[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

12 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Hmm I'd rather pay players that show up in the post season than ones who dont 

I'd rather give Zadorov term and security, and lower the cap hit. I wonder if he would take 5Mx7 years, with some sort of trade. I can see this summer being a summer of losses for Allvin and Rutherford. Hopefully they have backup plans just in case the signings for Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua, etc don't work out. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I think term will be the key to retaining both Zadorov and Lindholm. I think as fans we under estimate the impact moving has on players with young families. Which is why bringing in Zadorov in the early season and Lindholm at the allstar break were shrewd moves. Let the players adjust and let the families get comfortable. Players want security and stability for their families and once they are here are less likely to want to leave... Having a competitive team also helps 

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

I think term will be the key to retaining both Zadorov and Lindholm. I think as fans we under estimate the impact moving has on players with young families. Which is why bringing in Zadorov in the early season and Lindholm at the allstar break were shrewd moves. Let the players adjust and let the families get comfortable. Players want security and stability for their families and once they are here are less likely to want to leave... Having a competitive team also helps 

I think 5 years is long enough to make Zadorov happy. He's the same age as Myers was when we signed him as a UFA and that was a 5 year deal which Myers felt gave him security. Other than his ELC the longest contract Zadorov has ever signed was 2 years so a 5 year deal would give him the most security he's had in his career by quite a bit.

Zadorov has had an incredible playoffs and really elevated his game. However, he's still prone to taking a bad penalty or two and hasn't proven he can continue to play 20+ minutes over a full season. As such, I would start with an offer of $4Mx5. It would be the highest salary and term Zadorov has ever been offered. It's a deal that likely gets countered and I'd be willing to go up to 5x5. Personally I still wouldn't go over $5M for Zadorov though and would love to have him in the 4's.

• Cheers 1

On 5/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, Hammertime said:

Hmm I'd rather pay players that show up in the post season than ones who dont 

Sure, but that doesn't mean you should overpay them

• Upvote 1

Like the player but he went quiet to end round 2. We stopped playing physical and we lost the series. He is a big guy but doesn’t play hard night in night out so unless it’s under 5m walk from Zadorov. We just don’t have the cap room to overpay guys for a couple good games in the playoffs etc or rising cost tails of a Norris D man.

if Seravalli is close to any of his projections with Hronek and Zadorov, both get traded if they want near 8m & 6m respectively.

neither are worth that and the salary cap says hello

• Upvote 1

If we could get zaddy and lindholm for the same cap hit as petey I like it.

only problem is how do we get a winger for petey?

If we sign lindholm do we deploy lindy with petey?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I think 5 years is long enough to make Zadorov happy. He's the same age as Myers was when we signed him as a UFA and that was a 5 year deal which Myers felt gave him security. Other than his ELC the longest contract Zadorov has ever signed was 2 years so a 5 year deal would give him the most security he's had in his career by quite a bit.

Zadorov has had an incredible playoffs and really elevated his game. However, he's still prone to taking a bad penalty or two and hasn't proven he can continue to play 20+ minutes over a full season. As such, I would start with an offer of $4Mx5. It would be the highest salary and term Zadorov has ever been offered. It's a deal that likely gets countered and I'd be willing to go up to 5x5. Personally I still wouldn't go over $5M for Zadorov though and would love to have him in the 4's.

I don’t think it would be because I’d be very happy with 5 years at 5 mill. When you start to think “oh that’s a little too rich for my liking” in both term and dollars that’s what it will take. I’m thinking he’ll get somewhere between 6-7 years at 5.5 to 6 mill a year.

On 5/20/2024 at 2:14 PM, Diamonds said:

Is that so we can afford Hronek, EP and other underperforming passengers?    Just asking for a friend.   He's not going to sign for that little here or anywhere else. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Is that so we can afford Hronek, EP and other underperforming passengers?    Just asking for a friend.   He's not going to sign for that little here or anywhere else. 

EP is already re-signed. We don't have to pay Hronek, but we will still have to pay someone in that spot (maybe we can get some for closer to $5M instead). There's also Joshua who a lot of people want re-signed and will command a large raise. Lindholm will cost money to re-sign and if we choose not to then how about the money needed to bring in another top 6 forward to play with Pettersson?

Money is going to be very tight this summer. We can't start overpaying guys because of a good playoff run or we're going to have some major holes in the lineup.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

How much should we allocate to our bottom pairing D because on our club that’s what Zadorov is? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How much should we allocate to our bottom pairing D because on our club that’s what Zadorov is? 

Way I saw the playoffs is our smaller D battled but got out worked.

We need Zad to pair with either QH or Hronek.

I would love Zad back and Myers at a reduced cost if possible.

But remember this we also have EPD who is last I heard 6'4" and plays hard.

I would love this team to resign

Joshua,Zad,Blueger

If possible Hronek, Lindholm and Myers

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really? He's a bottom pairing d-man? Guy averaged the 3rd most TOI of our d-men, averaged 20 minutes a game. Behind only Huggy and Hronek. 🤔 But, bottom pairing you say?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Zadorov isn't a bottom pairing guy.  He was our 2nd best defenseman in the playoffs and on some nights he was our best.  He was playing with Cole who shit the bed numerous times.  Play Zadorov with a competent top 4 Dman and we'd have a great 2nd pairing...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'd easily pay Zadorov 5x6, $30 million total money.  He is worth every penny.  We gave Myers 6x5, so why can't we give Zadorov 5x6?

He may get offered more though. Nashville traded McDonagh, so they opened up a spot and cap space for Zadorov.  They could easily give him $6 million if they wanted too...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov isn't a bottom pairing guy.  He was our 2nd best defenseman in the playoffs and on some nights he was our best.  He was playing with Cole who shit the bed numerous times.  Play Zadorov with a competent top 4 Dman and we'd have a great 2nd pairing...

I noticed a few times Zadora playing with Hughes, and they looked good. He also looked good with Hronek. I think he's a top 4  on this team.  

Edited by fuzzy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

thats the catch

i think Lindholm is the safer bet to play to whatever contract we give him, Zadorov has historically been a third pair defenseman, and im pretty sure our pro-scouting can find a good third pair defenseman

clearly myers is still good for another year or two, playing in tocchets structure, and soucy was major found money

hughes-hronek

soucy-myers

cole-juulsen

with cole at 2m ties us over for a year until d-petey can hopefully make the jump to our third pair

meanwhile upfront:

Petey-Lindholm-Duclair

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Bains

Could be done if we can move off of Mikheyev somehow. I think that lineup takes us further than the same lineup minus lindholm, but plus zadorov

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

thats the catch

i think Lindholm is the safer bet to play to whatever contract we give him, Zadorov has historically been a third pair defenseman, and im pretty sure our pro-scouting can find a good third pair defenseman

clearly myers is still good for another year or two, playing in tocchets structure, and soucy was major found money

hughes-hronek

soucy-myers

cole-juulsen

with cole at 2m ties us over for a year until d-petey can hopefully make the jump to our third pair

meanwhile upfront:

Petey-Lindholm-Duclair

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Bains

Could be done if we can move off of Mikheyev somehow. I think that lineup takes us further than the same lineup minus lindholm, but plus zadorov

That's fun. I just dont see Hronek being here next year.

I also think Bluegger is going to get overpaid this summer by someone and same with Dak.

Duclair I am not sure about but interesting guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That's fun. I just dont see Hronek being here next year.

I also think Bluegger is going to get overpaid this summer by someone and same with Dak.

Duclair I am not sure about but interesting guy.

im sorta expecting we hear about a hronek injury in the next couple days. if no injury, youre right, hes a goner. 

duclair is fast with great hands, would look great on peteys wing. excellent finisher. he'll score 30 goals on peteys wing. 

if joshua goes, Garland probably moves up to the Miller line. Garland is a better fit there than Suter imo. 

Ack so many questions. we'll have to wait some time for answers!

• Cheers 1

it just also feels like there isnt anyone in our system yet ready to come up and majorly outplay their ELC

maybe in 2 years. Best case i can see is bains or raty coming in and giving us 2-3m/year in value. But we sure don't have a wyatt johnston waiting in the wings.

8 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

im sorta expecting we hear about a hronek injury in the next couple days. if no injury, youre right, hes a goner. 

duclair is fast with great hands, would look great on peteys wing. excellent finisher. he'll score 30 goals on peteys wing. 

if joshua goes, Garland probably moves up to the Miller line. Garland is a better fit there than Suter imo. 

Ack so many questions. we'll have to wait some time for answers!

I think he’s gone either way to be honest. But we will see!

i could see garland skating in the top 6 next year and hoglander being more of a third line guy with Suter but who knows! 

love to resign Dak but I feel like it’s not gonna happen. Some guys online suggesting heinen could be a good Joshua replacement 

• Like 1

Just now, R3aL said:

i could see garland skating in the top 6 next year and hoglander being more of a third line guy with Suter but who knows! 

love to resign Dak but I feel like it’s not gonna happen. Some guys online suggesting heinen could be a good Joshua replacement 

one things for sure, this is the best proscouting team we've had in maybe ever. considering the number of FAs and trade targets they hit the bullseye on, its pretty safe to say they'll be able to find at least 1-2 this offseason

i wouldnt be worried if dak walks. or zadorov. 

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

🤢🤮Heinen has absolutely none of the qualities that make Dak valuable....and the kind of player we need more of (not less).

5 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

🤢🤮Heinen has absolutely none of the qualities that make Dak valuable....and the kind of player we need more of (not less).

I mean I’d love to bring Dak back but if he can make big money on term elsewhere he’s not coming back. 

management gonna be ruthless gonna find value depth on flexible deals to find surplus value and then make a 1-3 bold moves / signings to raise the ceiling of the team 

2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

thats the catch

hughes-hronek

soucy-myers

cole-juulsen

meanwhile upfront:

Petey-Lindholm-Duclair

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Bains

Not to be contradictory... but Zad is the type of D we've been screaming for like forever... he does, what we thought Myers was going to do, when we signed him 6 years ago. 
He is basically Trym+ so to just let him walk into free agency would be nothing short of criminal depending on the price of course. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, R3aL said:

If they sign Lindholm, I'm sure he'll center a line with Petey. 
not gonna pay 7+M for a 3rd line C