[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Friedman is full of it. 

His takes always lean negative when it comes to the Canucks.

Love watching his smug grin disappear when the Canucks do well.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Friedman is full of it. 

Think what you want, I view him as a guy who's generally pretty well connected even if this is more speculative on his part. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

BREAKING NEWS:

Canucks have > 25 million in cap

They will spend it on a bunch of players.

Those players are going to be pretty good.

You forgot your e5

Fake news 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You forgot your e5

Fake news 

shoot you are right.

E4 Miss Lippy's car is green

E5 Darnel Nurse listens to Jewel

E??? Skinner likes mayonnaise but the tuna gets stuck in his stash 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 10:24 AM, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing if we’re gonna pay guys like Zadorov and Joshua they need to play a bigger role.

Cant have them as third pair and third line guys they gotta move up the lineup.

If Zadorov can play with Hughes I have no problem with him making 5 mil. Then you can fill out the rest of the D with some cheaper guys. Same thing with Joshua, if he can play on the second line, then 3.5 mil aint so bad. 

Thatll be up to management if they think these guys can play a bigger role though.

why? if joshua say is signed for 3.5-4mil.. since when 3.5-4mil player have to play in the top 6? that might be true if you stacked your top line like colorado they are paying 28mil on their top line.. even tampa bay their top 6 almost all but maybe 1 is over 6mil... what we can't have is garland and mikheyev making 10mil both in the bottom 6.. as for zadorov.. 5mil is absolutely ok for a 2nd pairing role... ideally your top pairing should be around the 14-15mil range.. then your second pairing 7-8 say zad at 5 you can have another 3mil ish partner and then bottom pairing ideally 2-3mil except we are paying close to 5-6mil for the bottom pairing.. canucks prolly have the most expensive bottom 4 defenceman in the league last year.. vegas is pretty close to that range for each pairings i threw out well maybe not their bottom pairing but the rest are pretty close. 

expectation garland and mikheyev plays and perform like a top 6.. reality neither could play in the top 6 and we were stuck with suters and pdg in the top 6

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why? if joshua say is signed for 3.5-4mil.. since when 3.5-4mil player have to play in the top 6? that might be true if you stacked your top line like colorado they are paying 28mil on their top line.. even tampa bay their top 6 almost all but maybe 1 is over 6mil... what we can't have is garland and mikheyev making 10mil both in the bottom 6.. as for zadorov.. 5mil is absolutely ok for a 2nd pairing role... ideally your top pairing should be around the 14-15mil range.. then your second pairing 7-8 say zad at 5 you can have another 3mil ish partner and then bottom pairing ideally 2-3mil except we are paying close to 5-6mil for the bottom pairing.. canucks prolly have the most expensive bottom 4 defenceman in the league last year.. vegas is pretty close to that range for each pairings i threw out well maybe not their bottom pairing but the rest are pretty close. 

expectation garland and mikheyev plays and perform like a top 6.. reality neither could play in the top 6 and we were stuck with suters and pdg in the top 6

Why would we pay Joshua that much? Didn’t he put up 32 points??? 32 points and hits,okay…wow. There’s only 300 forwards in this league that can do that and probably 250 of them can add much much more. To me that’s not worth paying a million over league average. From a logical stand point you should only be paying him 2M/season. 2.5 if you think his potential is much higher. 

On 6/2/2024 at 11:03 AM, gwarrior said:

They gotta get Zadorov signed. Guys like him don't grow on trees. Say the Canucks offer him $4.5 and he wants $6, I say meet in the middle and go up to $5.25 per and 6 years. Could we all live with th

i don’t think I can. 

especially if Brenden Dillon could be signed for less money and less term.

Could argue that Dillon is a better overall player than Z too but won’t have the high end moments Z can sometimes deliver. 

I like big z I love the edge I love his presence, I love his personality, I like his shot, I like that he can skate the puck out of the zone and I like how he can be a bully in the playoffs and embrace the Canadian market like he can.

but we have to be careful with big money terms on the backend on guys that have been a career bottom pairing guy regardless of his unicorn intangibles. Especially in the world we sign Hronek.

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Why would we pay Joshua that much? Didn’t he put up 32 points??? 32 points and hits,okay…wow. There’s only 300 forwards in this league that can do that and probably 250 of them can add much much more. To me that’s not worth paying a million over league average. From a logical stand point you should only be paying him 2M/season. 2.5 if you think his potential is much higher. 

So how did mikheyev get 4.75milx4?

4 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

If it's so easy to throw hits Blueger, Giuseppe, Aman, Suter., Lafferty would be smashing out there. Well they aren't. Joshua generates chances with his hits, can score 15-18 goals, decent defensively. That is worth 3-4million. If you are unwilling to pay someone who scores goals, is physical, plays Tocchet hockey, then I dont know what you are hogging the money for. Or are you trying to lowball Joshua? One of our players who showed up to the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

If it's so easy to throw hits Blueger, Giuseppe, Aman, Suter., Lafferty would be smashing out there. Well they aren't. Joshua generates chances with his hits, can score 15-18 goals, decent defensively. That is worth 3-4million. If you are unwilling to pay someone who scores goals, is physical, plays Tocchet hockey, then I dont know what you are hogging the money for. Or are you trying to lowball Joshua? One of our players who showed up to the playoffs. 

And DJ is an excellent PK guy who stands up for his teammates. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It was the swagger he played with for me.

If this team lets him and Zadorov go they’ll be a pretty easy team to play against again.

Agreed.

This is why I had these two at the top of my priority list, ahead of Hronek and Lindholm.

I'd like to keep Blueger and Myers as well.

• ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

His takes always lean negative when it comes to the Canucks.

Love watching his smug grin disappear when the Canucks do well.

I think many of the media are also quite aware of the trolling and crap they receive and hear on social media from Canucks fans. I love my Canucks but too many people here spit vitriol about opposing teams and the media if they don't placate the fan base with niceties about the Canucks. It is the truth, so while unprofessional sure but some of the remarks from media are not without reason.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It was the swagger he played with for me.

If this team lets him and Zadorov go they’ll be a pretty easy team to play against again.

That's the reality. The team needs to have players like Zadorov and Joshua to provide the viable toughness that emboldens the rest of the team. Miller is that type of player, as are Myers and Juulsen. If this team wants any success in the playoffs, they'll need to retain some of these players. Zadorov is one of the most intimidating players in the league, so securing his contract should be top priority. He's proven himself to his teammates here and to the fanbase. 

Out of both Z and Joshua, Z has the harder size and capability to replace. Having him locked in as a long term roster player would be a good thing for the team. 

• Upvote 2

I definitely look at the quality mins played more than what line/pairing a player plays on. Paying Big Z and DJ is fine as long as they they project to play the right number/type of mins.

In my view, DJ would need to be able to consistently play more than the 14:23 mins per game he played this year and Zadorov more than the 17:04 mins per game he played. 

Mikheyev is another good example. He needs to get back to playing the 16 plus quality mins he played the year before, rather than the 14 plus mins he played this season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Esmond said:

Straight from the source..

Maybe for Zadorov but Milstein doesn't represent Lindholm. And I'm sure MacIntyre has more integrity than to report something like this without knowing for certain what's going on. 

Also side note, your profile pic caught me off guard when the eyes moved 😅

Edited by Pears
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pears said:

Maybe for Zadorov but Milstein doesn't represent Lindholm. And I'm sure MacIntyre has more integrity than to report something like this without knowing for certain what's going on. 

Millstein probably just doesn’t like this stuff getting out.

Im sure they’re talking but he doesn’t wanna reveal his hand.

• Like 3