[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I think it's more important to get Petey going than having a guy we hope doesn't cost us a game. Again, I never said Juulsen would be Myers, but he can fill the role well enough while costing far less. We need a true top 6. This team can't ride the coat tails of Boeser and Miller every year. But I suppose it depends on Hronek's status. If we move on from him, I still probably don't bring back Myers. I target Pesce and DeMelo in free agency. Pesce, someone like Lyubushkin and Juulsen.

We also forget that for the vast majority of the year Myers is a dice roll himself. We don't call him the chaos giraffe cause he's the model of consistency. His value comes in his size. But that also is a downside when he's 34 years old. He's a shell of who he was.

There are a lot of older defenseman like Dillon DeMelo, Pesce is younger than those two, but he'll be entering his thirties soon enough. 

I wouldn't mind Pesce, but he's also 4-5 years older than Hronek. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Hronek and having his better years ahead than Pesce, who may be on the verge of decline. 

I mean, if you can score but you can't defend, that's not good either. Defensively, you have coming back on the backend: 

- Hughes (LHD) 

- Hronek (assuming he's not traded) (LHD)

- Soucy (LHD)

So, the backend has some work, as you can see. 

The top six likewise have some work to do as well: 

______ - Miller - Boeser 

______- Pettersson - Höglander 

Joshua - Suter/Blueger - Garland 

I mean, Suter is usually there with Miller, but some might not consider him a true top-six option. I tend to agree with that. Replace TWO top-six players is going to be tough. To find one is going to be hard; finding two? Ugh, feels impossible to do in one summer. 

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Canucks are bringing Zadorov back. Tocchet loves him, as do his teammates. The fanbase loves everything he brings to the team. 

Out of all the free agents, Zadorov is the most important to re-sign. He provides a lot of what the team needs in defense and fits Tocchet’s blueprint to a T. 

There aren’t many players of his size (weight and height) that skate as well as he does, have an offensive touch, and genuinely enjoy the bone crushing aspect of defense, while being positionally sound. 

A player like Zadorov is a core piece for the defense. Clearly the Canucks want size to be one of the defining factors of the backend. Outside of Jamie Olesiak, no player is larger than Nikita. 

He was one of the key players that helped push the team to the second round, providing timely and beautiful goals, thunderous checks, and free counselling for Evander Kane, who sure the fuck needs it. 

The fact that so many teams would line up to make him offer in free agency truly highlights his value. Why wouldn’t a contender with the window wide open not seek to augment their core with a behemoth they know and love. 

Yeah, sure, love the player, but how well will that contract age in time? 

And what do you do with other pending free agents like Lindholm? And then still adding to the top six? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, sure, love the player, but how well will that contract age in time?

How long is the window open for? The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war. Zadorov is a warrior. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

And what do you do with other pending free agents like Lindholm? And then still adding to the top six? 

If Lindholm turned down the supposed $8M offer, I guess you let him walk and eat the trade. I think Zadorov would make a concession or two to stay here. He has a Jack Adams winning coach, a contending team with a defense led by a Norris candidate, and a city that loves what he brings to the team. You can add Zadorov and still bring in a top six winger.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How long is the window open for? The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war. Zadorov is a warrior. 

If Lindholm turned down the supposed $8M offer, I guess you let him walk and eat the trade. I think Zadorov would make a concession or two to stay here. He has a Jack Adams winning coach, a contending team with a defense led by a Norris candidate, and a city that loves what he brings to the team. You can add Zadorov and still bring in a top six winger.

Look, at the end of the day, I don't want the Canucks to be making poor contractual decisions like Benning did. That'll just set the team back, and then we're stuck with contracts we would need to unload, by adding more picks and prospects to them. No to all of that. 

IF Zadorov wants to be here, and he takes a slight cut and a few concessions, then sure, let's go for it and sign him long term. 6M to me feels like too much, but if Tocchet wants him back, then I trust that coach. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Not from a good team 

he wants to win 

his wife is from kelowna 

they have kids 

they live in kelowna on off season 

Oh I know he's in Kelowna lol, I see him at the Save On Foods in the summer

I think he will sign for less here, but not significantly less. Giving him the Soucy $ amount is fair. 3x3.25

Edited by Whorvat

Zad was a beast since coming here 

he exceeded expectations in the post season 

he’s what this teams needed for years 

doesn’t take shit from the media 

and he talks shit about both Alberta teams and their media 

that  reason alone is enough to resign him. 
he wants to be here 

get him resigned asap

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Combover said:

Zad was a beast since coming here 

he exceeded expectations in the post season 

he’s what this teams needed for years 

doesn’t take shit from the media 

and he talks shit about both Alberta teams and their media 

that  reason alone is enough to resign him. 
he wants to be here 

get him resigned asap

Agree......and his closing press-conference was a beaut as usual.  Loved his response to the contract question.  Sounds like he wants to be here and doesn't expect to be priced out of the market, saying not to listen to the rumours out there.

Not sure if this has been added, analytics suggest that Zadarov fair contract is 5.2 x 5.   I say sign the man.

Lindholm, 6.7 x 5.   That's palatable. 

Hronek 7.4 x 8 OR a 3 year bridge at 6.1.

All of these are doable.   

• ThereItIs 1

Zadorov is a god example of why we should all relax and be patient this offseason.  Last year people were desperate to sign Lucic (haha) because how would our “little smurfs” ever survive now that Schenn is gone?

Lesson 1 is that this management can address holes in the lineup and won’t necessarily do it in a way that we predict.

Lesson 2 is that they do not finish building the team on July 1.  Moves are made throughout the year so chill out if you’re not completely satisfied on the first day of free agency.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be surprised if Hronek is traded and Myers is allowed to walk. One thing we've learned under Tocchett is the importance of structure. I have faith in  Mgmt to identify players that will thrive in our system. Look at Myers this year and OEL in Florida. Structure is the key.  

Edited by fuzzy
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 11:58 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I lived in Calgary... I would also turn down 8mil to stay there

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hronek is traded and Myers is allowed to walk. One thing we've learned under Tocchett is the importance of structure. I have faith in  Mgmt to identify players that will thrive in our system. Look at Myers this year and OEL in Florida. Structure is the key.  

I too think that one or 2 moves might be made durring these playoffs , if not, before the draft..

This management group won’t put up with much “grandstanding” with players who want much more than management’s assessment’s of their value.

This could be where Hroneck gets moved, even right  after a qualifying offer.

The assets back could be solid ..

Myers on a short term 2-3 years, 2-3m, moveable in year 2 and 3 would be solid.

Zadorov has Ironman qualities, and those big men age well ,  Z , will be strong into age 35 ..  give him good term 5-6 years, tradable in his last 2 years (or extending ).

i think 5 -5.5 locks him .

I would not be surprised to see Dman Pettersson make the squad next season,.

he might be the perfect go to from Abby for  home games to give our ranks rest days..

and perhaps part of a great learning curve for him.

on a side note :  

Manny Malhotra  is now Abby’s new Coach ..   damn ,  the moves we don’t see coming as fans ,  shows this group is all over our franchise ..  elite move!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seriously? Cowpieville is a crap hole. It’s an ugly loser city with scummy people. 

Yeah. Doesn’t look like it when I’m there. Vancouver looks like it has a lot of crap on the streets most days. Especially downtown. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. Doesn’t look like it when I’m there. Vancouver looks like it has a lot of crap on the streets most days. Especially downtown. 

I highly doubt that he has ever been to Calgary.

• Haha 1