[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

I think the Canucks and Allvin have shown they are not afraid to use the media to send messages to the fans.  I think they are playing hardball wtih the free agents and want the fans to know that they tried their best to keep them.  It's a form of damage control.  I suspect this is what the IMac tweet is all about.

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It is impossible to resign:

Joshua, Zadorov and Lindholm at full market value while adding a top 6 piece.

It is also impossible to resign that mix while keeping Mikehyev.

The only way it is possible is:

1. Myers take a big discount to make the math work.

2. Joshua, Zadorov, Lindholm all agree to taking slightly less while still getting substantial raises from last year.

- Joshua would have to sign: $2.85-$3.25 anything higher I dont think it will happen.

- Zadorov has to be under $5M even if we have to extend the term to make it happen, is the only way I see it happening.

- Lindholm would be the most difficult and he has to take under $7M and we make have to give him the 8th year to make the total money work and front load the deal so he can set up his family nice here right away.

3. Mikehyev has to be traded with no salary coming back to a bottom feeder team that likes the player and wants to bet on his rebound. or Bought Out.

4. The top 6 addition add would depend on how much money is left but it would be basically Mik type money 4.5-5.5 range. An interesting target would be Chandler Stephenson. He can be a 2-3C on a championship team, and he can be a top line LW on a championship team. He also plays with great pace and takes care of himself physically to the standard our organization values. 

I could see him being a player management likes as he has a decent pro body, the speed, the even strength scoring and could fit in on our PP either unit 1 on the bumper or unit 2 with garland.

Why sign with us? He gets the opportunity to be on a top team in the west, he gets the opportunity to play with Petey or a 3C with Garland. We would have great C depth. He would be a big special teams piece with PK and PP fit for him. I think hes a player who will age well and hes ready for a bigger opportunity. He has playoff / cup experience too. 

I also like the way he forechecks and think stylistically he could sneakily be a great fit with Petey.

There is still opportunity for JL too as we would be adding a LW/C not a big ticket RW.

And I love the idea of of when JL is ready spot trying him in situations with either:

Stephenson-Petey-JL in offensive zone starts

And even a line up of:

Stephenson-Petey-Hoglander

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-JL

Joshua-Lindholm would be a pretty nice way to introduce JL to the NHL both have the size, smarts and two way play to help transition him to the show.

Anyways for this season, if all of those conditions to bring back the key UFA's we all clearly like happen and Mikehyev is removed, the line up would be:

Stephenson-Petey-Hoglander

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Bains/Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Blankenburg

Demko

Silovs

Forward group has lots of flex since it has 6 Centres 5 of which are top 9 calibre and 4 are top 6 capable. That is unreal C Depth.

PP1:

Miller

Boeser

Petey

Stephenson / Lindholm

Hughes

PP2:

Lindholm / Stephenson

Garland

Joshua

Hoglander

Hronek

PK1:

Lindholm

Joshua

Soucy

Myers

PK2:

Stephenson

Aman

Zadorov

Juulsen / Hronek

Lindholm is the top 6 piece though.

They would be banking on him getting back to being a 70-80 player at under market value.

They probably weighed their options and realized he’s a better gamble that allows you to add more depth than putting all their eggs in one basket and signing Guenztel for 9-10 mil 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

This sounds very promising especially coming from iMac. 

I'd Put Lindholm and Zadorov as 1 and 2 on my list of priorities to resign. I'd really hope to get Joshua as well, but it sounds like he's wanting to cash in, which is up to him as he may not have another year like this one. I'm hopeful Lindholm and Zadorov can work out some deals with some term and a reasonable cap hit to give management a little extra room to work with to round out the team.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lindholm is the top 6 piece though.

They would be banking on him getting back to being a 70-80 player at under market value.

They probably weighed their options and realized he’s a better gamble that allows you to add more depth than putting all their eggs in one basket and signing Guenztel for 9-10 mil 

The funny thing is though we could bring everyone back AND add Guentzel, and have a little bit left over. I don't think Guentzel is gonna cost more than $8 million at the absolute most and even then we could still make that work.

Is this possible? Not likely, but I've argued we need two top six forwards if we want to take the next step, and we can't keep revolving the Suter's and Mikheyev's in and out of it. 

And if Hronek is refusing to come down from his rumoured asking price, then you gotta flip him for futures and bring someone in from free agency to help fill that void. 

Edited by Pears
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

The funny thing is though we could bring everyone back AND add Guentzel, and have a little bit left over. I don't think Guentzel is gonna cost more than $8 million at the absolute most and even then we could still make that work.

Is this possible? Not likely, but I've argued we need two top six forwards if we want to take the next step, and we can't keep revolving the Suter's and Mikheyev's in and out of it. 

And if Hronek is refusing to come down from his rumoured asking price, then you gotta flip him for futures and bring someone in from free agency to help fill that void. 

moving Hronek for futures would force the Canucks to have their Abbotsford D men progress into the NHL faster..that is not a bad thing

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ngoway said:

I'd Put Lindholm and Zadorov as 1 and 2 on my list of priorities to resign. I'd really hope to get Joshua as well, but it sounds like he's wanting to cash in, which is up to him as he may not have another year like this one. I'm hopeful Lindholm and Zadorov can work out some deals with some term and a reasonable cap hit to give management a little extra room to work with to round out the team.

The thing about Lindholm is his floor is likely still a 60 point shutdown center that can win alot of faceoffs and will probably cost you less than Horvat.

If he reaches his ceiling again he’s a 70-80 point 35-40 goal scorer.

Guenztel on the other hand is gonna cost you way more and if he isn’t a fit here or underperforms he doesn’t really have anything else to fall back on. Then you’ve got a severely overpaid top 6 player.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The thing about Lindholm is his floor is likely still a 60 point shutdown center that can win alot of faceoffs and will probably cost you less than Horvat.

If he reaches his ceiling again he’s a 70-80 point 35-40 goal scorer.

Guenztel on the other hand is gonna cost you way more and if he isn’t a fit here or underperforms he doesn’t really have anything else to fall back on. Then you’ve got a severely overpaid top 6 player.

Guentzel definitely knows how to score goals, but I'd rather we stay away from. Agreed he'd cost way more, and I value Lindholm at much more and we already saw a good sample size of what Lindholm brings.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I dunno about 'top end'.  Most of the top defensive units around the league seem to be pushing close to $30M for all 6 guys. 

Dallas defence was $22 million before they traded for Tavev.  Tanev pushed them up to $27 million.  Florida is at $23 million right now.  Edmonton is at $26 million.  NY Rangers are at $26.5 million.  These are the semi finalists for the cup this year...

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, testycal said:

moving Hronek for futures would force the Canucks to have their Abbotsford D men progress into the NHL faster..that is not a bad thing

But we wouldn't use anyone from Abbotsford, no one there is ready for a full time role like that yet. If you could get a Pesce/Roy type that would be ideal, maybe Montour if he can come in under a $7 million AAV. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dallas defence was $22 million before they traded for Tavev.  Tanev pushed them up to $27 million.  Florida is at $23 million right now.  Edmonton is at $26 million.  NY Rangers are at $26.5 million.  These are the semi finalists for the cup this year...

All those teams are literally in a bargain situation.  Pretty much all of them, if they want to continue with a top end defensive unit, will have to re-sign half of their D cores. 

Absolutely you can have a top end D group for less, but it usually means you've got guys playing well above their payscale (ie. ELCs, RFA deals that haven't come time to renew, etc).

What will the D cores of FLA, NYR, DAL, CAR, etc cost this coming year?

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

All those teams are literally in a bargain situation.  Pretty much all of them, if they want to continue with a top end defensive unit, will have to re-sign half of their D cores. 

Absolutely you can have a top end D group for less, but it usually means you've got guys playing well above their payscale (ie. ELCs, RFA deals that haven't come time to renew, etc).

What will the D cores of FLA, NYR, DAL, CAR, etc cost this coming year?

Well they made the last 4 with the defence they have now.  With a more expensive defence who's to say they can make it next year?  The cap is going up so $28-29 million would be the max next year if you want to have a competitive team...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Well they made the last 4 with the defence they have now.  With a more expensive defence who's to say they can make it next year?  The cap is going up so $28-29 million would be the max next year if you want to have a competitive team...

Absolutely, but realistically, a sustained top end D group would be pushing close to $30M.  When you look at the elite teams with their actual D cores locked in, they're pushing close to $30M. 

Those teams you mentioned:  FLA, NYR, DAL, CAR, etc... they're all gonna be close to $30M for their D groups next year unless they decide to cut back and spend more up front. 

It's getting close to an answer now. Down to days, even hours. People like to sensationalize about the numbers and obviously what's being talked about is

much more then he's been making.  Milstein will meet with the Canucks 

Zadorov was a star for the Canucks during the postseason and became a fan favourite. He’s due to be an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and is searching for term, as well as a significant raise on his new contract.

More details about contract talks, or the lack thereof, between the two sides were put forward by CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal today on the Donnie & Dhali show.

“No progress…no offers or conversations about contracts since the playoffs ended,” explained Dhaliwal. “No talks in a while; the Canucks have not met with Milstein in Buffalo…at the combine.”

You just know when it's made to sound so bleak, It's about to happen.  Look at it this way. "how long has it been, since the Canucks have had a true enforcer?

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely, but realistically, a sustained top end D group would be pushing close to $30M.  When you look at the elite teams with their actual D cores locked in, they're pushing close to $30M. 

Those teams you mentioned:  FLA, NYR, DAL, CAR, etc... they're all gonna be close to $30M for their D groups next year unless they decide to cut back and spend more up front. 

Colorado has their top 4 locked in at $25 million.  They should be fine at $27-28 million.  Tampa is the one at $30 million for next year and are the ones who are screwed cap wise and may have to put Sergachev on LTIR just to complete their roster.  $30 million is absolute top end and is not really sustainable.  Which is why it is critical to get Willander and D-Petey into the lineup sooner rather than later.  It is also why we can't keep both Hronek and Zadorov.  It's one or the other IMO...

I think we get Z locked in eventually.

PA hasn’t signed anyone yet and it’s likely due to waiting for post playoffs and to get down to business. FLA will have to make moves that could have a ripple effect and I think there’s probably good reason to hold off on negotiation with the caveat that mgmt probably already knows what they are going to pay to whom to bring back and will facilitate that closer to draft/UFA period.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Colorado has their top 4 locked in at $25 million.  They should be fine at $27-28 million.  Tampa is the one at $30 million for next year and are the ones who are screwed cap wise and may have to put Sergachev on LTIR just to complete their roster.  $30 million is absolute top end and is not really sustainable.  Which is why it is critical to get Willander and D-Petey into the lineup sooner rather than later.  It is also why we can't keep both Hronek and Zadorov.  It's one or the other IMO...

Quality bottom pair guys are generally $2M+ unless they're ELC guys.  Look at our 2 cheapest defencemen last season... they were $3M+ each. 

COL is at $25.75M, so even if the bottom pair guys average $1.5M each, that pushes them into that $28.75M range.  Realistically $2M each, which has them in the $29.75M range.

I wouldn't say TBL is screwed cap wise.  They're just greedy and want to keep Stamkos on top of all of the following:

Kucherov

Point

Hedman

Sergachev

Hagel

Cirelli

Cernak

And then they added McDonagh for some reason... which really screwed things up.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Now take state taxes into factor. NYR gets the exception here because they're the most attractive market for NHL players to sign with, as NYC is one of the most popular cities on planet Earth. 

Edmonton's D corps is a joke. They have 2 legit NHL players. They made it to the Finals thanks to 2 players. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Quality bottom pair guys are generally $2M+ unless they're ELC guys.  Look at our 2 cheapest defencemen last season... they were $3M+ each. 

COL is at $25.75M, so even if the bottom pair guys average $1.5M each, that pushes them into that $28.75M range.  Realistically $2M each, which has them in the $29.75M range.

I wouldn't say TBL is screwed cap wise.  They're just greedy and want to keep Stamkos on top of all of the following:

Kucherov

Point

Hedman

Sergachev

Hagel

Cirelli

Cernak

And then they added McDonagh for some reason... which really screwed things up.

They added McDonagh because most likely Sergachev is going on LTIR.  Which will give them enough cap space to re-sign Stamkos.  Then Sergachev will miraculously be fully healed for the first game of the playoffs next season.  Rince and repeat...

9 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Now take state taxes into factor. NYR gets the exception here because they're the most attractive market for NHL players to sign with, as NYC is one of the most popular cities on planet Earth. 

Edmonton's D corps is a joke. They have 2 legit NHL players. They made it to the Finals thanks to 2 players. 

They still made it to the finals and might even with the cup.  If they win the cup who cares how bad their defence is.  Will it matter?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They added McDonagh because most likely Sergachev is going on LTIR.  Which will give them enough cap space to re-sign Stamkos.  Then Sergachev will miraculously be fully healed for the first game of the playoffs next season.  Rince and repeat...

Hope you're wrong... annoying as hell with VGK and TBL playing these stupid LTIR games.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$27 million is about right.  That's a top end defensive unit.  Once D-Petey and Willander come into play it will be cheaper...

Yeah bud I like that group. Defense was our focus point and it got us far. Need less passengers up front and a better PP. But we don't wanna take a huge step back D wise. Gotta keep what worked. D Petey and Willy will be able to role into a supportive cast too if we keep Z 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Hope you're wrong... annoying as hell with VGK and TBL playing these stupid LTIR games.

I doubt I am wrong.  In fact, I am pretty sure I am right.  The league will allow it once again.  I'd put money on that exact scenario happening...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Esmond said:

Straight from the source..

As someone posted on Twitter,

Dhaliwal likely gets his info from the agents (like Milstein) but iMac might be getting some info from the club. 

Not a surprise that the Canucks have Lindholm and Zadorov rated high as UFAs.  Also sounds like they have Myers on a hand shake deal.. and this doesn’t pertain to Hronek, who is an RFA. 

Canucks might not have even reached out to Milstein yet, but have prioritized taking a serious run at Zadorov (and Lindholm).  If I’m management, I throw the old “tough but fair” contract out at them.  Maybe 7x5  Lindholm and 4.75x5 for Zadorov to chew on but expect them to test FA. Both could get more, but not a lot more, at FA.  

That, or a day or two before UFA they throw the bag at them.  

In any case, I can believe they’re high priority but agents haven’t heard anything juicy yet.