[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Just now, Dizzle said:

Yeah… going over 5 for a number 5 defenceman is just nuts. But round in round this conversation goes… 

He's not 5D he's a 4

Unless we are actually saying Myers is better than him. 

If van signed Z, this is how I would rank our guys

Hughes

Hronek

Soucy 

Zadorov 

Myers 

Juulsen

Friedman 

Besides the one fluky goal through Skinner, I thought his points were well earned this playoffs. 

It's hard to find a combination of tall and heavy (not just tall a la Myers and Soucy) that can also skate really well. 

He then also hits like a truck, trashtalks and backs it up by fighting. 

If we do sign him at over 5m, that means we are confident he can evolve into a solid top 4. 

It's just too bad Myers can't anchor a 3rd pairing with someone like Juulsen. 

He is a good fit with Soucy but when paired with a Zadorov, Cole, Juulsen, Myers looks like the 6D...

If Z and Soucy partnered on the 2nd pairing, I'd actually like that a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

13 games because 2 dmen ahead of him were injured the bulk of his career outside those 13 games his game is a bottom pair dman. 

ok rinse / repeat ,  go back to drinking ,I’ve been on this Ferris wheel with you 2 before ,  seems the hecklers come out at midnight.

Just now, SilentSam said:

ok rinse / repeat ,  go back to drinking ,I’ve been on this Ferris wheel with you 2 before ,  seems the hecklers come out at midnight.

The drunk ones usually are the ones to blow their wad over a small sample size, but I digress. 

anything over 4 is an over payment, anything over 5 is insane. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

He's not 5D he's a 4

Unless we are actually saying Myers is better than him.

the coaching staff did. 

If van signed Z, this is how I would rank our guys

Hughes

Hronek

Soucy 

Zadorov 

Myers 

Juulsen

Friedman 

debatable. 

Besides the one fluky goal through Skinner, I thought his points were well earned this playoffs. 

It's hard to find a combination of tall and heavy (not just tall a la Myers and Soucy) that can also skate really well. 

He then also hits like a truck, trashtalks and backs it up by fighting. 

agreed 

If we do sign him at over 5m, that means we are confident he can evolve into a solid top 4. 

we didn’t. 

It's just too bad Myers can't anchor a 3rd pairing with someone like Juulsen. 

He is a good fit with Soucy but when paired with a Zadorov, Cole, Juulsen, Myers looks like the 6D...

Disagree… although by the end of this contract he will likely be bottom pair. 

If Z and Soucy partnered on the 2nd pairing, I'd actually like that a lot. 

based on the playoff performance… sure. Based on the last 10 years… probably not. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He’s admitting Zadorov is a bottom pair dman cryptically 

I am actually super confused. Theres a marked difference between a top pairing guy and a top four guy. Maybe he’s trying to say that all top pairing guys are in the top four? But it comes across as all top four guys are on the top pair… which is impossible. 

@SilentSam help me understand!!!! 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

The drunk ones usually are the ones to blow their wad over a small sample size, but I digress. 

anything over 4 is an over payment, anything over 5 is insane. 

prepare for the realization of your own inanity then I guess ?

when he signs for over 4 or 5 , I hoped you learned something.

perhaps realize how you assess?

something I don’t think you really do anyway 

If he signs for for under 4 he’s desperate..

and his wife wil leave him 😉 

Just now, SilentSam said:

If he signs for much over 5 it’s because some gm is desperate.

and they can have him for that price…  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

the coaching staff did. 

based on the playoff performance… sure. Based on the last 10 years… probably not. 

The coaching staff did not... Just because we signed Myers at 3 doesn't mean they think he's better than Z. I mean I'm sure we offered Z more than 3 which would also mean they think he's more valuable than Myers right? I mean doesn't contract value show a players worth? 

Also coaching staff show preference with ice time. 

I actually don't know who got more this playoffs. Was it Myers or Z? 

Based on the last few years, Myers also looked like hot garbage but coaching staff turned him around. 

Z has not disappointed since the moment he put on a Canucks jersey starting with the assist on the gwg in his debut vs the Flames.

I think it's unfair to negate his entire body of work in a canucks jersey this season and think he won't be able to repeat that. 

We say D are late bloomers. 

What if he is a late bloomer in terms of hockey iq and positioning while he has all the raw tools before that? What if this coaching staff (Foote Gonchar RT) are the ppl that actually took him to that next level and what we saw this year is the beginning of him playing at this level for the next 6 years? 

If you saw his play this season, was there anything glaring in his play that says he can't be atop 4?

Objectively speaking, I saw him miss his assignment in his zone a few times where a player was left open and allowed to walk in into the centre of the ice. That happened probably 6-8 times in the reg season and twice in the playoffs. 

I can't even remember the specifics because I'm not sure if it even led to a goal but I was yelling "take him!" at the tv. 

It was similar to that Juulsen play that allowed the Forsberg goal against Nashville in the playoffs. 

All that to say, he has been really great in a canucks jersey and it was so good to finally have a player like him on this team. It's gonna suck losing him

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

It's super close...but Myers makes 3 million and zadorov walked at 5 million.

How sad is that?

Just a reminder, Chara was on to his 3rd team (Bruins) by the times he was 26 and didn't start playing good hockey until he turned 27-28

I actually think it's very possible for Z to have a similar trajectory. 

Chara had many of the same criticisms when islander and Ottawa gave up on him

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If anyone thinks that big Z is signing with us then you're delusional, It's over ..Move on ..If there was a hint of a chance there's no way PA would have said anything let alone hold a presser where I felt like he was a bit irritated and just wanted to move probably hoping that it would relax some Nucks fans knowing how much they wanted him here..On to the next episode.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Just a reminder, Chara was on to his 3rd team (Bruins) by the times he was 26 and didn't start playing good hockey until he turned 27-28

You know Chara was a Norris finalist (runner-up even) with Ottawa right? That was in 2003-04 and he didn't join Boston until the 2006-07 season.

(He also finished 7th in Norris voting in 2002-03)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

At age 25 chara was averaging 24:57 a game with 9 goals 39 points and a team leading plus 29.

Zadorov is a great bottom pairing dman, comparing him and his trajectory to chara os silly at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Chara finished 14th in Norris voting as a 24 year old and at 28 he was playing almost 10 more minutes a game than Zadorov did at 28.

Zadorov is not even remotely on the same wavelength.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

All that proves is a sucker is born every second if he can get over 5 go nuts it won’t be here

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

You know Chara was a Norris finalist (runner-up even) with Ottawa right? That was in 2003-04 and he didn't join Boston until the 2006-07 season.

(He also finished 7th in Norris voting in 2002-03)

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

At age 25 chara was averaging 24:57 a game with 9 goals 39 points and a team leading plus 29.

Zadorov is a great bottom pairing dman, comparing him and his trajectory to chara os silly at best.

Oops I missed on that one badly

Oof

Thanks for the correction boys

I just remember them saying he was a late bloomer but one of the key traits was that he was a fitness fanatic. 

Saw the - 21 in his first year at Boston and thought he hadn't put it all together yet

• Cheers 1