[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I hope they are also going to talk with Patrick Laine .

I trust Tocchet would and could get him back on track in short order.

Guentzel , Laine, Lindholm , and Zadorov 

over Hroneck , Joshua , Myers and others

I’m a bit wary of Laine. Immense talent but has shown some issues motivational and otherwise. He is the NHL players assistance program so perhaps impacting the motivation issues but there’s still risk there.

on top of that he’s proven to be quite brittle / injury prone. So at 8 mil its a big bet 

he’s a high beta bet, and not sure I would do it. But as you said, if he can get back to his Winnipeg days it’s a game changer for sure. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Thank you,

I cringe hearing he's a legit top four defenseman. We all liked his Playoffs and what he brings to the team but Zadorov is a career second pair / bottom pair tweener. The roles he has been placed in by coaches and his ATOI factual confirm this.

If he returns he will likely fit:

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen ( until upgrade signed )

This is another reason why the team can't fork out north of 5 million per. This market just finished half a decade screaming about Myers contract lol.

prepare to cringe ..

Cringe Hangover GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

To add to my last post,.

I think there are good / friendly deals to be made by acquiring Guentzel and Laine .

what i really like about Laine is that he only has 2-years left on his contract

this gives the Canucks flexibility as the only key player that his contract may impede with is Boeser but Laine's contract would run out before any other key member is up for RFA/UFA

If the canucks can shed Mikheyev in the transaction than might be a deal to be had here. 

you'll be able to count on Laine for a 30 G / 82 GP pace whereas Mikheyev has been negative value

But, Laine could also make a lot of sense for Chicago or Utah

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

only thing I can compare is Horvat not willing to bend to sign ,

and JT wanting to stay.

I think that IS at issue here.

Zadorov is a really good hockey player, who we need, AND he wants to stay.

Others arent so open or vocal going into UFA negotiation. 

With Z, it certainly could be a little brinskmanship, trying to squeeze out whatever they can until the end when he signs (possibly Hronek, too, as his agent has been vocal about wanting to stay). Lindholm, tho, I think is as good as gone.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I’m a bit wary of Laine. Immense talent but has shown some issues motivational and otherwise. He is the NHL players assistance program so perhaps impacting the motivation issues but there’s still risk there.

on top of that he’s proven to be quite brittle / injury prone. So at 8 mil its a big bet 

he’s a high beta bet, and not sure I would do it. But as you said, if he can get back to his Winnipeg days it’s a game changer for sure. 

im sure there would be sufficient cap retention to help with the risk.

do we know for sure the reason for his absence?

I heard it was the death of his father.

We know what Brock has been through, and rises above to.

Laine is young enough to bounce and find himself again..

I would also suggest that the West Coast would be a better environment geographically,  than what this young man has experienced elsewhere in Winnipeg or Columbus .

Bring on the JT Fishing Derby !

reeling yes please GIF by Nootka Marine Adventures

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Some posters talking about 5.7 million???

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

Some posters talking about 8 year deals???

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

I think this years free agency is gonna be a feeding frenzy that you see stupid money being thrown around and I think agents are playing off that.

This is why we need our management to be disciplined. If you can’t get Zadorov for around 5 or less then move onto your next target.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think this years free agency is gonna be a feeding frenzy that you see stupid money being thrown around and I think agents are playing off that.

This is why we need our management to be disciplined. If you can’t get Zadorov for around 5 or less then move onto your next target.

A lot of teams are “close” - that will lead to UFA insanity. Too many teams chasing too few quality players (not a great UFA class), so the few good ones are going to be big beneficiaries of it. 

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

A lot of teams are “close” - that will lead to UFA insanity. Too many teams chasing too few quality players (not a great UFA class), so the few good ones are going to be big beneficiaries of it. 

There’s also a team like Chicago with a ridiculous amount of cap that have no problem overpaying in order to surround Bedard with good players.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

To add to my last post,.

I think there are good / friendly deals to be made by acquiring Guentzel and Laine .

Probably a controversial take, but I'd take Laine with retainment over Guentzel with the big term/dollars he'll command. 

Not only is Laine younger, but you get roughly two seasons out of him to decide whether you want to keep him or not. 

Obviously Guentzel's been the higher tier player in recent years, but I like the walk away option of Laine. If he works out, he could be extended, if not.. it's a low commitment move. 

Mikheyev+ for Laine with 2M retained could be very interesting imo. Laine at 6.7M is a lot more interesting than Laine at 8.7M.

Plus, I think there's a good chance a team like Chicago opens the vault for Guentzel, put him with Bedard and watch some magic happen. As of right now Chicago's got nearly 33M in cap space, and while they need to fill out their roster there aren't any must sign caliber pending UFA's. A team like Chicago could happily overpay Guentzel and not care a whole lot about the latter years. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s also a team like Chicago with a ridiculous amount of cap that have no problem overpaying in order to surround Bedard with good players.

The only hope we have is there are players who want a good bag of money and a chance to win, over just the biggest bag of money.

Tbh I don’t want players here who could care less about winning and money only. I appreciate they have to maximize their value but when you’re making 10’s of millions like many of the top players will, is giving up a couple a big deal to potentially win a cup vs being on a team that might not make the playoffs for most of the rest of your career? 

if they only want the money and don’t care to compete, wrong attitude for the Canucks. 

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Probably a controversial take, but I'd take Laine with retainment over Guentzel with the big term/dollars he'll command. 

Not only is Laine younger, but you get roughly two seasons out of him to decide whether you want to keep him or not. 

Obviously Guentzel's been the higher tier player in recent years, but I like the walk away option of Laine. If he works out, he could be extended, if not.. it's a low commitment move. 

Mikheyev+ for Laine with 2M retained could be very interesting imo. Laine at 6.7M is a lot more interesting than Laine at 8.7M.

Plus, I think there's a good chance a team like Chicago opens the vault for Guentzel, put him with Bedard and watch some magic happen. As of right now Chicago's got 32M in cap space, and while they need to fill out their roster there aren't any must sign caliber pending UFA's. A team like Chicago could happily overpay Guentzel and not care a whole lot about the latter years. 

With retention it changes the dynamic for sure. You also only have 2 years of risk as he’s up as a UFA in 2. So if it goes bad you aren’t stuck for 5 more years. 

there’s def an argument to be made if there’s retention 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

With retention it changes the dynamic for sure. You also only have 2 years of risk as he’s up as a UFA in 2. So if it goes bad you aren’t stuck for 5 more years. 

In CBJ's case I think there almost has to be retention to move him, he's a good bounce back candidate but he also isn't worth 8.7M at present. Mikheyev has the same term but Mikheyev+ for Laine frees up some cap space even when you factor in retainment. 

Anaheim is also another team that could happily overpay Guentzel, they've got Vatrano to re-up and Zegras may be on his way out; they've got just over 33M in cap space. Anaheim's GM recently said he wants a top six forward that can help take the offensive load away from the young guys, Guentzel fits that to a tee. Sure, Anaheim ain't competitive right now but big dollars and Cali living could be compelling. It's certainly more appealing than living in Chicago. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Final offer being sent this weekend.

I think it will be a fair one, but it's up to Big Z.

I think it will be in the 5xx5 range, with a bonus heavy structure.  If that doesn't work, I think Allvin is wise to walk away.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Laine for Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Pick.  Pick would be the big debate.  Laine is good, but has missed half the games over the past 3 years.

I heard a number of folks worried about committing to much to Z to play in the 3rd pairing, but as much as i like Soucy, he's only signed for a couple more years and could be easy to move if needed next year.

I just see Z blooming into a very solid top 4 and so would love to have him locked up long term.  

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I heard a number of folks worried about committing to much to Z to play in the 3rd pairing, but as much as i like Soucey, he's only signed for a couple more years and could be easy to move if needed next year.

I just see Z blooming into a very solid top 4 and so would love to have him locked up long term.  

He (Z) played top 3 minutes in the playoffs 

you pay for that 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I think it will be in the 5xx5 range, with a bonus heavy structure.  If that doesn't work, I think Allvin is wise to walk away.

Not allowed to have bonuses

Big Z with a solid rock built 6ft 7inch frame and weighing in over 240lbs can skate, he can play, he can hit, he can fight, and he can score!!!!!! 

When he is skating hard and fast it's pretty hard to stop him!! What are we waiting for lol!!! Sign him!!! 

• Like 1

Let's get Zadorov locked in and our LD are solidified for next season. Will be interesting to see how the RD shape up though with the uncertainty around Hronek, and Myers getting a deal worked out. For now though, let's lock Zadorov up 💯

• Like 1