, who? And why are we so sure that they are going to sign for a number that we're happy with?

Bottom line for me is that we're letting the guy we really need and want walk because of a million dollars, or maybe even less. All for the chance that we'll sign someone almost as good....

Seems Zadorov wanted top 4 D money

What if you can have Brady Skeji for same amount as Z?

I'd take Skeji and probably every other GM would too

21 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I think he has some untapped potential offensively. He’s got a booming shot. He should see some PP time. 

Heck, give him 6/6.5 for 8 years. Dude is a rare breed of defenceman and one we have been lacking since God knows when. 

image.gif.aa0e977607574362cdcb1e502c648718.gif

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

not to replace Zadorov ,  that should have happened instead of signing Myers .

Capspace was what was needed,. And to change the Guard from yesteryear.

I don’t disagree, feels like that was the first sentimental signing this management group has made.

That being said it sounds like the coaches really pushed to retain Myers. They said he plays exactly how they want to play. Would they say the same thing about Zadorov?

13 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

There were rumors they were potentially looking to re-trade Z at the TDL then things seemed to shift with him and he settled in. Things can change quickly and hopefully mgmt can find a good mix of new blood to add to the current group (or Z circles back around at a decent AAV).

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

To me it tells me finding Petey a winger or two is a bigger priority than potentially overpaying Zadorov

• Cheers 2