[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, syntheticity said:

4.5 x 6 seems well below what he could likely get in free agency. I have difficulty imagining a plausible scenario where his side doesn't start at 5m+, assuming longer term, with the price tag going up for a shorter term contract.

Remember Vancouver fans were fuming at Myers at $6 million per. Well he has produced more offense, been a higher plus player and played more ATOI throughout his career versus Zadorov.

Vancouver all wants Myers gone or back for the $ 3-4m range per, you can't in the same breath now want to repeat a mistake and add a 4/5 guy in the $5m + range long term. Zadorov isn't that guy. BUT since everyone is in love with him right now, let's say he can get an offer of 6 years ? at $ 5 miilion per ?? that is absolute top end of what the team should be doing and likely means the team has to utilize a Brisebois, Juulsen or Friedman type again throughout the year where maybe Cole was positioned. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Remember Vancouver fans were fuming at Myers at $6 million per. Well he has produced more offense, been a higher plus player and played more ATOI throughout his career versus Zadorov.

Vancouver all wants Myers gone or back for the $ 3-4m range per, you can't in the same breath now want to repeat a mistake and add a 4/5 guy in the $5m + range long term. Zadorov isn't that guy. BUT since everyone is in love with him right now, let's say he can get an offer of 6 years ? at $ 5 miilion per ?? that is absolute top end of what the team should be doing and likely means the team has to utilize a Brisebois, Juulsen or Friedman type again throughout the year where maybe Cole was positioned. 

Zadorov has always been more consistent than Myers. Until this year Myers was pure chaos. He was never worth his contract. The contract itself would not have been an issue if there hadn't been a pandemic crushing nhl revenue. This won't be an issue moving forward. The cap will rise significantly in the coming years. I think Zadorov is a good investment even at 6mil x 6

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

When you say "you" in the bolded part, are you referring to me specifically, or fans in this thread or forum more generally?

I'm not advocating that we overspend on Zadarov. If you look at my post in context, you can see that I'm responding to a proposal in this thread suggesting we can resign him for 4.25m. I think that number would be viewed as a non-starter from Z's side. But I haven't said anything here about what we should be willing to spend to keep him. 

p.s. We might nonetheless disagree on some points. I think Z brings some elements that Myers doesn't, and 5-6m in 2019 isn't the same as 5-6m in 2024, but I agree that management needs to be careful on how much they're willing to spend on Z, given our cap situation and other roster needs.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, VanOriginal said:

5 is fine, 6 or closer to 6 is too much. Too much in the sense that there'd be less money to sign a player that fits the teams need. Less money to sign other players means more trades would be needed to get players a reasonable cap which means less picks and assets for continued growth and success. Something the past regime did with nicks and assets and cap and look where this team is at now. 

I don't think so. I think he could be a cornerstone piece. Our Seabrook. 

It's not unrealistic to see him put up 30-40 points given a bit more opportunity he's shown that he's got some un tapped offensive abilities. Zad is a unicorn there are very few like him in the league he's the guy we hoped Tram and Myers would be. 

Seems like a late bloomer I could see his star continue to rise as he establishes himself as a force in the league as a member of our core.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I don't think so. I think he could be a cornerstone piece. Our Seabrook. 

It's not unrealistic to see him put up 30-40 points given a bit more opportunity he's shown that he's got some un tapped offensive abilities. Zad is a unicorn there are very few like him in the league he's the guy we hoped Tram and Myers would be. 

Seems like a late bloomer I could see his star continue to rise as he establishes himself as a force in the league as a member of our core.   

I think that is a completely unrealistic look at Zad.  He's 29, he's not suddenly going to become a different player

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think that is a completely unrealistic look at Zad.  He's 29, he's not suddenly going to become a different player

No, but there's no reason to think his fundamental skills will fall apart soon either. 

I think/hope something like 4.5 x 7 is possible but who knows.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

He doesn't need to. Just keep playing the way he play'd for us this year and continue to grow his role with the club. 

You probably hated the miller trade too. Miller didn't become a different player he stepped up and siezed opportunity that wasn't previously afforded. 

Zadorov soundly out play'd Hronek this year as far as I'm concerned and won't cost 8m and doesn't need huggy to carry his mail. 

• ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

He doesn't need to. Just keep playing the way he play'd for us this year and continue to grow his role with the club. 

You probably hated the miller trade too. Miller didn't become a different player he stepped up and siezed opportunity that wasn't previously afforded. 

Zadorov soundly out play'd Hronek this year as far as I'm concerned and won't cost 8m and doesn't need huggy to carry his mail. 

Zadorov is a 5/6 D man who, for short stints, play up the lineup. Paying him top four money because of a 13 game stint is asking for trouble. In no world is he better than Hronek. 
IMHAO Zadorov will see how much he can get on July 1 and it will be a lot more than Allvin (Great GM) knows any club that wants to win will pay. 
Big Z is the kind of player who gets paid a big number by a bottom feeder. He will play top four minutes and get caved in. It’s why those clubs are bottom feeders. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I was one of the very few who loved the Miller trade at the time.....a trade most on CDC hated.

I love Zads game and he had a great post season, but he's not suddenly going to become a different player at 29.  He's a middle of the lineup dman who can can have very good stretches of games at times, but can also have some bad stretches too.  He plays a great physical game, but he's not going to be a big point producer.

Right now, his agent is trying to cash in on a good run of 13 games, but PA has to look at his whole body of work, not just that snapshot 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I was one of the very few who loved the Miller trade at the time.....a trade most on CDC hated.

People liked Miller, were upset thinking Benning overpaid adding the 1st. It took a long time for some to get over that.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I love Zads game and he had a great post season, but he's not suddenly going to become a different player at 29.  He's a middle of the lineup dman who can can have very good stretches of games at times, but can also have some bad stretches too.  He plays a great physical game, but he's not going to be a big point producer.

Right now, his agent is trying to cash in on a good run of 13 games, but PA has to look at his whole body of work, not just that snapshot 

Is Nashville eg really going to throw 40 mil at him? 

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

No, but there's no reason to think his fundamental skills will fall apart soon either. 

I think/hope something like 4.5 x 7 is possible but who knows.

Of course, but people are looking at him and setting expectations for him based on 13 games, and that's not wise.

I think that aav is good, I just don't like the term. ........I feel like he's a guy who's play is going to drop significantly as he ages

Just now, stawns said:

Of course, but people are looking at him and setting expectations for him based on 13 games, and that's not wise.

I think that aav is good, I just don't like the term. ........I feel like he's a guy who's play is going to drop significantly as he ages

It might but we'd have him for the Hughes window.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

People liked Miller, were upset thinking Benning overpaid adding the 1st. It took a long time for some to get over that.

Is Nashville eg really going to throw 40 mil at him? 

I think Toronto will push hard for him if they move Marner

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

I don’t really feel we are collectively judging him on 13 games but people are still screaming to kick Pettey out of town for 13 games. 
He isn’t a top pairing guy. But he brings a lot of value outside of points. Big, rangy,tough, moves well, plays up the lineup when needed with a big personality and loves taking shots at Alberta plus he seems to still be improving.  
‘That is worth something and was of great value to this team but PA isn’t going to overpay, so far he has been fairly shrewd so he won’t Jay Beagle us with extra dollars and extra term. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I don’t really feel we are collectively judging him on 13 games but people are still screaming to kick Pettey out of town for 13 games. 
He isn’t a top pairing guy. But he brings a lot of value outside of points. Big, rangy,tough, moves well, plays up the lineup when needed with a big personality and loves taking shots at Alberta plus he seems to still be improving.  
‘That is worth something and was of great value to this team but PA isn’t going to overpay, so far he has been fairly shrewd so he won’t Jay Beagle us with extra dollars and extra term. 

He does bring a lot outside of points, but points is what gets you money on a new deal.  

• Like 1

If the price climbs to $6M, I think we will lose big Z.  I'd imagine $500k more could land us Pesce.  $500k less could probably land us Matt Roy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

July 1st on the open market, Zadorov gets really close to 6 million if he's still available. 

He would likely take less to stay here if we throw enough term at him.

And I think the team that gives him that regrets it in short order 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And I think the team that gives him that regrets it in short order 

not if they win the cup. Z is just one piece of that, but you can't deny how important the physical side is in the playoffs. 

6 x 6 or 7 years is really a big risk tho, thats true. If you don't win it all soon, that may not age well. 

• Vintage 1

I think Zadorov will re-sign here. A deal will get done that works for both sides. I think Zadorov sees the opportunity he has here to be a part of a contending team, where defense is a major focus. A team that has an excellent coaching staff led by a Jack Adams winner who envisions the game in a way that meshes with how Zadorov does. 

There are very few players in the league who can bring the combination of what he does, and Alvin knows that. Zadorov had one of his best seasons ever in Vancouver, and as a committed, long-term Canuck, he'll be a vital piece to help protect the core players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not if they win the cup. Z is just one piece of that, but you can't deny how important the physical side is in the playoffs. 

6 x 6 or 7 years is really a big risk tho, thats true. If you don't win it all soon, that may not age well. 

If he wants that kind of money, he's not going to get it from any serious cup contender, imo.  

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think people are way too hung up on the term.  I think our window is the next 4 yrs. Sign him for 8 yrs to lower the cap. I think its a good bet that League revenue is going to explode and the cap is going to go up exponentially. In 8yrs 5 or 6 mil will be the equivalent of 1 mil today. Besides, if our window is the next 4 yrs and we don't get it done then we'll be tearing it down anyway and it won't matter.

If he's a player that you think can get you there then he have to go for it And take the risk

Edited by fuzzy
  • Vintage 1