[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

15 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Well you obviously can't do that (run him with Pete). 

Mik can play it's not like he's actively hurting you on the ice if he's playing bottom 6 his contract is no bueno.  Maybe run a 4th line of Mik Aman Podkolzin. I feel like our top 3 lines will be very aggressive. A passive 4th might not be a bad thing. I don't think it will be lemon squeezy to just sccot Mik off this offseason. They did find a way to move Beauvillier, Hammonic, Dickinson etc. I think when they find the right deal he will go.   

Youre right though. Their certainly schemeing how to spread out the talent on the wings and D. Not everyone can have the banana many still need the carrot. My guess would be Brock I think there is probably some pressure on Brock right now to sign team friendly or be traded. 6.7m could buy 2 40pt wingers (or close) that might be 55pt wingers next to Pete Miller. Could we move Brock when the dust settles for 2 top 6 wingers or 1 and a D in FA/trade + a 1st or close prospect + Pick? Of course all of this is moot If Brock sign's which I hope he does.

It was so great to see his posture this playoffs. He had swagger back. I had lost hope in him ever finding passion for the game again. 

Moving Garland seems like the wrong play. He's the guy driving the 3rd wave keeping pucks deep. The return wouldn't be huge and the free'd up cap would be sideways at best. 

I was wrong about the OEL buyout though I thought they should have waited a year. Hughes more than covers the spread. Mik buyout is 1.6m x 4 ish with a lump next year.  I felt the team exceeded all my expecttions this year. And more importantly could parlay themselves into a perennial playoff team. I wouldn't be thrilled with another buyout. 

If the option was buying out mik to resign Joshua and it was the only way it was possible while doing everything else management wanted with the roster and absolutely no one would take his contract would you do it?

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Hughes - $7,850,000

Pesce - $7,000,000

Zadorov - $5,000,000

Soucy - $3,250,000

Myers - $2,800,000

Juulsen - $775,000

Woo - $775,000

—————————————

Total - $27,450,000

Hughes - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen

Can upgrade the right side #3 defenceman at the trade deadline. Juulsen has been great, maybe he can take another step next season and we don’t need to upgrade.

I’m honestly not a Pesce guy at all. I don’t think he’s gonna live up to the contract he signs this summer his offensive side of his game isn’t enough to justify the $ he’s gonna sign imo 

but I could very well be wrong and perhaps he is unreal the next 5-6 years

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

If the option was buying out mik to resign Joshua and it was the only way it was possible while doing everything else management wanted with the roster and absolutely no one would take his contract would you do it?

That would be ballsy.

We'd get cap gut punched in 25/26. But if we get a sniff in the finals next year I'd take my lumps. 

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Hughes - $7,850,000

Pesce - $7,000,000

Zadorov - $5,000,000

Soucy - $3,250,000

Myers - $2,800,000

Juulsen - $775,000

Woo - $775,000

—————————————

Total - $27,450,000

Hughes - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen

Can upgrade the right side #3 defenceman at the trade deadline. Juulsen has been great, maybe he can take another step next season and we don’t need to upgrade.

Pesce is gonna get 6 million max and I think even thats high. My guess is 5.75 on a 6 year deal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I’m honestly not a Pesce guy at all. I don’t think he’s gonna live up to the contract he signs this summer his offensive side of his game isn’t enough to justify the $ he’s gonna sign imo 

but I could very well be wrong and perhaps he is unreal the next 5-6 years

Pesce, Roy, Demelo. I don’t care who it is, I hope Rutherford can make it happen.

45 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Pesce is gonna get 6 million max and I think even thats high. My guess is 5.75 on a 6 year deal 

If that was the case, Carolina would’ve already extended him.

It’s already reported that he wants between 6-7 million and he’s already being projected to get at least 6 million in free agency. In today’s market he gets at least 6 million.

19 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Pesce, Roy, Demelo. I don’t care who it is, I hope Rutherford can make it happen.

Roy would be my preference of all the UFA RHD and only in a world we move Hronek. I can’t imagine us signing Hronek and adding one of the top UFA RHD. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

That would be ballsy.

We'd get cap gut punched in 25/26. But if we get a sniff in the finals next year I'd take my lumps. 

I mean 1 goal in 60 games no confidence and negatively impacting others and not even being a star pker is a cap gut punch in itself 

The cap difference between mik buy out and a Dak contract around $3 million is a wash in the peak years I believe 

but ya it would be ugly and if mik did bounce back have 20 goals and have a big skating burst and be an effective pker on another team it would really suck

15 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

They have a lethal powerplay led by the greatest player of our generation and his lackies. 

It's their overall defensive play that's got them this far.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, R3aL said:

Roy would be my preference of all the UFA RHD and only in a world we move Hronek. I can’t imagine us signing Hronek and adding one of the top UFA RHD. 

Roy probably gets 6 million in free agency. Good defensive defencemen. Could be a great on the team.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's what everyone said about Dallas.

Dallas has to be the most overrated team we’ve seen in the NHL in quite some time. They are literally the 00’s-early ‘10s Sharks, without prime Joe Thornton, and much weaker goaltending. 

you add an actual NHL goalie on Colorado (and maybe keep Nichuskin away from the nose beers), they don’t move on. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Same. He has one good offensive year and otherwise it's a very solid, #2-#3 defensive D. Those guys don't make large bank (Tanev, Larsson etc). They've been making between $4-5m. With the cap rising, yeah, probably somewhere in the $5's.

This $6+ talk is silly IMO. He's not getting that unless he goes to non playoff team IMO.

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Same. He has one good offensive year and otherwise it's a very solid, #2-#3 defensive D. Those guys don't make large bank (Tanev, Larsson etc). They've been making between $4-5m. With the cap rising, yeah, probably somewhere in the $5's.

This $6+ talk is silly IMO. He's not getting that unless he goes to non playoff team IMO.

Agreed, guys that want to get overpaid will do so on non playoff teams, or teams that aren't really contenders or contenders anymore.

All that said, pesce would be an excellent partner for Hughes, imo.  QH doesn't need an offensive dman, he just needs an excellent skater with a good hockey IQ.

12 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I think it could very well piss-off half the fan base if Zadorov isn't back for 24-25. Also; he brings a level of accountability that's hard to find.

I bet Alvin will give it his best shot. 

I'd have to think that they have another offer to make to Z.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully there is some good news rather than a report of fake news. 

Sounded like some news today on Friedman’s podcast. Said the Canucks aren’t far away from but haven’t hit the number that Zadorov wants yet. Also said Zadorov willing to sign a bit less on Canucks than what he would get in free agency.

Zadorov was golfing with Dan Murphy and Miller the other day as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully there is some good news rather than a report of fake news. 

I think it's just Milstein telling Mac to stay in his lane. 

Once PA sorts out the big contracts one way or another (Lindy, Hronek) I think this gets done pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think it's just Milstein telling Mac to stay in his lane. 

Once PA sorts out the big contracts one way or another (Lindy, Hronek) I think this gets done pretty quickly. 

I sounds like Ian was right, especially with the report today that the Canucks offered Lindholm a contract and aren’t far from the number that Zadorov wants.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1