[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

35 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Norris Hughes - Tanev could easily be the best top pair in the league next season.

That gives us a second pair of Soucy - Hronek 

Then the remaining job is to just find a veteran LD for Myers in free agency or trade.

If rumors are accurate, and they may not be, would you give Tanev a $3.5/$4Mx6 contract?

I am torn because I think he is a great fit for Hughes and that playing with Hughes could extend his career (some much time spent on offense) but Unlike Hronek with Hughes and am still a little worried about that term.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

43 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Hope Zadorov doesn’t get the deal he was looking for an has to back track to us and we give him half a million less than what we first offered him. 

Dredger is the one yapping about a 5 mil offer that was turned down from us.

Really hard to say how much more another gm will go. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It would be downright hilarious if Tanev came back here after the leafs tried to get it done. I know they didn’t give up much but still.. 

Someone reported Tanev is right at the top of our priority list.  If we could land him and say Dillon/Edmundson/Forbort to play with Myers we’d be stacked. 

I think that this is the plan.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If rumors are accurate, and they may not be, would you give Tanev a $3.5/$4Mx6 contract?

I am torn because I think he is a great fit for Hughes and that playing with Hughes could extend his career (some much time spent on offense) but Unlike Hronek with Hughes and am still a little worried about that term.

without a moment's hesitation. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Hope Zadorov doesn’t get the deal he was looking for an has to back track to us and we give him half a million less than what we first offered him. 

This should re-set the Canucks priorities,

and possibly return to Z….   

bit of a pipe dream. But they tried.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dredger is the one yapping about a 5 mil offer that was turned down from us.

Really hard to say how much more another gm will go. 

Maybe he's just testing free agency and then circling back to the Canucks to see if they have any inkling to move up a tad. Pretty sure we'll get last dibs...

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

It does make you think. But those earlier passes were on a big guy trying to develop his NHL game. When big guys make mistakes on the ice they usually stand out. There is little doubt that Zad wants to be a top 4 d-man which would mean he would be a 2LD on the Canucks. How does Zad stack up against Soucy? Soucy is a tad over $3 mil. The 3LD on the Canucks struggles to get TOI as Hughes eats it up. For PA to resign Zad he has to see him as a 2LD and that is the crunch especially at + $5 mil and term. 

The other question here is 2RD? Is Meyers penciled in there again this year? IMHO RT has to consider Hronek anchoring has own pairing at 2RD at even strength. That would mean signing a solid 1RD to solidify the d-side game playing with Hughes.  

You bring up some good points.

How does Zad stack up against Soucy?  

Based on the short sample of games at the end of the year and the playoffs and cutting through all the bullshit about Zadorov being a career 3rd pairing D-man, putting it succintly, Zadorov is simply better than Soucy. And I like Soucy. Given the OEL poison pill that Benning left us, we have a cap headache and need to be frugal with our money, especially given that the OEL dead cap will max out in two years. Just not enough cap to sign everyone.

RT has to consider Hronek anchoring his own pairing at 2RD 

The question that I have is ...... which Hronek will show up at the start of this new season?

1st half Hronek could play anywhere on the D corps but I would give him his own pairing opposite a defensively responsible partner. I don't like Hughes and Hronek together in the defensive zone.

If 2nd half Hronek shows up at the start of the season.....there was some suggestion that Hronek's shoulder was injured for most of the second half......then we need to have a plan. Second half Hronek at 7.25M for the next 8 years is an anchor that would hinder our pursuit of the cup. Hopefully, Hronek does not have a reoccurring shoulder problem.

That would mean signing a solid 1RD to solidify the d-side game playing with Hughes.  

I am thinking that we need a stopgap player for two or three years......until Willander is ready.

The way that Hughes plays.....he has the puck most of the time when he is on the ice......he doesn't need  to be partnered with an expensive Free Agent D-man. He could use someone that is good in the D zone, that helps in transition and not just passes D to D. If that partner is also a little on the truculent side and protective of Hughes, that would be a bonus. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

At the rate of the salary rumours for certain players I can’t see Z coming back. Would love it if he did, but there is money to be spent this year and it makes no sense for any player in high demand to take a cut in pay unless it’s a personal decision that they want to play for a certain team (eg. Myers)

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It does make you think. But those earlier passes were on a big guy trying to develop his NHL game. When big guys make mistakes on the ice they usually stand out. There is little doubt that Zad wants to be a top 4 d-man which would mean he would be a 2LD on the Canucks. How does Zad stack up against Soucy? Soucy is a tad over $3 mil. The 3LD on the Canucks struggles to get TOI as Hughes eats it up. For PA to resign Zad he has to see him as a 2LD and that is the crunch especially at + $5 mil and term. 

The other question here is 2RD? Is Meyers penciled in there again this year? IMHO RT has to consider Hronek anchoring has own pairing at 2RD at even strength. That would mean signing a solid 1RD to solidify the d-side game playing with Hughes.  

I am beginning to think that you are on to what the plan is. If we are looking for partners for Hughes and Hronek, then we have to limit what we can give Zadorov. You are right, Z was offered more then Soucy so that would mean he would be in the second pairing. 

I am thinking they are going way off the board and they have something up there sleeve(trade?) which nobody anticipated.

I am sure they seen the abuse Hughes took and that they probably want to rectify that.

July 1st should prove to be an interesting day.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Artemus said:

You bring up some good points.

How does Zad stack up against Soucy?  

Based on the short sample of games at the end of the year and the playoffs and cutting through all the bullshit about Zadorov being a career 3rd pairing D-man, putting it succintly, Zadorov is simply better than Soucy. And I like Soucy. Given the OEL poison pill that Benning left us, we have a cap headache and need to be frugal with our money, especially given that the OEL dead cap will max out in two years. Just not enough cap to sign everyone.

RT has to consider Hronek anchoring his own pairing at 2RD 

The question that I have is ...... which Hronek will show up at the start of this new season?

1st half Hronek could play anywhere on the D corps but I would give him his own pairing opposite a defensively responsible partner. I don't like Hughes and Hronek together in the defensive zone.

If 2nd half Hronek shows up at the start of the season.....there was some suggestion that Hronek's shoulder was injured for most of the second half......then we need to have a plan. Second half Hronek at 7.25M for the next 8 years is an anchor that would hinder our pursuit of the cup. Hopefully, Hronek does not have a reoccurring shoulder problem.

That would mean signing a solid 1RD to solidify the d-side game playing with Hughes.  

I am thinking that we need a stopgap player for two or three years......until Willander is ready.

The way that Hughes plays.....he has the puck most of the time when he is on the ice......he doesn't need  to be partnered with an expensive Free Agent D-man. He could use someone that is good in the D zone, that helps in transition and not just passes D to D. If that partner is also a little on the truculent side and protective of Hughes, that would be a bonus. 

Bang On! Artemus, thank you for a well thought out opinion on this matter. I like how you think. :classic_biggrin:

• Cheers 1

Rumour / Spec is Tanev to TO ,

on a 3 - 4m x 6 yr….  34 yrs old > 40yrs old

From what I understand that spreads the cap hit so it’s manageable, and if CT retires he still gets paid but it’s off the books ??

Isnt that Cap “circumventing” ?

Isnt that why we were hit with Luongo’s Contract ?

Sorry wrong thread.

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The Canucks haven't traded away his rights, so I don't think it's dead in the water yet

This is my last thread of hope too, I though we were going to after the "news" the other day. Lets keep Z, go for Toffoli or Monahan etc please God lets this stamkos and Guentzel shit die. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Rumour / Spec is Tanev to TO ,

on a 3 - 4m x 6 yr….  34 yrs old > 40yrs old

From what I understand that spreads the cap hit so it’s manageable, and if CT retires he still gets paid but it’s off the books ??

Isnt that Cap “circumventing” ?

Isnt that why we were hit with Luongo’s Contract ?

Sorry wrong thread.

If CT retires he does not get paid.

If he is placed on LTIR......he would be paid.

Not "Cap Circumvention" as the newer rules require.... IIRC...... that each year's pay vary by not more than 50% from the AAV.

Unlike the Luongo "Recapture Penalty" that had Roberto making 1M for the last three or four years of that contract. Years that he wasn't realistically going to play.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

This is my last thread of hope too, I though we were going to after the "news" the other day. Lets keep Z, go for Toffoli or Monahan etc please God lets this stamkos and Guentzel shit die. 

Tampa is just sad. Low balling their captain that won them cups to chase something else 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I just can’t beleive that after what we sent away for Lindholm and Zadorov ,.  We did not retain at least one of them .

Management posturing does nothing to create an environment for players to sign .

I get that they saw targets of opportunity in other UFA’s,   But other teams have been moving to sign guys that may have been on our “plan B”,.  If we have one.

So if plan B is to reverse and try to retain Lindholm and Zadorov,.  They may have to pay more than what they thought,. 
or the Posture Management took may have insulted them enough not to return.

just a thought.

… meanwhile Utah is trying to stack with UFA’s,  and I beleive they have a lot of money.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2