[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

43 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

If they're gonna pay 5m or so to zadorov, that tells me they're going to try to run back the same D minus Cole, Juulsen probably expected to take his place and theyre hoping that foote/gonchar can turn him into a nhl regular #6

and they're gonna put the real $ into upgrading the top6

not the worst strategy. I think they nailed the formula in the way our D was constructed last year, especially after getting Zadorov

And adding another Depth dmen around 1M. This could be how they go about it.

I mean Juulsen is very close to being an every day number 6 dman.

It is not out of the question to think he could take another step next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I posted in the PIT rumour thread about it, but if we moved Mikheyev AND Garland... and we didn't sign Zadorov to a $5M+ deal, but instead found a LHD in the $4.5M range, we could afford Guentzel at $9M along with Lindholm at $7.25M and Hronek at $7.25M.  Would certainly push the offence forward in spades...

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Pettersson

Podkolzin-Suter-UFA (I have Duhaime here at $1.5M)

PDG-Aman-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

UFA-Juulsen

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Agree, if they can secure their defense from last year, it still gives some ammo to improve their top six. Best move in my humble opinion. Wingers are easier to acquire in season than dmen or centers.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I posted in the PIT rumour thread about it, but if we moved Mikheyev AND Garland... and we didn't sign Zadorov to a $5M+ deal, but instead found a LHD in the $4.5M range, we could afford Guentzel at $9M along with Lindholm at $7.25M and Hronek at $7.25M.  Would certainly push the offence forward in spades...

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Pettersson

Podkolzin-Suter-UFA (I have Duhaime here at $1.5M)

PDG-Aman-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

UFA-Juulsen

I just dont think it Is realistic to move both garland and Mikehyev with zero money coming back though.

And I am not sure if Duhaime-Suter-Podkolzin would be a competent 3rd line.

I also am not sure about Lindy-Petey being on the same line. We never got to see it with them both healthy but maybe it would work.

Dillon would be the target dman in your scenario depending on the money remaining and including a depth forward and dman salaries.

Clearly a hugely improved top 6 but the bottom 6 would be a ? for me.

Id love adding JG.

3 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Agree, if they can secure their defense from last year, it still gives some ammo to improve their top six. Best move in my humble opinion. Wingers are easier to acquire in season than dmen or centers.

very true

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I just dont think it Is realistic to move both garland and Mikehyev with zero money coming back though.

And I am not sure if Duhaime-Suter-Podkolzin would be a competent 3rd line.

I also am not sure about Lindy-Petey being on the same line. We never got to see it with them both healthy but maybe it would work.

Dillon would be the target dman in your scenario depending on the money remaining and including a depth forward and dman salaries.

Clearly a hugely improved top 6 but the bottom 6 would be a ? for me.

Id love adding JG.

If Dillon came in at $3M, and we moved Garland for futures just to flip as sweeteners for moving Mikheyev, I think we'd be able to put together a 3rd line of:

Amadio-Suter-Duhaime

I think that'd be a very strong 3rd line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If Dillon came in at $3M, and we moved Garland for futures just to flip as sweeteners for moving Mikheyev, I think we'd be able to put together a 3rd line of:

Amadio-Suter-Duhaime

amadio I like

I think he might be a UFA that gets overpaid this summer.

Just now, R3aL said:

amadio I like

I think he might be a UFA that gets overpaid this summer.

Maybe, but there's always LOTS of solid 3rd line wingers available.  So many that guys like Motte overvalued himself.  If not Amadio, we could probably just bring back Blueger.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Amadio-Suter-Duhaime

Love the idea of using any Garland return to clear off Mik’s cap too. That would be 10 mil. 2 to Z and 2 to DJ and 3 to Lindy? Still leaves 3 + Myers 6 + Coles 3. Lots to bring in Guentzel. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Love the idea of using any Garland return to clear off Mik’s cap too. That would be 10 mil. 2 to Z and 2 to DJ and 3 to Lindy? Still leaves 3 + Myers 6 + Coles 3. Lots to bring in Guentzel. 

It's the only reason I would be ok with moving Garland.  We would use the assets to move Mikheyev, and then use the cap space from both to acquire a really good top 6F.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

One thing that is almost constant in these threads.

"If he chases the money, rather than wanting to win a Cup" type thoughts.

1- how many of us would actually take less to do any job?

2- why can't it be said he's taking more money elsewhere- and still has a shot at the cup?

3- why is it the player's responsibility to take less, and not the managements responsibility for  mistakenly paying other guys too much?

Why should Zads take less, because Alvin paid too much to Mikheyev?

Happens all the time in real life. People make less money to live in some towns, work for an employer they like, a job they like. Happens plenty. Also, there are teams that have close to zero chance at winning a cup in the next five seasons. They do exist. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Happens all the time in real life. People make less money to live in some towns, work for an employer they like, a job they like. Happens plenty. Also, there are teams that have close to zero chance at winning a cup in the next five seasons. They do exist. 

Also happens that people go for the bigger money.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I hope they can reach a deal.

I'm prepared to lose Hronek, to keep Zads; and think he's the most important re-signing this team has to worry about.

This. Never thought I'd say that, but Zads should be a core player moving forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Also happens that people go for the bigger money.

Yup. Depends on the person and circumstances. Miller, for example took a lot less to stay here. His wife and kids came I to his equation for where to live and play. Horfat Walket was the opposite. He was only interested in money. 
Big Z seems more like Miller. His family is important. 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Zadorov has surpassed Hronek as the most important piece of the defense to re-sign. Easily. 

The declared goal of this team is to win the Stanley Cup. Nikita is a type of player that any viable contender would want on their team. 

Zadorov performed at a higher level and got into the minds of the other team more over the two series. He provided everything a team could possibly want of a defenseman of his stature and more, especially when the games got chippier. Usually the Canucks would skate away from “issues” but there was no backing down from anything this time around. A lot of that can be attributed to Z. 

He possesses both verifiable and intangible qualities that make him a core player. He can actually change the way other teams decide to enter the Canucks zone. 

Alvin will sign him soon. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Zadorov has surpassed Hronek as the most important piece of the defense to re-sign. Easily. 

The declared goal of this team is to win the Stanley Cup. Nikita is a type of player that any viable contender would want on their team. 

Zadorov performed at a higher level and got into the minds of the other team more over the two series. He provided everything a team could possibly want of a defenseman of his stature and more, especially when the games got chippier. Usually the Canucks would skate away from “issues” but there was no backing down from anything this time around. A lot of that can be attributed to Z. 

He possesses both verifiable and intangible qualities that make him a core player. He can actually change the way other teams decide to enter the Canucks zone. 

Alvin will sign him soon. 

Big Z and Lindy signings announced same day and soon? Next week would be nice. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Depends on the person and circumstances. Miller, for example took a lot less to stay here. His wife and kids came I to his equation for where to live and play. Horfat Walket was the opposite. He was only interested in money. 

perhaps- or perhaps he looks at the extra money and decides that extra will give the family a 'better life' elsewhere.

I hope he stays, but will never razz him for his decision, on what he/his family feel is best for them.

Family first- employer next.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Somebody will throw stupid money at him, that doesn't mean it's right to throw a shade under stupid money at him.

As far as not caring what he makes? It's been 19 years since the NHL implemented a salary cap, try yo keep up.

I think you are the one that needs to keep up.  Did you forget that the cap is going UP next season?  And that it is projected to KEEP going up for several years afterwards?  

You do understand that salaries are a percentage of the cap, right?  So $5 million this year is the equivalent of $4 million 4 years ago.  And if a player signs a long term deal they want to make sure their contract is at least relevant for a year or two.  

You chirped all year long that Zadorov is a #6 Dman.  You were proven wrong in the playoffs.  If he was a legit #6 then Allvin wouldn't even be offering him $4.5x4.  So Allvin thinks you are wrong too.  Zadorov at his best is easily a top 4 Dman with size who can skate with the best of them.  He also has the intimidation factor which is worth at least $1 million more on his contract.  

If a guy like Graves can get $4.5x6 on the open market, Zadorov should get minimum $5.5 million.  Graves was literally shit this year, and Pittsburgh even said he will be on the 3rd pairing next season if they can't trade him without retention...

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zadorov's wife's favourite city is Vancouver.  She is here now.  There is no reason for her to leave over $500k per year.  The extra money is meaningless to her.  Playing in a safe city that you love where you are rich regardless is more important than the extra $500k.  Zadorov's wife has seen some of the dump cities in the NHL.  I am sure she does not want to leave Vancouver now that she is here...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They were two of the best in the playoffs. 

Alf forcing care about term for these two. So extend the term to 8 years for both to lower the yearly cap cost. 
Big Z 5.75 x 8

Lindy 7.75 x 8

Woild there be teams that would allocate 6.5 yearly to Z and almost 9 yearly to Lindy? That’s what clubs would need to do that can only go 7 years. 

Edited by Alflives

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I have...

We all heard big Z say his wife and kids love it here. So yes we’ve all heard what she wants. Didn’t she even say something recently about her last day here? It must be very hard for her while this whole negotiation goes on knowing her and her little girls are so close to staying in this great city (safe and happy) for the next 6 or more years. And then she gets to make here their permanent home. 

• Cheers 1