[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I look at it like this...

A lot of people who support letting Z walk are saying "what if that contract looks like Myers' before it's over", which is a valid concern,, but I'd argue that we'd be just as upset if he didn't produce results at 5 million per year.....which is what we apparently offered.

Lets say for sake of argument that 6 million would have gotten it done. This thread is littered with opinions that 6 million is wayyyy too much, but it's a difference on one million per. What exactly were we going to do with that extra million that we wouldn't be able to do if we signed Zadorov?

Now we're seeing a lot of "we can use that money to sign other players". Okay, who? And why are we so sure that they are going to sign for a number that we're happy with?

Bottom line for me is that we're letting the guy we really need and want walk because of a million dollars, or maybe even less. All for the chance that we'll sign someone almost as good....

Ripple effect has to be considered as well though...can't overpay one guy when other negotiations are still outstanding and/or mgmt wants to set the bar for future negotiations. Set you your max price and live with it.

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Seems Zadorov wanted top 4 D money

What if you can have Brady Skeji for same amount as Z?

I'd take Skeji and probably every other GM would too

Yeah, what if? What if we can have a lot of players. First you have to convince them to come.

I like Skjei as a player, but I don't think he carries the physical presence that Zadorov does. The Canucks lack that intimidation factor, which is exactly what Z brought to the table. The fact that he actually has skills for such a big man makes him even more of a fit, IMO.

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

As I see it Sam, the "risk" is that he won't live up to his contract. The same risk that you take with every single player you sign....

Zadorov is already a better player than what Myers was when he first came here ..

Let’s say Myers has 2 more years of fair hockey in him .

Its almost impossible for Zadorov for his size and the way he skates to drop off in 4 years to Myers standards now .

Far stronger / bigger frame / better potential ceiling 

Zadorov is 29.

going up to 6 years movable after 4years would not be risky.

it might be even more motivating with movement clauses , and he would play exceptionally well to complete his contract here , if it’s called home.

Edited by SilentSam

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To me it tells me finding Petey a winger or two is a bigger priority than potentially overpaying Zadorov

And that extra million is going to tip the scales?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Ripple effect has to be considered as well though...can't overpay one guy when other negotiations are still outstanding and/or mgmt wants to set the bar for future negotiations. Set you your max price and live with it.

I guess.....and be on the outside looking in when all is said and done....

7 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Seems Zadorov wanted top 4 D money

What if you can have Brady Skeji for same amount as Z?

I'd take Skeji and probably every other GM would too

Haven't heard much about him, are there rumors on where he is expected to go? Utah?

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Zadorov is already a better player than what Myers was when he first came here ..

Its almost impossible for Zadorov for his size and the way he skates to drop off in 4 years to Myers standards now .

Zadorov is 29.

it might be even more motivating with movement clauses , and he would play exceptionally well to complete his contract here , if it’s called home.

I was playing Devil's advocate. The people who are adamant about not paying Z what he wants are afraid that he'll regress, or somehow won't live up to the contract.

I was pointing out that this is the risk you take every time you sign a Free Agent.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess.....and be on the outside looking in when all is said and done....

Ya that is the risk but Mgmts argument will be that they already have two LD but I don't disagree that Zadorov sure would have been nice.

Really comes down to what they get with that cap space...hopefully a solid D or two and a really good winger for EP

I think we should re-sign Z and a winger like Skinner.

If we miss out on Z, I’d forget about Skinner too and push hard for Stamkos. 

If we wait a little bit, we may be able to get a cheaper defenceman or we can go the trade route. Höglander or Podz could fetch a decent return.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t disagree, feels like that was the first sentimental signing this management group has made.

That being said it sounds like the coaches really pushed to retain Myers. They said he plays exactly how they want to play. Would they say the same thing about Zadorov?

About Zadorov , im sure they did , Foote and Gonchar loved working with him and vice versa ..

im hoping this is just all a big joke to wind us all up ,

and they’ve had a pre-emptive deal they have agreed too.

But the realist in me says they made a mistake signing Myers again .

That 3 mil was crucial to Keeping the Team on the upswing .. even going to a number has in mind.

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I was playing Devil's advocate. The people who are adamant about not paying Z what he wants are afraid that he'll regress, or somehow won't live up to the contract.

I was pointing out that this is the risk you take every time you sign a Free Agent.

appreciate your clarity . 

we’ve been shell shocked by poor contracts 

for a very long time here .

The Ghosts of Eriksson, Luongo,

Sundin,   the list is long ..

and honestly the max number Pettersson got ??   I like EP,.    But at least ask him if he’d “hometown” down from it.

cheers 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And that extra million is going to tip the scales?

With things this tight yeah. 

2 top 6 forwards or one really good one 

2 2nd pair D

Veteran backup G. 

15.5M and we probably still don’t accomplish getting it all. 

Also sets a precedent if you’re gonna pay a 4/5 D upwards to 6M.  And if you’re gonna pay that much why not try to get an upgrade?

Also what’s the priority? Seems like Wingers for Petey. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

With things this tight yeah. 

2 top 6 forwards or one really good one 

2 2nd pair D

Veteran backup G. 

15.5M and we probably still don’t accomplish getting it all. 

Also sets a precedent if you’re gonna pay a 4/5 D upwards to 6M.  And if you’re gonna pay that much why not try to get an upgrade?

Also what’s the priority? Seems like Wingers for Petey. 

It might be now....but if the report is to be believed they already offered Z 5 million. So it's not really about "priorities", it's about an arbitrary number.

I disagree that a million extra to Z would have messed things up in other areas.

19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Thats what I’ve been saying to. We know Z. UFA’s could be an immediate F up like Mik

It might be now....but if the report is to be believed they already offered Z 5 million. So it's not really about "priorities", it's about an arbitrary number.

I disagree that a million extra to Z would have messed things up in other areas.

It is about priorities if they valued the D-core over Petey’s line they’d be willing to give Zadorov his contract and another 2nd pair D at the expense of getting lesser gains elsewhere. 

They also talked about Hronek potentially anchoring his own line meaning they want to find someone for Hughes to do that. 

They could think Hronek is more capable of carrying a pairing than Z too. 

top 6 forwards aren’t cheap and a veteran back up cost us 1.8M last year in cap. You also gotta get another D on top of Zadorov for the 2nd pairing.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It is about priorities if they valued the D-core over Petey’s line they’d be willing to give Zadorov his contract and another 2nd pair D at the expense of getting lesser gains elsewhere. 

They also talked about Hronek potentially anchoring his own line meaning they want to find someone for Hughes to do that. 

top 6 forwards aren’t cheap and a veteran back up cost us 1.8M last year in cap. You also gotta get another D on top of Zadorov for the 2nd pairing.

Smaller , non-physical , top six forwards do not win you championships. 

We are 0-fer for finding wingers for Petey, maybe his wingers are not the problem?

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Lol , now you’re comparing me or my opinion to Allvin ? 

it’s an OPINION .   It’s what we do here .

I saw Cole play great for his contract as the “last guy” on D .

And I’m happy with my opinion.

But you can call Alvin and get him to talk to me if you want lol

You seem to lack any or bring any merit for discussion ,  but if your red lights going on for my comments, just now that they’re are prettier things you could be d doing or looking at .

Im tiling my bathroom,  it far  more engaging  than what I’m getting from you.

Id say sorry to you ,  but I find you being condescending to me ,  you’ll only get it back .

My merit is that i know how much money we have at hand.Canucks first,players second.Of course you have rights on your opinion.I am not here to fight.You better take care of that tiling.Your wife might be more upset then you.I will wait few more days to be able to tell you,i told you so.maybe you should call Zadorov to help you.ha ha

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kind of hard to decipher what you're saying here....:classic_unsure:

Are you saying they shouldn't have offered the 5 million? Or are you saying that the extra million would have killed the chances of signing a forward and another defender?

34 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Zadorov is 29.

No, no he is not and RT obviously doesn't think so either

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, spook007 said:

FIFY.... and spot on.

Ya, I heard today, Dreger said they offered Z $5M.  That's too much for a bottom pair guy.  

Zadorov is 29 of course and this is his chance to set himself and his family up for life so I can't hold it against him

• Cheers 1

Kind of hard to decipher what you're saying here....:classic_unsure:

Are you saying they shouldn't have offered the 5 million? Or are you saying that the extra million would have killed the chances of signing a forward and another defender?

Saying that it seems like they are trying to get as many of the 

two top 6 forwards or high end forward. 

two top 4 D

And a veteran G

as humanly possible with 15.5M in cap. 

By all reports and rumours. 

It sounds like they’re comfortable of trying out Hronek anchoring his line(likely with lesser D) if they can find someone for Hughes though they might have wanted Zadorov there at certain price. 

That they are focused in on Petey’s line and that’s where most of our cap hit is gonna go. 

That they want a vet G.