[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Hughes - Roy

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Hakanpaa

Then we would have three left and right handed defencemen. Other than that I agree with your defensive core, should be the team’s direction.

I like it, but might need to sub Dillon for Zadorov.. and Hakanpaa could be a luxury based on cap.  

But if they put this group, or something like it, together we’re laughing. 

• Cheers 1

This offseason is boom or bust for the management.. they either have a thunderous boom getting big z signed and a top 4 or hronek signed and maybe Myers on a friendly deal.. or it’s possible zadorov walks. Myer walks.. hronek on a 1 year arbitration award at over 7.5mil we miss out on other defenceman because they don’t know how much cap space they can allocate with hronek abitration.. and we walk into next season with hughes hronek soucy juulsen and a bunch of question marks. Will be interesting right up to July 1st. Ppl assuming we’ll sign this guy sign that guy in free agency.. there’s like 31 other teams that will be interested in signing those guys too. 

5 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think I heard on 650 that he turned down 4.5x5 years. Anyone else hear that? I was driving and distracted.

Apparently the canucks offer that was rejected was from before the playoffs began. As of right now the canucks aren't talking with milstein.

Screenshot_20240527_203825_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Apparently the canucks offer that was rejected was from before the playoffs began. As of right now the canucks aren't talking with milstein.

Screenshot_20240527_203825_Chrome.jpg

More clickbait from Dhaliwal. 

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

If Z walks, give Desharnais a good offer

dude is playing big minutes for Edmonton, played > 20 min in game 6 and 7 against us

I thought he looked really good against us, he is a late bloomer, this is his first full season, with his size and mobility he has RT mold player written all over him 

probs come cheapish too.

Dillon (2.75 x 3), Myers (2.75 x 3), Desharnais (1.5 x 3), Tanev (4.25 x3) all for 11.25 million leaving leaving 12.25 million for the forwards, dump Milky with Podz as a sweetener and that's another 5.75 million off the books cap space = 18.00

Joshua 3.5, Bluegger 1.25 x term 4 yrs

leaves 12 million for top 6 Fs

Silovs 1.25

Hronek for Necas

Necas 7 x 4

Chandler 5 x 5 

Chandler Petey Necas

Hogz Miller Brock

Joshua Bluegger Garland 

Suter Aman PDG 

Hughes Tanev 

Soucy Myers

Dillon Desharnais

D Petey Juulsen

That is a big, mean D corps and a much bigger, better top 6 

Edited by canucks curse

On 5/21/2024 at 8:44 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

Really? He's a bottom pairing d-man? Guy averaged the 3rd most TOI of our d-men, averaged 20 minutes a game. Behind only Huggy and Hronek. 🤔 But, bottom pairing you say?

Didn't you rail hard against Zadorov? Or am I miss remembering?

57 minutes ago, 5 min Major said:

Zadorov is what this franchise has been trying to find for far too painfully long….

we’ve spent more on failed projects… think “gudbranson trade” 

this playoff tested specimen is worth slight overpayment at his age, and how deliciously huge and mobile he is

5.0 per

hell even 5.5 per

good luck trying to replace Zadorov

IMO he’s an apex predator Dman

let him go??? ….. DUMB

Agreed!! Letting him go would be a huge mistake!! 

Zadorov 4.25x 6

hronek 7.5x 8

myets 2.25x 3

Stephensin 5x5

lindy 6.5 x 8

joshia 3x6

silovs 1.00

14+ 15.5

milky + podz dump - 5.75+ 23.78

= 29.5 cap space 

Petey Lindy Chandler

hogz Miller Brock 

joshia Suter Garland 

PDG Aman Bains 

Hughes Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Didn't you rail hard against Zadorov? Or am I miss remembering?

No? But my memory is trash and my self doubt is high. So I can be gas lit into believing I hated on Zadorov at some point. Lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Zadorov 4.25x 6

hronek 7.5x 8

myets 2.25x 3

Stephensin 5x5

lindy 6.5 x 8

joshia 3x6

silovs 1.00

14+ 15.5

= 29.5 cap space 

Petey Lindy Chandler

hogz Miller Brock 

joshia Suter Garland 

PDG Aman Bains 

Hughes Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen 

I don’t think 4.25 x 6 gets it done for Zadorov unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t think 4.25 x 6 gets it done for Zadorov unfortunately. 

You're being kind. Not a chance he's going that low, even with longer term. He already turned down 4.5k from the Canucks, and I rather doubt that 1 or 2 extra years at a lowball rate is going to get it done...

Edited by syntheticity

3 hours ago, 5 min Major said:

Zadorov is what this franchise has been trying to find for far too painfully long….

we’ve spent more on failed projects… think “gudbranson trade” 

this playoff tested specimen is worth slight overpayment at his age, and how deliciously huge and mobile he is

5.0 per

hell even 5.5 per

good luck trying to replace Zadorov

IMO he’s an apex predator Dman

let him go??? ….. DUMB

IMHO, Rutherford, Allvin & Tocchet all understand this very well too.

29 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

You're being kind. Not a chance he's not going to take a pay cut on his next contract. He already turned down 4.5k from the Canucks...

Probably starts at 5M. Rumours were before that he thinks he can get 6M on the open market once July 1st hits, and I wouldn't disagree - some GM is going to give him 6M over 7-8 years. Canucks can't compete with that. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

IMHO, Rutherford, Allvin & Tocchet all understand this very well too.

Zadorov wants term right? 5.5M for what? 8 years? I think that's way too long for a guy even like Zadorov. If he wants 5.5M, then I say give him 4-5 years. If he wants more term, then, he'll have to take 4.75-5M if he wants to remain in Vancouver. If not, then I guess it's goodbye Zadorov. 

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Zadorov 4.25x 6

hronek 7.5x 8

myets 2.25x 3

Stephensin 5x5

lindy 6.5 x 8

joshia 3x6

silovs 1.00

14+ 15.5

= 29.5 cap space 

Petey Lindy Chandler

hogz Miller Brock 

joshia Suter Garland 

PDG Aman Bains 

Hughes Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen 

Z reportedly already said no to 4.5x5, Joshua unlikely signing for 3, Myers unlikely foe 2.25, and Lindy never for 6.5

After a playoffs like that, he could explode next year and be one of those breakout guys, hit say 40-50 points, 20 minutes and solid physically...or he could dip back to his Calgary playing days when he was 50% great, 50% a defensive liability at times.

I could see him get better and better and not dip after a pay rise to be honest. I'd give him up to 5.5M per. 6M is a bit much and we have to avoid those 6x6 deals.

Big Z apparently wanted 5 x 5 from Calgary at the time of trade. I think he will Re-sign here around 4.85 x 6yrs. Which I think is a fair deal for all. I'm on the fence with Hronek, anything more than 7.2 I'd see what type of return can be had.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

No? But my memory is trash and my self doubt is high. So I can be gas lit into believing I hated on Zadorov at some point. Lol.

No Sorry I think i consufed you with another poster. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

Big Z apparently wanted 5 x 5 from Calgary at the time of trade. I think he will Re-sign here around 4.85 x 6yrs. Which I think is a fair deal for all. I'm on the fence with Hronek, anything more than 7.2 I'd see what type of return can be had.

Give the man 5 I think he will be closer to 6 than 5 and I'm fine with that. 

Edited by Hammertime

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Probably starts at 5M. Rumours were before that he thinks he can get 6M on the open market once July 1st hits, and I wouldn't disagree - some GM is going to give him 6M over 7-8 years. Canucks can't compete with that. 

I don't know about that.  That type of money is venturing into #2 dman dollars.  Not many guys making that type of dough.

60 dmen earn a cap hit of 5 Million or above.  Roughly speaking those should be guys playing 25 minutes a night and playing all situations.  There's a good number of guys on that list most fans would consider overpaid.

8 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

60 dmen earn a cap hit of 5 Million or above.  Roughly speaking those should be guys playing 25 minutes a night and playing all situations.  There's a good number of guys on that list most fans would consider overpaid.

And Z is a guy who plays 16-18 per game.