[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 minutes ago, Combover said:

As per the province 

Hronek is a restricted free agent, so the Canucks control most of the story. They can make a qualifying offer to retain his rights, but he does have arbitration rights and it's expected he would win a one- or two-year contract worth at least $7 million per season if he did.

so maybe arbitration might be the way to go. 

Hronek won’t be getting the 8 mill sone seem to think 

Hopefully get Zad for around at 5x5 or 5x6 

lindholm might be an impossibility fingers crossed PA can work some magic and het him back 

Arbitration is the worst case scenario, imo, as he can then walk to free agency and they lose him for nothing

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Arbitration is the worst case scenario, imo, as he can then walk to free agency and they lose him for nothing

It is

But it’s also a tool.

QUALIFYING OFFER:$5,280,000 ( cap friendly) 

if I understand it right he can’t walk away but Vancouver can if it came in a 8 mill they might 

so let’s say hes  awarded 7 mill it’s less than most feel he wants and decent value

yeah he’s a ufa next summer so he’s sold at the deadline if a extension can’t be reached he isn’t getting trade protection from  arbitration 

1 minute ago, Combover said:

It is

But it’s also a tool.

if I understand it right he can’t walk away but Vancouver can if it came in a 8 mill they might 

so let’s say hes  awarded 7 mill it’s less than most feel he wants and decent value

yeah he’s a ufa next summer so he’s sold at the deadline if a extension can’t be reached he isn’t getting trade protection from  arbitration 

Im under the impression that after arbitration, you can't deal a player for a calendar year, but I can't find info that confirms nor discredits this. 

Perhaps, I'm off the mark on this

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Im under the impression that after arbitration, you can't deal a player for a calendar year, but I can't find info that confirms nor discredits this. 

Perhaps, I'm off the mark on this

I think you might be thinking of offer sheets.

I found this in regards to arbitration.  The team can't walk away from a team-elected arbitration ruling, but can walk away from a player-elected arbitration ruling if it exceeds the threshold.  Nothing about time limits on trading away a player that had an arbitration ruling, nothing that says you can't extend after the ruling (though I suspect the extension signing probably can't happen until January).

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration/2021

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Combover said:

It is

But it’s also a tool.

lol.. you can't go into next season with Hronek not signed long term.. sure  you can trade him at the deadline?? and then does that mean you are throwing the towel for the playoff? coz you more than likely ain't getting a top 4 defenceman back... so either you throw in the towel at the deadline by gutting your defence? or u let him walk for free

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol.. you can't go into next season with Hronek not signed long term.. sure  you can trade him at the deadline?? and then does that mean you are throwing the towel for the playoff? coz you more than likely ain't getting a top 4 defenceman back... so either you throw in the towel at the deadline by gutting your defence? or u let him walk for free

I think if he doesn't sign a good team friendly deal he will be traded by the draft.

Seems a few teams are interested.Saying that we can play them against each other and get max value.

31 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I think if he doesn't sign a good team friendly deal he will be traded by the draft.

Seems a few teams are interested.Saying that we can play them against each other and get max value.

he's either signed long term or he's gone there's no 1 year deal prove me crap coz it makes 0 sense at the deadline.. to be a seller.. coz u ain't finding a top 4 defenceman with terms back..

3 hours ago, Combover said:

As per the province 

Hronek is a restricted free agent, so the Canucks control most of the story. They can make a qualifying offer to retain his rights, but he does have arbitration rights and it's expected he would win a one- or two-year contract worth at least $7 million per season if he did.

Hronek can't be awarded a 2 year contract. He only has 1 year of RFA left. 

Screenshot_20240531_003909_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think you might be thinking of offer sheets.

I found this in regards to arbitration.  The team can't walk away from a team-elected arbitration ruling, but can walk away from a player-elected arbitration ruling if it exceeds the threshold.  Nothing about time limits on trading away a player that had an arbitration ruling, nothing that says you can't extend after the ruling (though I suspect the extension signing probably can't happen until January).

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration/2021

You could be right that I was thinking if an offer sheet.  If he can be traded, then letting it go to arbitration might not be too bad.  However, he's probably going to get a big number in the settlement, bigger than he's worth to the team

Ultimately I want to see him stay, but if he's not taking very close to the original offer, I'd move him before July 

• Cheers 1

The big question for me is, can Big Z play with Hughes? Either on the right side or on the left with Hughes moving over to play a big of a rover.

Theoretically, Big Z is the big bodied, puck moving d-man Hughes needs beside him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

The big question for me is, can Big Z play with Hughes? Either on the right side or on the left with Hughes moving over to play a big of a rover.

Theoretically, Big Z is the big bodied, puck moving d-man Hughes needs beside him.

I agree. I think Zadorov and Hughes could work together.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

They did this for parts of Edmonton series and it didn’t look bad 

Agreed. They were very noticeable together in a positive way. 

Edited by fuzzy
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

I agree. I think Zadorov and Hughes could work together.

That’s the thing if we’re gonna pay guys like Zadorov and Joshua they need to play a bigger role.

Cant have them as third pair and third line guys they gotta move up the lineup.

If Zadorov can play with Hughes I have no problem with him making 5 mil. Then you can fill out the rest of the D with some cheaper guys. Same thing with Joshua, if he can play on the second line, then 3.5 mil aint so bad. 

Thatll be up to management if they think these guys can play a bigger role though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing if we’re gonna pay guys like Zadorov and Joshua they need to play a bigger role.

If Zadorov can play with Hughes I have no problem with him making 5 mil. Then you can fill out the rest of the D with some cheaper guys. Same thing with Joshua, if he can play on the second line, then 3.5 mil aint so bad. 

Thatll be up to management if they think these guys can play a bigger role though.

Zadorov with Hughes works for 1 out if every 6 regular season games. Problem with Zadorov is he will play a handful of games in cruise control and then put his foot on the gas when he feels like it. There were certain games in the regular season where he looked like a 6 million dollar dman and then went right back to being a solid 3rd pairing D. It was nice to see him sustain it in the playoffs but you have to remember he had millions of dollars on the line.

How much of a fire will be lit under him if you give him 5 or more years of financial security? Food for thought.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And if there is a coaching staff that can get more out of these two, it’s Tocchet’s. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The thing is it's not just can Zadorov keep up with Hughes for a couple shifts or play with him for the odd game. It's asking for him to play an extra 5min/game at even strength more than what he played this past season, and it's with Hughes. That's a very large jump and a lot to ask.

I think Zadorov already answered in the playoffs that at least for short stints he can keep up with Hughes, but that doesn't mean he can do it for a full season.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, canucks curse said:

They did this for parts of Edmonton series and it didn’t look bad 

They did.   And it reduced/ settled  contact to QHs (cheaphots maybe  too) down, from occurring.   Just as expected.   When a 6'6" 250lb tree  with wheels is on the ice, got to watch out, hitting is a huge part of his game (isn't taking himself widely out of position) and sends a message when he does paste a guy, tone of the game.    Plus he's one of the few guys that will fight and is actually not bad at that either.   Can't have a team made up of just skill, and small/light skill,  has always needed protection, still today.    If a guy is willing to take an instigator, then let him.   Can change the entire series. and also creates a rep, not to mess us.     

Had a great playoff's production wise.     He won't cost the farm.   He's right where number 5's are maybe a little on the high side, intangibles is part of he puzzle.    Aside from Dillon  (Juulsen looks a lot like a young Dillon IMO, minus the odd scrap), where are we going to find this sort of player?   And Dillon isn't young.    Both sides want this, so that's encouraging.   5.25 x 5, maybe even 5 x 6 (if term is where they are off).     

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Agreed.  Except I would replace Cole with Juulsen.

That's likely their plan.   Most of Myers and  Cole's extra cash goes to Zadarov and Hronek, and Juulsen slots in with a cheap security blanket for injuries (Irwin type).  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Agreed.  Except I would replace Cole with Juulsen.

Juulsen is a solid number 7 but he shouldn’t be a regular.

Im fine replacing Cole but it has to be with another proven vet.

Edited by DeNiro

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juulsen is a solid number 7 but he shouldn’t be a regular.

Im fine replacing Cole but it has to be with another proven vet.

Unless he can elevate his game next season. Last season's performance was solid but I agree not good enough to be penciled into the top six. He needs to add elements to his game over the summer and come back better than this season if he expects to take the six spot.

• Like 1

They gotta get Zadorov signed. Guys like him don't grow on trees. Say the Canucks offer him $4.5 and he wants $6, I say meet in the middle and go up to $5.25 per and 6 years. Could we all live with that?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

IT WILL BE A MASSIVE MISTAKE TO LOSE HIM.

It’s TERM HE WANTS !  

He wears his heart on his sleeve for this team and always will if we keep him under these circumstances.

Adjustments to personnel will not be difficult if offering 5- 5.6 per .

Basically 1-2m more for a player with his size strength skill and speed , who has really just been given the opportunities to show what he did , and is just going into his prime.

BiG men like Zadorov age and play well for a long time.

( perhaps the Government can absorb 50% of his cap hit with refugee status 😉 )

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3