[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

On 5/19/2024 at 4:06 PM, canucks curse said:

agree,

I bet he reinsured his shoulder 

he hasn't taken a slap shot since the regular season ...

Cole, hughes, myers, hronek, are all playing banged up probably miller, Brock, Petey, Lindy too 

the Canucks looked banged up 

Hughes doesn't look himself.

650 on Thursday with Dhali said Canucks will aggressively try to move Milkyhev ion the offseason and will use sweetness but not looking to retain.

that sound like they want to re sign lindholm which is a good move.

I just do not think Petey is a winner in the playoffs.

To VAN

Pinto (RFA)

Tkachuk (8.2)

Cap savings of 4.5 until pinto is signed 

To OTT

Hogz

Petey

Milky dump to anyone = - 4.75 

= CAP space of 24.75+ 4.75 +4.5 = 34

Lindy 7

Zads 5

Joshua 3.75

Hronek 6.5

Tanev 4.5

Pinto 2.25

Silovs 1.5

Blugger 1.5 

Cap space  2 million 

Brady Miller Brock

Joshua Lindy Garland

---- Pinto Podz

Aman Blugger PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zads Hronek

Soucy Juulsen

😞 lack scoring wingers just like now...

Interesting, but why would Sens do this?

Also, don't think you'll get Lindy or Hronek for that cap. Maybe not Joshua, Bluger or Zad neither... 

But interesting. 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov isn't a bottom pairing guy.  He was our 2nd best defenseman in the playoffs and on some nights he was our best.  He was playing with Cole who shit the bed numerous times.  Play Zadorov with a competent top 4 Dman and we'd have a great 2nd pairing...

chris-tanev-well-once-in-a-while.gif

• ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

chris-tanev-well-once-in-a-while.gif

I see Tanev staying in Dallas.........that's seems like a great fit and Tanev likely sees it as his best bet to win a Cup before it's all over for him

• Cheers 1

Zadorov is worth $4.75 now and over time $5.35 million with the years of increases coming to the cap.

He will get $6+ on the open market because what he has is a rarity.  Size skating and snarl.

Him and Joshua are exactly what this team need going forward.  MAke it worth him for term over time or cost up front but retain him.

If nothing else to see him make the boo-hoo faces at the Oilers 4 times a season

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Zadorov is worth $4.75 now and over time $5.35 million with the years of increases coming to the cap.

He will get $6+ on the open market because what he has is a rarity.  Size skating and snarl.

Him and Joshua are exactly what this team need going forward.  MAke it worth him for term over time or cost up front but retain him.

If nothing else to see him make the boo-hoo faces at the Oilers 4 times a season

Agreed! Bring Zadorov back and please walk away from Myers. He's fools gold, he played mostly solid, but made a huge unforced error in that game  that cost us a critical goal. Walk away from players that wilt under pressure. Pay Zadorov!

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Agreed! Bring Zadorov back and please walk away from Myers. He's fools gold, he played mostly solid, but made a huge unforced error in that game  that cost us a critical goal. Walk away from players that wilt under pressure. Pay Zadorov!

Myers at 6 million agreed.

Myers at say 2.25 million.  deal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Myers is getting 4m+ easily on the market

Maybe, but he's already made $64M over his career and if he really likes Vancouver and wants to be here $2.25M isn't a crazy number. He's not exactly young or in his playing prime anymore, he's 34 now and probably happy to just settle somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I see Tanev staying in Dallas.........that's seems like a great fit and Tanev likely sees it as his best bet to win a Cup before it's all over for him

Maybe?

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I could see that scenario too.

He could also buy a monster house for a fraction of the cost compared to here...

But you never know!

He might in his heart want to be here and if the difference is 1-1.5M / Year at this point tin his career I am sure it wont be a purely financial decision.

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not sold on giving Joshua what's he's going to ask.......not with OEL's buyout hitting hard now.  I think he's a guy you can replace for cheap and develop that player into another good player.  

Joshua is more a byproduct of Garland than a legit force in his own right and I think it's time to put Garland into the top 6 anyway

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Whorvat said:

Myers is getting 4m+ easily on the market

Yeah, but he wants to stay close to home right? 

4M, we walk away. It's gotta be closer to 3M. 

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Not from a good team 

he wants to win 

his wife is from kelowna 

they have kids 

they live in kelowna on off season 

Which is why I hate to say it, but Canucks have to be ruthless in negotiating with Myers. If he wants to stay as bad as he does, he takes 2 mil. Otherwise you can move your family.

Myers doesn’t use his size like Zads does and is prone to mistakes. I think it just gets worse from here on out with his age unless you reduce his time to 3rd line mins.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but he wants to stay close to home right? 

4M, we walk away. It's gotta be closer to 3M. 

With the cap struggles we are coming up on, I just don't see the value in a 3mil tweener guy who can just as easily cost you games. We need every penny we can get to spend on an impact player. Juulsen can play the 3rd pair. Won't be the player Myers is, but that's nearly 2.5mil we can spend towards a top 6 forward for our anemic 11.6mil dollar center. We have a 4.7mil in dead cap coming after the 24/25 season. Myers isn't signing a 1 year 3mil deal. Let em walk.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

With the cap struggles we are coming up on, I just don't see the value in a 3mil tweener guy who can just as easily cost you games. We need every penny we can get to spend on an impact player. Juulsen can play the 3rd pair. Won't be the player Myers is, but that's nearly 2.5mil we can spend towards a top 6 forward for our anemic 11.6mil dollar center. We have a 4.7mil in dead cap coming after the 24/25 season. Myers isn't signing a 1 year 3mil deal. Let em walk.

Exactly! Zadorov is a #5 D on a good club. There is no chance we pay him crazy money. Another club will though, and they will very quickly regret it. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! Zadorov is a #5 D on a good club. There is no chance we pay him crazy money. Another club will though, and they will very quickly regret it. 

Your drunk again

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

This. Far rather put that money towards a top 6 winger or 2nd pair RD

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yes, but you also roll the dice on a player like Juulsen. You get what you pay for in so many cases, and I think it's true for players. There are quality players, and you have to pay for them, and then there are players that are like Juulsen, depth pieces, they are not meant to be every day players. I'm not sure that Juulsen is an every day player. So the team right now has multiple issues right. We need more scoring, and we need to upgrade our defense as well. How are we going to do that in one off-season? 

Hmmm. Is it crazy to think that I would prefer meyers at 3m to Zadorov at 6m? If Zadorov wants 6m (which I’m sure someone would offer), I would much rather pay 7 or 7.5 for lindholm instead 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Which is why I hate to say it, but Canucks have to be ruthless in negotiating with Myers. If he wants to stay as bad as he does, he takes 2 mil. Otherwise you can move your family.

Myers doesn’t use his size like Zads does and is prone to mistakes. I think it just gets worse from here on out with his age unless you reduce his time to 3rd line mins.

I don't think that would go over well in the dressing room.  For all the hatred heaped on him by all the armchair warriors, Myers is very very popular with his teammates........ screwing him over might not be wise. 

An offer that works for both player and team, yes........giving an ultimatum at half his value?  Not so much

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes, but you also roll the dice on a player like Juulsen. You get what you pay for in so many cases, and I think it's true for players. There are quality players, and you have to pay for them, and then there are players that are like Juulsen, depth pieces, they are not meant to be every day players. I'm not sure that Juulsen is an every day player. So the team right now has multiple issues right. We need more scoring, and we need to upgrade our defense as well. How are we going to do that in one off-season? 

I think it's more important to get Petey going than having a guy we hope doesn't cost us a game. Again, I never said Juulsen would be Myers, but he can fill the role well enough while costing far less. We need a true top 6. This team can't ride the coat tails of Boeser and Miller every year. But I suppose it depends on Hronek's status. If we move on from him, I still probably don't bring back Myers. I target Pesce and DeMelo in free agency. Pesce, someone like Lyubushkin and Juulsen.

We also forget that for the vast majority of the year Myers is a dice roll himself. We don't call him the chaos giraffe cause he's the model of consistency. His value comes in his size. But that also is a downside when he's 34 years old. He's a shell of who he was.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Myers will still be here I think.....for $3M/yr likely.

Lindholm will really come down to whether or not he actually wants to stay in Vancouver.  If so, I have to think that they'll make it work and sign him for a 5-6 year deal.

Hearing Elliott Friedman mention to expect the unexpected out of Vancouver this summer, you have to wonder if we'll be blindsided by something like an EP trade.  Most here would think this is pure stupidity, but I'm of the mind that it is more likely to happen than not IF Joshua, Lindholm and Zadorov want to stay.  It would really suck, but it would solve the cap issue through the next 3 difficult cap years. If those guys walk, of course we keep EP.

Trading Brock may happen too if Brock would prefer to play for a team with less air travel (given his DVT)......would hate to lose him with how he played with JT, but I wouldn't blame him for medical reasons.

Will be interesting.  

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think that would go over well in the dressing room.  For all the hatred heaped on him by all the armchair warriors, Myers is very very popular with his teammates........ screwing him over might not be wise. 

An offer that works for both player and team, yes........giving an ultimatum at half his value?  Not so much

You don’t offer as an ultimatum, you just politely let him know you are unwilling to offer him more then 2 mil. You would prefer to keep him, but that is where you feel his value lies and you can’t in good faith go higher. Considering he basically stole a couple mil in value on his last contract, he should at least understand where we are coming from.