[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

52 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Now take state taxes into factor. NYR gets the exception here because they're the most attractive market for NHL players to sign with, as NYC is one of the most popular cities on planet Earth. 

Edmonton's D corps is a joke. They have 2 legit NHL players. They made it to the Finals thanks to 2 players. 

Pretty successful joke so far

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Now take state taxes into factor. NYR gets the exception here because they're the most attractive market for NHL players to sign with, as NYC is one of the most popular cities on planet Earth. 

Edmonton's D corps is a joke. They have 2 legit NHL players. They made it to the Finals thanks to 2 players. 

Pretty weird take given that Edmonton's defense has been stellar this entire playoff run. 

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They still made it to the finals and might even with the cup.  If they win the cup who cares how bad their defence is.  Will it matter?

I mean... It hasn't been bad.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They still made it to the finals and might even with the cup.  If they win the cup who cares how bad their defence is.  Will it matter?

Yes, but they are an obvious exception. They're also paying a pylon 9.25 mil....

We don't have the luxury of winning 4 lotteries in 6 years. We haven't won a single one in 54....

So this argument about how much a contending D corps should cost... is kind of pointless? You have the best player in 30 years with his slashing pouting sidekick, the greatest city on earth, and 2 tax exempt states. Canucks having a D corps around 30-33 million is the equivalent. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dallas defence was $22 million before they traded for Tavev.  Tanev pushed them up to $27 million.  Florida is at $23 million right now.  Edmonton is at $26 million.  NY Rangers are at $26.5 million.  These are the semi finalists for the cup this year...

Thanks for that info there I figured we were around average for a good team! 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pretty successful joke so far

LA - no show for playoffs

Van - 3rd string goalie/leading scorer misses game 7

Dal - old team that had nothing left to give by the 3rd round

first 2 rounds they faced under .900 save percentage goalies and then 3rd round got a very underwhelming oettinger 

success is sometimes packed off luck 

5 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

LA - no show for playoffs

Van - 3rd string goalie/leading scorer misses game 7

Dal - old team that had nothing left to give by the 3rd round

first 2 rounds they faced under .900 save percentage goalies and then 3rd round got a very underwhelming oettinger 

success is sometimes packed off luck 

This is why this playoff format is a joke. If you are in a strong division the chances of you to make the Stanley cup final is exponentially harder than a bad division. Imagine teams like Colorado Dallas Winnipeg.. they need to most likely face each other in the 1st 2 round on top of likely the division winner in the 3rd round

• ThereItIs 1

36 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Thanks for that info there I figured we were around average for a good team! 

EDM had Bouchard at $3.9M bridge deal.

FLA had Forsling on a $2.7M bridge.

DAL had Harley on an ELC.

NYR had Miller and Lindgren on bridge deals and Schneider on an ELC.

So unless you feel Soucy is gonna play like a $5M to $6M defenceman, we will be hard pressed to put together a top tier D group with a bunch of vets and UFAs at only $27M.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Signing Big Z requires Galand to be traded for cap. Then we allocate 2 mil per from that savings to Big Z. 5.5 x six years. 

Not even just let Lindholm walk and sign Blueger for 3c. 

You probably have to carry Mik into next season but I think you dump him a few months in and use the cap space to bring in a top 6 winger via trade. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hammertime said:

You probably have to carry Mik into next season but I think you dump him a few months in and use the cap space to bring in a top 6 winger via trade. 

The Empties like that plan too. Who plays wing in our top six? 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dallas defence was $22 million before they traded for Tavev.  Tanev pushed them up to $27 million.  Florida is at $23 million right now.  Edmonton is at $26 million.  NY Rangers are at $26.5 million.  These are the semi finalists for the cup this year...

I think $28 Million would be the max cap allocation based on PA and JR history of Cap allocation to defence in teams they've built before.

So I am with you I dont want to spend more than that on our D

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Lindholm is the top 6 piece though.

They would be banking on him getting back to being a 70-80 player at under market value.

They probably weighed their options and realized he’s a better gamble that allows you to add more depth than putting all their eggs in one basket and signing Guenztel for 9-10 mil 

Do you think confidently Lindholm would play with Petey next season and that would be the plan?

Both are Cs and I dont know if they would want to play as hybrid C's on the same line regularly.

Its hard to judge when they played together they were both hurt, then Petey was when Lindholm came back and they tried it again.

Depending on the contract hit Lindholm would be pretty close to JG signing number.

Boston could take a run at him. And if their number is in the 8s and JG is 8-10 its not a huge difference.

I do think as a high end scoring option JG is by far the more dangerous player. He fit in to Carolina instantly as one of their best players. He is the kind of player that can play at the top of any line up.

His fit on our PP would be perfect too.

I do like EL fit as a RHC, match up roles and his direct impact to our PK unit. I am not 100% sold on him being a 30-40 goal scorer though. If we do sign him I would assume we have to go 8 years to get his total money contract closer to what he could get on the market to make it fit under the cap.

32 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Mik not being a top 6 option at his salary level really complicates our team build next year.

I think what happens with him will be really telling.

Obviously a buy out would suck especially stacked on the OEL peak years.

Trading him with nothing coming back sounds difficult

Running him with Petey next year is hard to visualize.

Him rebounding and having his best year is not impossible but I dont know. Maybe a hot start to year and flip is though like you say.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

EDM had Bouchard at $3.9M bridge deal.

FLA had Forsling on a $2.7M bridge.

DAL had Harley on an ELC.

NYR had Miller and Lindgren on bridge deals and Schneider on an ELC.

So unless you feel Soucy is gonna play like a $5M to $6M defenceman, we will be hard pressed to put together a top tier D group with a bunch of vets and UFAs at only $27M.

Not saying top tier, say average good team. 

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Myers

Soucy juulsen 

Its miles ahead of just two years ago, I ain't saying we're hitting homers, but steady doubles all day. Juulsen earned a shot at the 3rd guy with Soucy being so steady he will have a very supportive partner could be a real good 3rd pair imo

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, 5 min Major said:

Zadorov

This isnt “just” any Dman…

its irresponsible to just look at him as some “third pairing” filler…. “like hey we’ll just find someone cheaper”

….this is a monster of a player

not since jovocop.. have i felt this much swag on the backend (sorry bieksa… u a beaut too tho)

We were a completely different team after that rapetrade with calgary

its been a real long time since we’ve had a dman more than willing to chirp and stare down the other teams entire bench… and have our stars backs (when he dropped gloves for Petey)

this team needs exactly this player

not just for the swagger it brings the team… the security….  (think zadorov willander)

Its … “hey you better keep your head up out there” cause I guarantee everyone knows when he is out on the ice…. our boys do…. but the other team REALLY does

He is a proven playoff leader…. you know every GM wished he was in their lineup come playoff round two

with his sneaky good 2way play in the playoffs…. I feel Zadorov has more in him to develop and give next time(s) around … and I am excited to see what “sercurity in a long term commitment” as a physical piece of our playoff window future does for his willingness to put it all on the line .. for a cup

christ…. we’ve only had him for half a season and no training camp/offseason

I feel he gets better

This is about as no-brainer as it gets

k … my 2cents for tonight… pissed this hasnt got done yet…. should be move #1

Well said!

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most of the teams your mentioning have players to resign or let walk because of cap issues...much like us.

Florida could be in big trouble, they only have 3 legit defensemen after this season is over. OEL, Kulikov and Montour are all UFA's.

Looking at their backend they didn't spend a lot on their Defence... OEL was $2.25, Kulikov was $1 mill, Montour was $3.5 

That's a combined $6.75 million for half of their top 6 defensemen and their in the cup final. Florida spent a boatload ($14.5 million) of cap in net though. Yikes

In contract our lowest paid defenseman (top 6) was Cole at $3 million. We had $28.5 million (top 6) on the ice when we lost to Edmonton. 

That's what makes me think spending $8 million on Hronek alone is probably the wrong move.

For the same price you could get 2 decent UFA's that average 4 million each and still build a contender IMO.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 5 min Major said:

I feel he gets better

I think if you are going to slightly overpay anyone, it has to be Zadorov. Lindholm has already left town and Joshua is going to get some really good offers. Hronek will either get a one-year deal via arbitration or be traded before July 1st. I guess they could always agree on an extension, but I can't really see the team bending far enough to make Hronek sign long term. Worst case: he gets $7.5M on a one year deal, then gets traded at or before the trade deadline. Otherwise, he walks as a UFA. But I agree that Zadorov should be a priority.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, 5 min Major said:

Zadorov

This isnt “just” any Dman…

its irresponsible to just look at him as some “third pairing” filler…. “like hey we’ll just find someone cheaper”

….this is a monster of a player

not since jovocop.. have i felt this much swag on the backend (sorry bieksa… u a beaut too tho)

We were a completely different team after that rapetrade with calgary

its been a real long time since we’ve had a dman more than willing to chirp and stare down the other teams entire bench… and have our stars backs (when he dropped gloves for Petey)

this team needs exactly this player

not just for the swagger it brings the team… the security….  (think zadorov willander)

Its … “hey you better keep your head up out there” cause I guarantee everyone knows when he is out on the ice…. our boys do…. but the other team REALLY does

He is a proven playoff leader…. you know every GM wished he was in their lineup come playoff round two

with his sneaky good 2way play in the playoffs…. I feel Zadorov has more in him to develop and give next time(s) around … and I am excited to see what “sercurity in a long term commitment” as a physical piece of our playoff window future does for his willingness to put it all on the line .. for a cup

christ…. we’ve only had him for half a season and no training camp/offseason

I feel he gets better

This is about as no-brainer as it gets

k … my 2cents for tonight… pissed this hasnt got done yet…. should be move #1

If we sign him hoping your right! It does sound like he wants to stay and it’s possible. 

super curious what they’ll agree on if we do sign him 

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

I think $28 Million would be the max cap allocation based on PA and JR history of Cap allocation to defence in teams they've built before.

Our top 6 D-core, as constructed this playoffs was $28.5 million...most teams will carry 7 or 8 d-men so add in another 800-1.1 million per player.

We're already pushing 30 million and everyone wants a raise....except Myers 🙂   

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Hughes - $7,850,000

Pesce - $7,000,000

Zadorov - $5,000,000

Soucy - $3,250,000

Myers - $2,800,000

Juulsen - $775,000

Woo - $775,000

—————————————

Total - $27,450,000

Hughes - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen

Can upgrade the right side #3 defenceman at the trade deadline. Juulsen has been great, maybe he can take another step next season and we don’t need to upgrade.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Mik not being a top 6 option at his salary level really complicates our team build next year.

I think what happens with him will be really telling.

Obviously a buy out would suck especially stacked on the OEL peak years.

Trading him with nothing coming back sounds difficult

Running him with Petey next year is hard to visualize.

Him rebounding and having his best year is not impossible but I dont know. Maybe a hot start to year and flip is though like you say.

Well you obviously can't do that (run him with Pete). 

Mik can play it's not like he's actively hurting you on the ice if he's playing bottom 6 his contract is no bueno.  Maybe run a 4th line of Mik Aman Podkolzin. I feel like our top 3 lines will be very aggressive. A passive 4th might not be a bad thing. I don't think it will be lemon squeezy to just sccot Mik off this offseason. They did find a way to move Beauvillier, Hammonic, Dickinson etc. I think when they find the right deal he will go.   

Youre right though. Their certainly schemeing how to spread out the talent on the wings and D. Not everyone can have the banana many still need the carrot. My guess would be Brock I think there is probably some pressure on Brock right now to sign team friendly or be traded. 6.7m could buy 2 40pt wingers (or close) that might be 55pt wingers next to Pete Miller. Could we move Brock when the dust settles for 2 top 6 wingers or 1 and a D in FA/trade + a 1st or close prospect + Pick? Of course all of this is moot If Brock sign's which I hope he does.

It was so great to see his posture this playoffs. He had swagger back. I had lost hope in him ever finding passion for the game again. 

Moving Garland seems like the wrong play. He's the guy driving the 3rd wave keeping pucks deep. The return wouldn't be huge and the free'd up cap would be sideways at best. 

I was wrong about the OEL buyout though I thought they should have waited a year. Hughes more than covers the spread. Mik buyout is 1.6m x 4 ish with a lump next year.  I felt the team exceeded all my expecttions this year. And more importantly could parlay themselves into a perennial playoff team. I wouldn't be thrilled with another buyout. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

If we sign him hoping your right! It does sound like he wants to stay and it’s possible. 

super curious what they’ll agree on if we do sign him 

I mean if it holds true to earlier reprots. It wasn't amount they were far apart on it was term. Did he earn term?

think so. 

Just now, Hammertime said:

I mean if it holds true to earlier reprots. It wasn't amount they were far apart on it was term. Did he earn term?

think so. 

I’m not too scared of term with him either I’d rather go longer and get his cap hit down 

• Cheers 1