[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

5 minutes ago, Esmond said:

Straight from the source..

That seems a bit out of line and uncharacteristic from Dan Milstein

I guess if he does not re sign Dan does not want the market thinking its because the canucks didn't want him 

This just makes Dan look like a bit of a jerk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

That seems a bit out of line and uncharacteristic from Dan Milstein

I guess if he does not re sign Dan does not want the market thinking its because the canucks didn't want him 

This just makes Dan look like a bit of a jerk.

it’s hard to tell what tone people have on social media so it’s not good to assume.

He very well could be making a joke because a deal is in fact very close. After all the term “fake news” typically refers to something that’s true.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

it’s hard to tell what tone people have on social media so it’s not good to assume.

He very well could be making a joke because a deal is in fact very close. After all the term “fake news” typically refers to something that’s true.

Good point haha will be interesting to see if this rumor actually has legs. Toch mentioning Lindholm so many times in his press availability was interesting.

• Like 1

Latest On Nikita Zadorov

June 6th, 2024 at 2:03pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Earlier Thursday, it appeared there might be some progress on extension talks between the Canucks and pending UFA defenseman Nikita Zadorov, according to Sportsnet’s Iain MacIntyre. However, that was quickly refuted by Zadorov’s agent, Dan Milstein, and additionally  by a report from CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal, who said the likelihood of Zadorov remaining in Vancouver was looking “bleak.”

Zadorov, 29, was successful in his short stint with the Canucks. Picked up from the Flames via trade in late November, he finished the year with 14 points, a +6 rating and a whopping 102 PIMs in 54 games in a Vancouver sweater while averaging 17:04 per contest.

The legend of the 6’6″, 250-lb defender grew in the postseason, where he was arguably the team’s second-most valuable blue liner behind Norris finalist Quinn Hughes. He exploded for four goals and eight points in only 13 games, supplementing that with a +3 rating and good underlying metrics while averaging over 20 minutes per night.

That certainly boosted his value as he wraps up a two-year, $7.5MM contract he signed with Calgary in 2022. The hulking Russian has now logged at least 20 points in three consecutive seasons, posted a career-high 125 PIMs this season, and posted strong possession quality numbers during his previous two seasons in Calgary.

Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff reported last month that Zadorov would likely seek a six-year, $36MM ($6MM AAV) deal should he hit the open market. For a player without a lengthy history of playing top-four minutes, though, that’s a prohibitively expensive price tag.

Evolving Hockey projects Zadorov to receive a three-year deal at a $4MM cap hit, more in line with what shutdown defender Erik Gudbranson received from the Blue Jackets two summers go. In all likelihood, his next deal will likely fall somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/latest-on-nikita-zadorov.html#ref=home

On 6/5/2024 at 6:22 PM, DeNiro said:

It was the swagger he played with for me.

If this team lets him and Zadorov go they’ll be a pretty easy team to play against again.

if we are talking about “intangibles” 

Swagger is something that is VERY rare to find 

no.1 reason why I want him back…his ability to blow guys up is a close no. 2 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I would take Iain MacIntyre as a more credible source than Dhaliwal or other to be honest.

End of the day, it is counter productive and a negative if the Canucks sign Zadorov at a cap anywhere near $6m per. It just doesn't make sense for this team and that's ok.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Seems like term and about 5 might get it done. Term seems to be the common denominator in every article. Gotta take all the hear say with a grain of salt. With Soucy on a pretty damn good contract, I don't mind him playing down to 3rd pair and paying Z 5x6 at all. 

Rough$$ 

Hughes - Hronek -  15$ M 

Zadorov - Myers. -  8$ M 

Soucy - Juulsen.  - 4+$  M

27+ M 

What's the average cost for a top six D group nowadays?? 

Edited by Rick_theRyper

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Latest On Nikita Zadorov

June 6th, 2024 at 2:03pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Earlier Thursday, it appeared there might be some progress on extension talks between the Canucks and pending UFA defenseman Nikita Zadorov, according to Sportsnet’s Iain MacIntyre. However, that was quickly refuted by Zadorov’s agent, Dan Milstein, and additionally  by a report from CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal, who said the likelihood of Zadorov remaining in Vancouver was looking “bleak.”

Zadorov, 29, was successful in his short stint with the Canucks. Picked up from the Flames via trade in late November, he finished the year with 14 points, a +6 rating and a whopping 102 PIMs in 54 games in a Vancouver sweater while averaging 17:04 per contest.

The legend of the 6’6″, 250-lb defender grew in the postseason, where he was arguably the team’s second-most valuable blue liner behind Norris finalist Quinn Hughes. He exploded for four goals and eight points in only 13 games, supplementing that with a +3 rating and good underlying metrics while averaging over 20 minutes per night.

That certainly boosted his value as he wraps up a two-year, $7.5MM contract he signed with Calgary in 2022. The hulking Russian has now logged at least 20 points in three consecutive seasons, posted a career-high 125 PIMs this season, and posted strong possession quality numbers during his previous two seasons in Calgary.

Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff reported last month that Zadorov would likely seek a six-year, $36MM ($6MM AAV) deal should he hit the open market. For a player without a lengthy history of playing top-four minutes, though, that’s a prohibitively expensive price tag.

Evolving Hockey projects Zadorov to receive a three-year deal at a $4MM cap hit, more in line with what shutdown defender Erik Gudbranson received from the Blue Jackets two summers go. In all likelihood, his next deal will likely fall somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/latest-on-nikita-zadorov.html#ref=home

I'm sure some folks around here would be okay with the Loui Eriksson special 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I would take Iain MacIntyre as a more credible source than Dhaliwal or other to be honest.

End of the day, it is counter productive and a negative if the Canucks sign Zadorov at a cap anywhere near $6m per. It just doesn't make sense for this team and that's ok.

they have to sign someone to play in the top 4, those are all around 4-7 million - Pesce, Zads, Tanev, Roy, Walker, Durzi RFA

9 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Seems like term and about 5 might get it done. Term seems to be the common denominator in every article. Gotta take all the hear say with a grain of salt. With Soucy on a pretty damn good contract, I don't mind him playing down to 3rd pair and paying Z 5x6 at all. 

Rough$$ 

Hughes - Hronek -  15$ M 

Zadorov - Myers. -  8$ M 

27+ M 

Don't know the average, but here are some of the top groups in the league and the cost of their top 6:

VGK - $29M

COL - $25.75M for their top 4 (so likely closer to $30M for a top 6 group)

TBL - $30.4M

Hard to quantify the CAR, FLA, DAL, NYR, etc as they only have 3 of their top 6 guys locked in for 2024/25.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

they have to sign someone to play in the top 4, those are all around 4-7 million - Pesce, Zads, Tanev, Roy, Walker, Durzi RFA

I understand this for sure.

Vancouver used Soucy and Myers as a second pair at times but that duo played well together. I would have to think that pair will interchange with whomever is the next pair on defense throughout the year too.

I just don't see Zadorov as a legit top four defenseman and if a team uses him as one you will see holes in his game, we just finished complaining about Myers for earning $ 6m per as a defenseman who showed holes in his game being played too much. This is exactly the issue that we will run into with Zadorov. I want him back, think he was great but doesn't change that throughout his career he is a 4/5 if not bottom pair defenseman. I think bringing him back in the 5's is a little high but expect if he returns it will be the 5m-5.5m range. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm sure some folks around here would be okay with the Loui Eriksson special 

In a way, yeah. Eriksson came here and did fuck all. Scored on his own net. 

Zadorov has already shown what he can do. And how well he can do it. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Rough$$ 

Hughes - Hronek -  15$ M 

Zadorov - Myers. -  8$ M 

27+ M 

$27 million is about right.  That's a top end defensive unit.  Once D-Petey and Willander come into play it will be cheaper...

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$27 million is about right.  That's a top end defensive unit.  Once D-Petey and Willander come into play it will be cheaper...

I dunno about 'top end'.  Most of the top defensive units around the league seem to be pushing close to $30M for all 6 guys. 

32 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Dhaliwal is very credible… you just have to take every comment from him as being told to him by an agent.  That is 100% if his connections.

Unfortunately agents have no moral or legal imperative to tell the truth. They use the media guy like Dhaliwal to get the message out they want out there.  If you know that you can read between the lines pretty well.

I just loved what Zadorov brought and that is the player everyone was hoping Tryamkin would turn into.  That is a $4-5 million dollar guy though and not a $6 million guy with a bunch of term.

If he signed a deal like that in Vancouver he would go from hero to zero really fast.  Canadian markets aren’t kind to guy who don’t live up to their contracts.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In a way, yeah. Eriksson came here and did fuck all. Scored on his own net. 

Zadorov has already shown what he can do. And how well he can do it. 

Fair, I would personally never. I'd prefer him at four years, five would be the absolute max. I'd rather pay him more in the short term to keep the term down. 

It's not just about what he's done this season but what he'll do going forward, I'm skeptical as to what he'll be worth at 34-36. 

I hope the Canucks are on the same page, managing which deals expire when is important but so is having deals that'll ideally age well for the most part. We may diverge on how we think he'll age, and on what he's worth.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

This sounds very promising especially coming from iMac. 

Yeah iMac is one of the trust insiders IMO.  I don't think I've ever heard an exaggeration or lie from him.  If he says this, then I have hope that Zadorov and Lindholm return.  It makes a lot of sense if the dollars make reasonable sense...

Zadorov in the $5M to $5.5M range.

Lindholm in the $7M to $7.5M range.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m sure they’re looking at the upcoming feeding frenzy for free agents and realizing re-signing their own will be WAY cheaper.

Like would you rather have Lindholm and Blueger or Guentzel?

Would you rather have Zadorov and Joshua or Pesce?

Edited by DeNiro

It is impossible to resign:

Joshua, Zadorov and Lindholm at full market value while adding a top 6 piece.

It is also impossible to resign that mix while keeping Mikehyev.

The only way it is possible is:

1. Myers take a big discount to make the math work.

2. Joshua, Zadorov, Lindholm all agree to taking slightly less while still getting substantial raises from last year.

- Joshua would have to sign: $2.85-$3.25 anything higher I dont think it will happen.

- Zadorov has to be under $5M even if we have to extend the term to make it happen, is the only way I see it happening.

- Lindholm would be the most difficult and he has to take under $7M and we make have to give him the 8th year to make the total money work and front load the deal so he can set up his family nice here right away.

3. Mikehyev has to be traded with no salary coming back to a bottom feeder team that likes the player and wants to bet on his rebound. or Bought Out.

4. The top 6 addition add would depend on how much money is left but it would be basically Mik type money 4.5-5.5 range. An interesting target would be Chandler Stephenson. He can be a 2-3C on a championship team, and he can be a top line LW on a championship team. He also plays with great pace and takes care of himself physically to the standard our organization values. 

I could see him being a player management likes as he has a decent pro body, the speed, the even strength scoring and could fit in on our PP either unit 1 on the bumper or unit 2 with garland.

Why sign with us? He gets the opportunity to be on a top team in the west, he gets the opportunity to play with Petey or a 3C with Garland. We would have great C depth. He would be a big special teams piece with PK and PP fit for him. I think hes a player who will age well and hes ready for a bigger opportunity. He has playoff / cup experience too. 

I also like the way he forechecks and think stylistically he could sneakily be a great fit with Petey.

There is still opportunity for JL too as we would be adding a LW/C not a big ticket RW.

And I love the idea of of when JL is ready spot trying him in situations with either:

Stephenson-Petey-JL in offensive zone starts

And even a line up of:

Stephenson-Petey-Hoglander

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-JL

Joshua-Lindholm would be a pretty nice way to introduce JL to the NHL both have the size, smarts and two way play to help transition him to the show.

Anyways for this season, if all of those conditions to bring back the key UFA's we all clearly like happen and Mikehyev is removed, the line up would be:

Stephenson-Petey-Hoglander

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Bains/Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Blankenburg

Demko

Silovs

Forward group has lots of flex since it has 6 Centres 5 of which are top 9 calibre and 4 are top 6 capable. That is unreal C Depth.

PP1:

Miller

Boeser

Petey

Stephenson / Lindholm

Hughes

PP2:

Lindholm / Stephenson

Garland

Joshua

Hoglander

Hronek