[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We all heard big Z say his wife and kids love it here. So yes we’ve all heard what she wants. Didn’t she even say something recently about her last day here? It must be very hard for her while this whole negotiation goes on knowing her and her little girls are so close to staying in this great city (safe and happy) for the next 6 or more years. And then she gets to make here their permanent home. 

I believe the Lindholms posted on social media regarding their last day in Vancouver.

Just have to wait and see. I can't imagine Zadorov goes to Free Agency and I can see a 5+ year term at between $ 4.75m - $ 5.25m deal getting done.

All this stuff we are reading and reacting to is just conjecture by media types or agents.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You chirped all year long that Zadorov is a #6 Dman. 

Hughes 24:41

Hronek 23:26

Myers 18:57

Cole 18:41

Soucy 17:29

Zadorov 17:04

Guess you should have listened to me all year long.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Now do the playoffs where the games really matter...

Exactly. We need guys to get us to the playoffs. We need guys who are great in the playoffs. And we need guys who are both. 

• ThereItIs 3

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf forcing care about term for these two. So extend the term to 8 years for both to lower the yearly cap cost. 
Big Z 5.75 x 8

Lindy 7.75 x 8

Woild there be teams that would allocate 6.5 yearly to Z and almost 9 yearly to Lindy? That’s what clubs would need to do that can only go 7 years. 

Alf those are Benning numbers of the past. We no longer have that moron running our team

The Bald twins know how important these guys are but only at THEIR price

Zad 4.5 x 6 years

Lindy 6.8 x 8 years

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Now do the playoffs where the games really matter...

59 games 18:13 TOI. He definitely ups his game in the playoffs. Question is... Why can't he just give 100% all the time?

Edited by Coryberg

4 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

59 games 18:13 TOI. He definitely ups his game in the playoffs. Question is... Why can't he just give 100% all the time?

13 playoff games this year. 20:09 TOI. That’s the Zadorov who’s a top 4 D and worth $5 million+. 

Why can’t he give 100% all the time?  I think he hasn’t been given the opportunity quite frankly. Look at Jamie Oleksiak.  He was a 3rd pairing guy his entire career until he went to Seattle at 29. Now he’s a top 4 guy. Zadorov will be the same. He even has more skill than Oleksiak. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Hughes 24:41

Hronek 23:26

Myers 18:57

Cole 18:41

Soucy 17:29

Zadorov 17:04

Guess you should have listened to me all year long.

Those number will change drastically without Cole though, Zadorovs numbers will obviously will be higher without Cole on the team, but I don't think many have doubts he can't handle it. We had a loaded Left side so it's kinda a moot point. Hughes is obviously gonna play 20+ the other two sub 19.. not like there's much difference in them 1:40 almost? That's not much. I could see your point if he was playing -15 mins or something like that. But point being Cole was given the 2nd spot and he crumbles the last couple months, and in the Playoffs. I don't think Zadorov would, he seemed to excel with more Ice time in the playoffs and was out during big moments end game against Nash. Plus he's a bloody beast! He's the best tough defensemen in the league, who doesn't want that? He's a damn good teammate too. 

#1 priority imo 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

13 playoff games this year. 20:09 TOI. That’s the Zadorov who’s a top 4 D and worth $5 million+. 

Why can’t he give 100% all the time?  I think he hasn’t been given the opportunity quite frankly. Look at Jamie Oleksiak.  He was a 3rd pairing guy his entire career until he went to Seattle at 29. Now he’s a top 4 guy. Zadorov will be the same. He even has more skill than Oleksiak. 

On of the toughest D in the game, best hitters, and actually a great defensemen too. Lock him up! Very steady last year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

But point being Cole was given the 2nd spot and he crumbles the last couple months, and in the Playoffs.

Cole actually had a great first round against Nashville. We only allowed 2 short handed goals and Cole lead all skaters in PK time by 6 minutes. He had a couple bad bounces in game 1 of the oilers series and then was cut for 10 stitches on the ankle. The fact he was still trusted by the staff over juulsen despite playing on one leg is pretty telling.

As for your point that zadorov had less minutes because Cole was ahead of him you have to remember that Cole was a 3 million dollar player.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Giving him a big money, long term contract based on 13 games is called recency bias and it's not a wise way to conduct business, imo. 

You have to look at the totality of this contract and the totality of his year in Van because that's most likely where he's going to perform at.

I very much like Zad and I really hope they can work something out, but if he's chasing the money, then let him go

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Cole actually had a great first round against Nashville. We only allowed 2 short handed goals and Cole lead all skaters in PK time by 6 minutes. He had a couple bad bounces in game 1 of the oilers series and then was cut for 10 stitches on the ankle. The fact he was still trusted by the staff over juulsen despite playing on one leg is pretty telling.

As for your point that zadorov had less minutes because Cole was ahead of him you have to remember that Cole was a 3 million dollar player.

Yeah I mean it was his spot from the get go, and he did play 9/10 most of the year but he faltered during the last 15-20 games we were all seeing some fatigue. I think Z can lock down that spot though! Z and Myers were out during some big moments end game* during the playoffs too. It does worry me they don't see Juulsen as a regular D unless injuries happen. Maybe they go get a RD around coles cap? Use Myers cut to pay Z and return with 

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Myers 

Soucy ____ 3M guy RD ?

Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Well. 

he was the only addition to our D core in the year and he had to adjust to our system

dmen have a lot more to learn and adjust to when being traded usually theres a transition period.

also, big dmen like him can’t play 100% physical all the time in the regular season or they’d be in the box a whole lot

theres also some players who are better suited for the regular season and some that are better suited for the playoffs

look at Sam Bennett guys a demon in the playoffs and a 40 pt regular season guy.

Big Z has some unicorn traits:

1. His size

2. his skating ability and at his size make it even more impressive

3. his shot, he has had scoring success 

4. his personality 

5. he thrives in high pressure Canadian market playoff environments 

as much as I am of the kind we should try to replace him with Dillon if we can’t resign him I also don’t want to overpay Big Z at his market rate.

im comfortable upping the term to keep his cap hit in the Canucks target range to still improve our team for next year 

I like big z and would love to see him back next season

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, stawns said:

Giving him a big money, long term contract based on 13 games is called recency bias and it's not a wise way to conduct business, imo. 

You have to look at the totality of this contract and the totality of his year in Van because that's most likely where he's going to perform at.

I very much like Zad and I really hope they can work something out, but if he's chasing the money, then let him go

Thank you,

We all like how he performed in the Playoffs. But over his career WITH opportunities to play bigger roles and having played in the Playoffs as well he always slides back to a bottom pair dman. His ATOI and roles show this as factual.

I think Vancouver had a luxury with Zadorov, Soucy, Myers, and Cole as a bottom four that interchanged 2nd and 3rd pair minutes. The 4/5 dman in Zadorov if you will.

I am all for extending him and a longer term for security but if he is anywhere near $6m ? $ 5.5m per.....you will have done Tyler Myers all over again. We should be smarter than that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/19/2024 at 1:35 PM, fuzzy said:

The cap is based on league revenue from the previous year. Arizona was a huge financial drain on the league. They couldn't fill a 4500 seat college arena and attendance is still a major driver of league revenue. Other factors such as merchandising, corporate spononships, and major buzz in a new market will also have a positive impact.

It will be interesting to see Bettman's state of the NHL press conference during the finals. The anticipated cap increase was released well before the Coyote's relocation was announced. I wouldn't be surprised if the cap increases even more next year.

The NHL and NHLPA announced an $88-million salary cap for the 2024-25 season Saturday.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

The NHL and NHLPA announced an $88-million salary cap for the 2024-25 season Saturday.

isn’t that aprx 5 m more than last year ?

it all helps 🙂 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Alf those are Benning numbers of the past. We no longer have that moron running our team

The Bald twins know how important these guys are but only at THEIR price

Zad 4.5 x 6 years

Lindy 6.8 x 8 years

I don’t think Zad will be sign for 4.5 over 6. I think it’s probably be going to be closer to 5M over 7. 

To be honest, I really like Zadorav. But we need to be realistic. We need to weigh the pros and cons. The pros are obvious: big, physical, adds some snarl. The cons? He definitely has a few. Being a bigger guy I noticed a few times he got “gassed” and was just floating around skating from one position to the other. When he’s fresh and ready to go, he’s a train. But sometimes that train slows down which is natural. I think if he could retain the size and improve his stamina/endurance then we have a monster on our hands…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Well. 

he was the only addition to our D core in the year and he had to adjust to our system

dmen have a lot more to learn and adjust to when being traded usually theres a transition period.

also, big dmen like him can’t play 100% physical all the time in the regular season or they’d be in the box a whole lot

theres also some players who are better suited for the regular season and some that are better suited for the playoffs

look at Sam Bennett guys a demon in the playoffs and a 40 pt regular season guy.

Big Z has some unicorn traits:

1. His size

2. his skating ability and at his size make it even more impressive

3. his shot, he has had scoring success 

4. his personality 

5. he thrives in high pressure Canadian market playoff environments 

as much as I am of the kind we should try to replace him with Dillon if we can’t resign him I also don’t want to overpay Big Z at his market rate.

im comfortable upping the term to keep his cap hit in the Canucks target range to still improve our team for next year 

I like big z and would love to see him back next season

Great post. One thing to add to your list of unicorn traits:

6. His use of physicality on the ice to effectively stick up for his teammates and intimidate opposing players.

This trait doesn't seem necessitated by his size, or by any combination of traits 1-5. Lots of examples of big / fast defensemen who don't possess 6.  

But, in my view, 6 is what makes him particularly valuable, especially on our team.

It makes players like Kane think twice about targeting someone like Hughes, or at least know that their deeds won't go unpunished.

It makes skilled players on the other team think twice when carrying or chasing the puck into our zone.

The only thing going against Z is that he's not a natural righty. If he were, then he'd be absolute lock.

But even as a lefty, he'd be my top priority to resign among the team's crop of ufas. 

I think Lindy's and Joshua's core traits, while also valuable, would be easier to replace -  in the aggregate - using other cheaper pieces.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1