[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

‘Nikita Zadorov, defense

Zadorov is the type of player that is just waiting to get overpaid on the open market. Listed at 6-foot-6 and 248 pounds, he is the type of big physical defender that general managers absolutely love regardless of whether or not they can play. 

Add in the fact he is coming off a strong postseason showing and general managers are going to let recency bias kick in and overvalue a player that probably isn't anything more than a good No. 5 or 6 defenseman. Let somebody else overpay.’

i wanted him to sign here, but not for over 5 million. This article is a list of UFAs that will get more than they are worth. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Seravelli was saying there have been rumblings about Zadorov to Carolina 

I heard 2 days ago that they may move from Ekblad , even signed..

I did think that they must have had scouts watching him while they pre-scouted the team ..  my thoughts were exactly that .

it makes sense .   And I’m sure AE would leave enough behind, to get to Zadorov’s numbers.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Myers doesn’t affect our ability to sign Zadorov. At all. 

I think 500k could have been saved on that regardless..  we could have found someone to replace him after signing Zadorov.

like Kulikov ,  who played well in the Cup Finals .

anyways you and I have had this conversation and I’m not going to regurgitate everything all over again ,.  

You sir have a good night .

Just now, SilentSam said:

I think 500k could have been saved on that regardless..  we could have found someone to replace him after signing Zadorov.

anyways you and I have had this conversation and I’m not going to regurgitate everything all over again ,.  

I still think 5 is over paying Zadorov by $1mill anything above 5 is insanity. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Thats funny, I had that "Blah , blah " with him too. :classic_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would make sense with all the D men they lost.

Apparently they've doubled back on Skjei as well, having lost Guentzel

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I heard 2 days ago that they may move from Ekblad , even signed..

I did think that they must have had scouts watching him while they pre-scouted the team ..  my thoughts were exactly that .

it makes sense .   And I’m sure AE would leave enough behind, to get to Zadorov’s numbers.

I think Florida has to move Ekblad to keep the other pieces they want to keep

The interesting bit will be whether they're able to retain Montour, because as of right now Ekblad the only top 4RD they have under contract

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I still think 5 is over paying Zadorov by $1mill anything above 5 is insanity. 

I think fair value with term the number is a bit higher .    I’d go 5.4 - 5.8 x 7 or 6 years.

Hes 29 ,. The wheels will not fall off him at 36, when he would sign a “friendly contract” for about 3m

Honestly,   The way he played in the playoffs , is the type of game that’s been repressed from not getting the opportunities he asked for.

Always a  Role player ,

just because he’s big ..

And a “late bloomer” because of that.

Had he come to Vancouver instead of Calgary with this Coaching staff at 25 or 26 yrs ,  We would have helped bring  the best player out of him then.

you have to admit ,  he lit up when they let him loose to play outside the system if he saw an opportunity to swiftly help on the attack.

That shot is close to 100 mph ,  but it’s heavy.

Let’s see more !

Besides,  there isn’t going to be anyone left in UFA that offers the same type of game he does with a level of potential that’s untapped.

it’s just how I feel,.   

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thats funny, I had that "Blah , blah " with him too. :classic_biggrin:

You do that a lot .

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think fair value with term the number is a bit higher .    I’d go 5.4 - 5.8 x 7 or 6 years.

Hes 29 ,. The wheels will not fall off him at 36, when he would sign a “friendly contract” for about 3m

Honestly,   The way he played in the playoffs , is the type of game that’s been repressed from not getting the opportunities he asked for.

Always a  Role player ,

just because he’s big ..

Had he come to Vancouver instead of Calgary with this Coaching staff at 25 or 26 yrs ,  We would have helped bring  the best player out of him then.

you have to admit ,  he lit up when they let him loose to play outside the system if he saw an opportunity to swiftly help on the attack.

Let’s see more !

Besides,  there isn’t going to be anyone left in UFA that offers the same type of game he does with a level of potential that’s untapped.

it’s just how I feel,.   

You do that a lot .

At 29 he pretty much is what he is and 5 is the cap for a guy like that.

we could recoup most of what he brings for less with either Edmunson or Dillon and have money for a top and middle six winger. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Always a  Role player ,

just because he’s big ..

Let’s see more !

it’s just how I feel,.   

do you also still feel that a top four dman is a top pairing dman? 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

At 29 he pretty much is what he is and 5 is the cap for a guy like that.

we could recoup most of what he brings for less with either Edmunson or Dillon and have money for a top and middle six winger. 

Yeah… going over 5 for a number 5 defenceman is just nuts. But round in round this conversation goes… 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And? I’m not ok with paying 6th dmen top 4 money. That is not what winning teams do. 

your casting him into a position that he has shown he is better than ,  

which is what every other team has done ..

The staff here gave him a chance to “show” what he was talking about and he did .

He is pushing for 4d ,  and that money / term I’ve suggested shows that,

Put yourself in his position ,.  You show well pushing for the 2 top pairings , it’s recognized by the Coaches.

Management say we will pay you as a #6 but you can play in the top 4 .

are you satisfied?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

The staff here gave him a chance to “show” what he was talking about and he did .

Put yourself in his position ,.  You show well pushing for the 2 top pairings , it’s recognized by the Coaches.

are you satisfied?

13 games because 2 dmen ahead of him were injured the bulk of his career outside those 13 games his game is a bottom pair dman. 

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

are you satisfied?

4+ is not really bottom pair money. 5+ you better be on the 2nd pair or you’re significantly over paid. 

Assuming they got anywhere close to 5, they were being more than fair.