[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

24 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Here's an outlook of a cap if cap goes up 3.25% annually which is reasonable

Start  Of  
2024  $        88.0
2025  $        90.9
2026  $        93.8
2027  $        96.9
2028  $     100.0
2029  $     103.3
2030  $     106.6
2031  $     110.1
2032  $     113.7

You know whats sad…. The salary cap was supposed to be $84-88mil in 2020-21…. We took our lumps early on in COVID and lost some quality players/trade chips… but teams like Edmonton who signed monster deals right before COVID are about to get absolutely fist fucked seven ways to sunday.

Edmonton needs to retool tomorrow. They need to move Draisaitl or McDavid and start over fast. My guess is it will be Draisaitl getting shipped if anything

16 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I hope they will get a deal done. Z brings so much more than just numbers and ice time.  The size, swagger, and intimidation factor he brings plus it sounds like he is well liked and jokes around the room to help de-stress the locker room. 

Got a good feeling about this. I think Myers will get done soon after this.  Hronk...no idea. 

He is exactly the type of player we need physically, mentally, and culturally. We've been hearing for years that we need to be harder to play against. Well, that player is here now. Get moving and get him signed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Then you see this:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-unlikely-zadorov-free-agency

Essentially, Friedman saying Zadorov is now unlikely to sign with us. Not sure who to believe at the moment

Friedman was good in the past.. but honestly he kinda sucks now and has for awhile. He constantly throws out his "feelings" about things as if its reporting. Or he claims people have told him.. but when you dig in those 'people' are often just other reporters not people from the franchise. He just is not reliable anymore and is often just a click bait 

30 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Good analysis but, i think if the cap in 8 years is only $105M than the NHL won't be doing to well.

I'd expect the cap in 8 years to be in the $112-120 range which is an average of $3m-4m annual increases or 3.25-4% annual increase which is in line with historical percentage increases pre-covid.

if cap is 112 in 8 years than that 5/year contract would be 4.4% of cap which is equivalant of 3.92m of a 88m cap.

I agree 100%. We have an advantage being able to offer the extra year. If he's identified as a player that you want to keep and then offer max term and  make it happen.

3 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

While l don't want BigZ going anywhere. My fear is that he may end up in Laffs land.

That hurts in more ways than I thought. 

Thats some sort of disorder: happy thoughts 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He is exactly the type of player we need physically, mentally, and culturally. We've been hearing for years that we need to be harder to play against. Well, that player is here now. Get moving and get him signed.

Very succinctly put. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, rmok said:

Friedman was good in the past.. but honestly he kinda sucks now and has for awhile. He constantly throws out his "feelings" about things as if its reporting. Or he claims people have told him.. but when you dig in those 'people' are often just other reporters not people from the franchise. He just is not reliable anymore and is often just a click bait 

Both agents and teams will use the media to help negotiate or affect fan opinion.   

16 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

While l don't want BigZ going anywhere. My fear is that he may end up in Laffs land.

Rest assured…. They cant afford him. Their cap situation is a fuckin mess

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I have a hunch they’ve already agreed to money and term,

I think management is hoping to have a day where they announce 3-4 players we are retaining and a full presser on a single day rather than have 4 or 5 separate signings over 4-5 days .

Why?

Who would like being interviewed by our journalists over an extended month ! Lol 

I wouldn’t doubt if JR or Allvin told Gold Star Milstein to quench the rumours and speculation that drives these idiots, when he slammed Macintyre with the “Fake News”  quip about Zadorov’s negotiations lol

Quite the hunch 😆 

• MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, Mac said:

No one is giving Zads 6m per lmao.

You'd be surprised.  A 20+ point defenceman with his skating ability, size, grit, and swagger will come at a hefty price. 

Gavrikov is a good comparable.  Less size, but offensive production is similar.  He got $5.875M.

Pelech is another.  $5.75M.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Better Toronto than LA or Vegas, where he can run Petey and Millsy through the boards on a weekly basis....

With so many FAs due a raise and not enough cap to bring them all back, I'd be surprised if the front office isn't doing some Lamoriello-style information control over what they may already have agreed to with some players.  Any move has implications for all the others, so Allvin should want to let that unfold to his advantage. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You'd be surprised.  A 20+ point defenceman with his skating ability, size, grit, and swagger will come at a hefty price. 

Gavrikov is a good comparable.  Less size, but offensive production is similar.  He got $5.875M.

Pelech is another.  $5.75M.

I think the domino is Hronek

if they sign him long-term than it'll be hard to justify to have Hronek in ~7.5m range and Zadorov in the ~$5.5m long term with Hughes extension looming which will probably be $12m+

if Hronek signs a 1 year contract and/or is traded than it makes sense for Canucks to commit to Zadorov long-term as Hughes/Zadorov would be your 2 long-term commitments with the hope that Willander and D-Petey will join the team on ELC's and less expensive RFA deals that will overlap during Zadorov's contract.

But, i don't think we can have 25m+ committed to Hughes/Hronek/Zadorov long term. 

One thing to bear in mind boys and girls....if the alleged "final offer" is not accepted, it doesn't necessarily signal the end....

It's entirely possible that Z's camp will want to see if someone out there is willing to give him stupid money. If that doesn't happen, (or if the offers are only slightly better) they can always circle back....assuming the Canucks haven't already found a replacement....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Quite the hunch 😆 

only thing I can compare is Horvat not willing to bend to sign ,

and JT wanting to stay.

I think that IS at issue here.

Zadorov is a really good hockey player, who we need, AND he wants to stay.

Others arent so open or vocal going into UFA negotiation. 

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

My gut tells me that the Canucks are working within a cap structure that will allow them to chase Guentzel, and probably (& hopefully) to leave the amount that's necessary to get Boeser re-signed before next July. 

yes,

they will go balls out to get Guentzel

Dillon is the back up plan if they do not sign Z

They want to sign Hronek, bluegger, Myers, Duhaime

Guentzel 9.5

Zads 4.75

Hronek 7.75

Bluegger 1.75

Duhaime 1.2x2

Myers 2.75

Silovs 1

= 29 

per cap friendly we have 26.7 so we need 2.3 in space to do this which I think does not make us definitively a contender

I would move Podz + PDG ( I do not really like him) +milky to CHI for 2024 2nd and 3rd

= +6.6 in cap space-2.3

= 4.3  in space

- sign Brett Murray .750 x 2 yrs

- Duclair 3.55 x 5 yrs

JG Petey Hogz

Duclair Miller Brock

Suter Bluegger Garland

Murray Aman Duhaime

Hughes Hronek

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen

3 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I think the domino is Hronek

if they sign him long-term than it'll be hard to justify to have Hronek in ~7.5m range and Zadorov in the ~$5.5m long term with Hughes extension looming which will probably be $12m+

if Hronek signs a 1 year contract and/or is traded than it makes sense for Canucks to commit to Zadorov long-term as Hughes/Zadorov would be your 2 long-term commitments with the hope that Willander and D-Petey will join the team on ELC's and less expensive RFA deals that will overlap during Zadorov's contract.

But, i don't think we can have 25m+ committed to Hughes/Hronek/Zadorov long term. 

I don't think we can look at the cost for our 3 most expensive defencemen 4 years from now.  As you've indicated, the upper cap might be $97M to $100M by then.

$25M of a $100M upper limit would be the equivalent of $22M today.  Would be like having 3 defencemen making $9M, $7.5M, and $5.5M this coming year.  Not that unreasonable.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You know whats sad…. The salary cap was supposed to be $84-88mil in 2020-21…. We took our lumps early on in COVID and lost some quality players/trade chips… but teams like Edmonton who signed monster deals right before COVID are about to get absolutely fist fucked seven ways to sunday.

Edmonton needs to retool tomorrow. They need to move Draisaitl or McDavid and start over fast. My guess is it will be Draisaitl getting shipped if anything

Agreed. No matter how valuable they are, McDavid will demand at least $15,000,000 (16% of projected cap of 92m for next season) and Draisaitl probably around $13,000,000 (14% of cap). But chances are those figures will be even higher for McDavid

that's $28,000,000+ on two players and when you add in Nurse's albatross of a contract, and Hyman's and RHN's long-term contracts that will be $45,000,000+ on (4) Top 6 Forwards and a #4 D-man

even if cap keeps on going up they'll need a shrewed GM to fill out their roster.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think we can look at the cost for our 3 most expensive defencemen 4 years from now.  As you've indicated, the upper cap might be $97M to $100M by then.

$25M of a $100M upper limit would be the equivalent of $22M today.  Would be like having 3 defencemen making $9M, $7.5M, and $5.5M this coming year.  Not that unreasonable.

that's fair

i take that back

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

My gut tells me that the Canucks are working within a cap structure that will allow them to chase Guentzel, and probably (& hopefully) to leave the amount that's necessary to get Boeser re-signed before next July. 

I hope they are also going to talk with Patrick Laine .

I trust Tocchet would and could get him back on track in short order.

Guentzel , Laine, Lindholm , and Zadorov 

over Hroneck , Joshua , Myers and others