[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Zadorov wants term right? 4.75 over 6/7 years is more than fair. 5M, maybe 5.5 over 6 years? 

yup exactly

he loves west van, priority is probably making sure his kids get some good continuity in their education and opportunity to make friendships

he shouldnt take a "discount", he deserves to get paid. term feels like the best way to do that. 

up to 5m a year feels very fair for what he is to us. obviously if he can get in a bit under that itll make it a lot easier to get other business done

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, testycal said:

He is 29..a family guy with kids..probably likes the chic Vancouver lifestyle and wants to settle down for a while...kids make a difference especially when in grade school....with money in pocket and ability to afford the good life Vancouver is not a bad place to be.  And he likes his teammates. 

Hoping for news that a deal will be done very soon. Lots of work for Allvin to do before July 1st. I think Zadorov will eventually sign. Lindholm I think leaves. Blueger signs for cheap. Lafferty gone unless back for cheap. 

44 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

How do guys like him age? Big guys don't get the same kind of build up of injuries like little guys do. It seems like small skilled and fast forwards have shorter primes, opposed to the heavier guys that can transform into slower heavy games as foot speed declines. I see him being fit enough to play his game for a while but he is also a good skating player for his size which I feel like will leave him quickly. 

I'm mostly going off of what I would think makes sense, does anyone have any evidence to suggest players like him may age quicker or slower?

I think Zad is a top priority in figuring out his wants. He will likely price himself out which the Canucks want to find out right away so they can move on to the other priorities: Lindholm and Joshua where they likely already know the range they are in.

Chara played until he was 45 years old.  And he was never a good skater.  Z is a fabulous skater, so that should prolong his career.  He could play until he was 40.  If it keeps the AAV down to $4.5 million I would easily sign him to a 6/7 year deal...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They shouldn't have to wait for Hronek.  He's an RFA, so we retain his rights.  Get the priority UFAs done.

Exactly! Hronek and Canucks will do the dance well into off season, then he will accept a 7-8 year deal. Too much risk to play on a QO if the team is making a fair offer with the long term security. BUT, without FA for him this year, the Canucks are his the only dance partner, so he'll milk it for every last minute/penny.

One note on Zadorov; he is a perfect system fit for RT and what he wants out of his Dmen. In addition, he offers that intimidator X-Factor.  Having said this, he is a fit here, and might not be elsewhere (like he was in Cgy). He is cognizant of this, and even joked in his presser that his value was not as people seem to suggest. 

My guess: 4.5m-4.75m x 6 years. We get a discount, he gets a couple more years term.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chara played until he was 45 years old.  And he was never a good skater.  Z is a fabulous skater, so that should prolong his career.  He could play until he was 40.  If it keeps the AAV down to $4.5 million I would easily sign him to a 6/7 year deal...

I remember watching Chara in the early 2000s in the WHL in PG; guy was horrendous. He was unable to skate backwards, so got beat all the time to the outside trying to contend with a fwd skating in with speed. Then there was his fights.....if that's what you call a guy holding the other guy out at arms length for 30 seconds until he was tired! Fast fwd 8 years, and he was an absolute force with Boston.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I remember watching Chara in the early 2000s in the WHL in PG; guy was horrendous. He was unable to skate backwards, so got beat all the time to the outside trying to contend with a fwd skating in with speed. Then there was his fights.....if that's what you call a guy holding the other guy out at arms length for 30 seconds until he was tired! Fast fwd 8 years, and he was an absolute force with Boston.

the age of the ginormous defenseman is back

nhl pendulum swung towards small elite shifty players for a while (because they were cheap and could be drafted way lower), the easiest way to shut them down is with a couple of oak trees who can skate on the back end. vegas proved the formula.

size that can skate is still underpriced in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The thing is though that Chara was really good having never been a good skater, so his game never relied on it so it wasn't there to lose and change his game. Big Z is a great skater, and that will surely decline with age quicker than other factors, which if you take that out of his game, it will make him a worse player as he will have to change his whole game. So he unless he can adapt to losing one of his best attributes, he surely won't age as well as Chara.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Exactly! Hronek and Canucks will do the dance well into off season, then he will accept a 7-8 year deal. Too much risk to play on a QO if the team is making a fair offer with the long term security. BUT, without FA for him this year, the Canucks are his the only dance partner, so he'll milk it for every last minute/penny.

One note on Zadorov; he is a perfect system fit for RT and what he wants out of his Dmen. In addition, he offers that intimidator X-Factor.  Having said this, he is a fit here, and might not be elsewhere (like he was in Cgy). He is cognizant of this, and even joked in his presser that his value was not as people seem to suggest. 

My guess: 4.5m-4.75m x 6 years. We get a discount, he gets a couple more years term.

I think the pressure with Hronek is on us, not him. If he goes to arbitration (July 5th) then he’s a UFA the following year. We need to trade him this week. Priority is Zads and not Hronek and big Z wants to stay (he’s also less grumpy with the media, lol).

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Brenden Dillon as a plan B if management doesn't want to give Zads 5mil. But I am partial to just giving him 5. If that's not enough. Bye Felicia. Would satisfy the fanbase's desire to add some Canadians, even a local.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 3

52 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Brenden Dillon as a plan B if management doesn't want to give Zads 5mil. But I am partial to just giving him 5. If that's not enough. By Felicia. Would satisfy the fanbase's desire to add some Canadians, even a local.

Looking through the UFA list

it feels like a bumper crop of defensemen this time around

this really might be the year to swap hronek out for someone like necas

and rebuild the blue line in UFA

so many good choices there

- Roy or Demelo as a hughes partner

- dillon 

- walker

- pesce

- hakanpa

- tanev

- carrier

i mean damn thats a lot

Hughes-Roy

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Dillon 

would be a hell of a blue line, would have to be top-5 in the league

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

- dillon 

- walker

- pesce

- hakanpa

- tanev

- carrier

i mean damn thats a lot

Hughes-Roy

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Dillon 

Totally agree 

Necas sign long term becomes core piece 

we have D Petey and Willy on the way as young D core pieces 

if ever there was a year where a good UFA RD wasn’t gonna break the bank… it’s this year 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Brenden Dillon as a plan B if management doesn't want to give Zads 5mil. But I am partial to just giving him 5. If that's not enough. Bye Felicia. Would satisfy the fanbase's desire to add some Canadians, even a local.

3 year's 2.75?

2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

- dillon 

- walker

- pesce

- hakanpa

- tanev

- carrier

i mean damn thats a lot

Hughes-Roy

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Dillon 

Hughes - Roy

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Hakanpaa

Then we would have three left and right handed defencemen. Other than that I agree with your defensive core, should be the team’s direction.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Hughes - Roy

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Hakanpaa

Then we would have three left and right handed defencemen. Other than that I agree with your defensive core, should be the team’s direction.

That bottom pair would be a nightmare to play against.