[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

lol , your comparing Jeff Cowan and Jason King to Nikita Zadorov!!

LMFAO !!!  

That’s like playing NAKED TWISTER with 5 gallons of Mazola Oil. !!

Dab Slipping GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

The common denominator is the small sample size of games not the players. Breaking the bank for 13 games is frankly stupid. His worth to our franchise is what was offered if he wants more he can go get it from someone else. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

2nd season?  this management group has been together .    Their history with us is short ,   Possibly stable elsewhere.  But I think Sid Malkin Fluery and many others may have helped with the panic 😉 

You can discuss this with Rutherfords 3 rings 😉

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The common denominator is the small sample size of games not the players. Breaking the bank for 13 games is frankly stupid. His worth to our franchise is what was offered if he wants more he can go get it from someone else. 

Ya , nice argument. What exactly was the price point that broke the bank? Name it and then tell me what it’s gonna cost to replace him or a resemblance of him. 5 mill easy minus the grit and bone crushing hits . Other than Juulsen name me a Canuck D that can actually deliver a decent hit then add to it a guy that’s gonna make guys like Kane or janner teanott think twice on taking liberties. Honestly, what was the magic number. 10 teams in on him on July 1st they know the number and won’t bat an eye. Good luck finding that player in this era. 

Edited by dannydog

11 minutes ago, dannydog said:

Other than Juulsen name me a Canuck D that can actually deliver a decent hit then add to it a guy that’s gonna make guys like Kane or janner teanott think twice on taking liberties.

But liberties are taken with him in the lineup.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tell me what this “RISK” is that your talking about please.

Zadorov is a mutual dimensional D man.

Not super good at one thing,  but the Totality of things .

That gives him longetivity. 

Can he :

Skate very well ?     Yes

Can he shoot ?         Yes

Can he play a long physical game ?     Yes 

Can he score ?      Yes 

Can he Defend ?     Yes 

Can he intimidate ? Yes 

Good room guy ?  Yes 

Body Guard type ? Yes 

all of those types of things are diffrent “tools in his box” to go to as needed to prolong his career.

He showed well here when given the chance that HE ASKED for to prove himself .

those opportunities happened whe at times he was paired up with Hughes and Hroneck ,

and he showed extremely well ,. That why I think he could pair of on either of those 2 lines and be a great partner .

Now go back over that list and tell me how Hroneck or Hughes stack up against it.

Is the TOTALITY OF THEIR TYPE OF GAMES MORE OR LESS ?

And then see the effectiveness of Zadorov has very little risk .

Could he go back to Russia ?  Yes

( but he hates Putin and would get shot if he did) lol

i think the “risk” you are suggesting is more about your fear .

but please tell me what risk, and why?

The risk that he becomes a close to 6m defenceman playing on the third pairing for most of his career… like he has been most of his life. 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

.. From 3 generations of hockey ago?

1 hour ago, dannydog said:

Ya , nice argument. What exactly was the price point that broke the bank? Name it and then tell me what it’s gonna cost to replace him or a resemblance of him. 5 mill easy minus the grit and bone crushing hits . Other than Juulsen name me a Canuck D that can actually deliver a decent hit then add to it a guy that’s gonna make guys like Kane or janner teanott think twice on taking liberties. Honestly, what was the magic number. 10 teams in on him on July 1st they know the number and won’t bat an eye. Good luck finding that player in this era. 

He didn’t deter any liberties though and to answer who else is available see:

Dillon, Brenden

Edmonson, Joel 

For starters. And trades are available too if necessary 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He didn’t deter any liberties though and to answer who else is available see:

Dillon, Brenden

Edmonson, Joel 

For starters. And trades are available too if necessary 

That is an important point. Nothing stopped or deterred the opposition from hitting Hughes at every chance to the point the Predators knocked him down a couple notches.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, dannydog said:

i dunno man. Zadorov while I love him, he has been on 5 teams now, and his next team is going to be his sixth. That's a lot of teams that seem to continue to pass on him. It makes me curious as to why that is. Does he overvalue himself, which is why teams don't seem to agree with him? He's always played as a third pairing defenseman. And simply put, the money that he's wanting could be used more wisely to better the rest of the roster. If another team feels like he's worth 6m, then all the more power to them. With so much dead money on the books especially with OEL, we just can't afford to mismanage the finances. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

That is an important point. Nothing stopped or deterred the opposition from hitting Hughes at every chance to the point the Predators knocked him down a couple notches.

That's a fair point. 

Also hearing that Dillon isn't interested now in coming to Van? What happened there?

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

It was actually a decent gamble... like every single attempt is... 

And lets see who comes in, as the cap space left open should be counted the other way, I guess?

Imagine if Demko had stayed healthy? better than average chance we take 1 of the 4 we lost against Oilers... and the rest would be history...

Absolutely With a healthy Demko the possibility of being in the finals increases- in addition a healthy/ producing Pettersson 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Absolutely With a healthy Demko the possibility of being in the finals increases- in addition a healthy/ producing Pettersson 

Spot on... we were a lot closer than most of us actually thought...

I was one of those being happy with play offs, and winning one round, I considered a win... being so close to knocking one of the pre play offs favourites out just showed how good the team really was...

The real test starts now... how to build on last seasons success without a few of the players that made it happen...

it will be a real interesting off season and in particular, which direction the team takes in free agency.... Bring on Mondays frenzy... 🙂

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, dannydog said:

Myers...... Ask Duncan Keith or drysaitls ribs.... But it does leave a hole....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i dunno man. Zadorov while I love him, he has been on 5 teams now, and his next team is going to be his sixth. That's a lot of teams that seem to continue to pass on him. It makes me curious as to why that is. Does he overvalue himself, which is why teams don't seem to agree with him? He's always played as a third pairing defenseman. And simply put, the money that he's wanting could be used more wisely to better the rest of the roster. If another team feels like he's worth 6m, then all the more power to them. With so much dead money on the books especially with OEL, we just can't afford to mismanage the finances. 

It does make you think. But those earlier passes were on a big guy trying to develop his NHL game. When big guys make mistakes on the ice they usually stand out. There is little doubt that Zad wants to be a top 4 d-man which would mean he would be a 2LD on the Canucks. How does Zad stack up against Soucy? Soucy is a tad over $3 mil. The 3LD on the Canucks struggles to get TOI as Hughes eats it up. For PA to resign Zad he has to see him as a 2LD and that is the crunch especially at + $5 mil and term. 

The other question here is 2RD? Is Meyers penciled in there again this year? IMHO RT has to consider Hronek anchoring has own pairing at 2RD at even strength. That would mean signing a solid 1RD to solidify the d-side game playing with Hughes.  

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, dannydog said:

What's it going to cost to replace him?  Probably $3.5-$4m dollars.  Hrs a bottom pairing dman 

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Norris Hughes - Tanev could easily be the best top pair in the league next season.

That gives us a second pair of Soucy - Hronek 

Then the remaining job is to just find a veteran LD for Myers in free agency or trade.

It would be downright hilarious if Tanev came back here after the leafs tried to get it done. I know they didn’t give up much but still.. 

Someone reported Tanev is right at the top of our priority list.  If we could land him and say Dillon/Edmundson/Forbort to play with Myers we’d be stacked. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I think it is more that he will likely get better offers other places...but I could be wrong. 

That’s how I read the report as well.  Not that he doesn’t want to sign here, but that right now we aren’t planning to offer him enough to get it done.