[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

JG 9

Chandler 5.5x6

Bluegger 1.75x4

Tanev 4.25x 3

Myers 2.75

Zads 5

Silovs 1

Duhaime 1.25x4

Brett Murray .750 x2

OUR CAP 26.7 + 4.75 = 31.45

Cap space = .2

To CHI

Milky + Klimovich + woo

To VAN 

2024 3rd

JG Petey Brock

Chandler Miller Hogz

Suter Bluegger Garland

Podz Aman Duhaime

Murray

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen

That is a very tough lineup

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

JG 9

Chandler 5.5x6

Bluegger 1.75x4

Tanev 4.25x 3

Myers 2.75

Zads 5

Silovs 1

Duhaime 1.25x4

Brett Murray .750 x2

OUR CAP 26.7 + 4.75 = 31.45

Cap space = .2

To CHI

Milky + Klimovich + woo

To VAN 

2024 3rd

JG Petey Brock

Chandler Miller Hogz

Suter Bluegger Garland

Podz Aman Duhaime

Murray

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen

That is a very tough lineup

Not sure we get all those guys for those prices but a good squad for sure 

chicago trade idea is a good one to open space with enough sweeteners that aren’t a huge loss to move the salary. I think it may be possible to move Mik for less than that though , he still has value and is well regarded around the league. 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Both agents and teams will use the media to help negotiate or affect fan opinion.   

Sure.. but that isn't really my point. My point is that Friedman has just become a bullshiter putting things out there that are neither from teams nor agents. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rmok said:

Sure.. but that isn't really my point. My point is that Friedman has just become a bullshiter putting things out there that are neither from teams nor agents. 

i still think Friedman is right about a lot of things and he is one of the firsts in the league to announce breakings news.

the guys' connect, more connected than almost anyone

i think he uses the words "i think" as a way to protect his sources

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

i still think Friedman is right about a lot of things and he is one of the firsts in the league to announce breakings news.

He is better than most but I don’t think he realizes he’s being used by both sides at times.

the Canucks are very tight lipped on what they’re doing. History has shown with the new management team, the media truly has no clue as to what’s really going on. 

when it comes to the Canucks I don’t really trust much the media says for that reason. 

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Credit to him for developing a following but I think the reason he breaks so much news is because he’s the easiest way for teams and agents to spread information. More followers equals more exposure.

I don’t picture him working the phone like a lot of the other so called insiders.

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

He is better than most but I don’t think he realizes he’s being used by both sides at times.

the Canucks are very tight lipped on what they’re doing. History has shown with the new management team, the media truly has no clue as to what’s really going on. 

when it comes to the Canucks I don’t really trust much the media says for that reason. 

He was pretty consistent on calling Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks though pretty early on in the process

And while most thought Bear coming back to the Canucks was a lock, he was one of the first to say pump the brakes

Just now, bh90 said:

He was pretty consistent on calling Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks though pretty early on in the process

And while most thought Bear coming back to the Canucks was a lock, he was one of the first to say pump the brakes

I think Lindholm was an easy one. Lindy turned down a big payday from Calgary. He is redundant here so won’t get top dollar vs a team like Boston who is desperate for a 2c. 

On Zads, I don’t think he’s gone just yet and 650 said today hold your horses on him leaving, so…

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Credit to him for developing a following but I think the reason he breaks so much news is because he’s the easiest way for teams and agents to spread information. More followers equals more exposure.

I don’t picture him working the phone like a lot of the other so called insiders.

i agree he probably does more of receiving information than actually grinding for information. But, that seems natural in any profession, you grind at the start than you make your way up.

I would still trust his opinion/sources a lot more than most "insiders". David Pognotta would be the other guy that seems to be on it.

• Like 1

Sooo… from what I can piece together, we’re “out” on:

Lindholm, Joshua, Cole and trying to move Mikheyev

”in” on:

Guentzel, Myers, Zadorov, Duhaime 

Wild card but we probably keep him:

Hronek

Unknown:

Bleuger

I wonder how much of the buzz is true? So far the rumours align with pretty much how I’d play it, except I’d love to keep Bleuger unless he’s asking more than 2.5 x 2. 

I hope it’s true that we’re aiming for some high end skill to elevate Petey and using the rest of our money on the back end, size, physicality. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

I think Lindholm was an easy one. Lindy turned down a big payday from Calgary. He is redundant here so won’t get top dollar vs a team like Boston who is desperate for a 2c. 

On Zads, I don’t think he’s gone just yet and 650 said today hold your horses on him leaving, so…

i mean during the season before the Canucks traded for them. not now

10 minutes ago, bh90 said:

i agree he probably does more of receiving information than actually grinding for information. But, that seems natural in any profession, you grind at the start than you make your way up.

I would still trust his opinion/sources a lot more than most "insiders". David Pognotta would be the other guy that seems to be on it.

True but at the same time I would question what the motivation of the source is in giving him certain information.

When he says that Zadorov is gonna walk for instance, is that the agent using the media to scare management? Hard to tell a lot of the times.

Edited by DeNiro

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

True but at the same time I would question what the motivation of the source is in giving him certain information.

When he says that Zadorov is gonna walk for instance, is that the agent using the media to scare management? Hard to tell a lot of the times.

I think it can often be the case yes. I

If say Zads wants to stay, Nucks offer him 4.5 and they know they can get 5.5 as a UFA, you tell the media it’s done. Hopefully, then the Canucks come up a bit right before he goes to UFA….basically squeeze a bit more out and get to Stay. 

all gaming and leverage. I think Zads really likes it here but his agent has his job to do as well.

Edited by ArmchairGM22

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'm calling 33 mil over 7 years 

650 guys were talking about 30 being the number for the Canucks and Zad looking for 6x6 = 36 on the market. 

I’m hoping 5 mil x 6 years works but, yeah, that 4.75 x 7 could almost look better for both parties.

• ThereItIs 1

This deal will be similar to the Miller deal.  Canucks had to get to $8 million to sign Miller and they did.  IMO, the magic number is $5 million.  If the Canucks can hit $5 million, then Big Z will be a Canuck.  In terms of the term, I would say they need to get to 6 years as well, so a $30 million deal.  The term is probably more important than the $5 million, so maybe a deal can get done at $4.75x6.  I doubt Zadorov walks over $250k per year.  

• Like 3

Going out on a limb here. As l see many possibilities,  BigZ is  priority.

Hronek and Lindholm have priced themselves out of here. 

More than enough cap to alot BigZ the ability to sign a retirement agreement. 

• Like 1

West Notes: Zadorov, O’Connor, Jets

June 14th, 2024 at 9:00pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Defenseman Nikita Zadorov is one of several notable pending unrestricted free agents in Vancouver.  It appears that they’re going to make one last push to try to sign him as CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal reports (Twitter link) the Canucks are preparing to tender the blueliner a final offer soon.  Vancouver acquired the 29-year-old back in November and while he didn’t light it up following the move (14 points in 54 games), Zadorov had a big showing in the playoffs that has certainly bolstered his value.  He picked up four goals and four assists in 13 games while averaging nearly four and a half hits per game in just over 20 minutes a night. 

Dhaliwal adds that some think he could get six years at $6MM per season if he gets to the open market.  It would be surprising to see the Canucks go that high with who else needs to be signed but they’ll make one last attempt to try to bridge the gap.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/west-notes-zadorov-oconnor-jets.html#ref=home

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

West Notes: Zadorov, O’Connor, Jets

June 14th, 2024 at 9:00pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Defenseman Nikita Zadorov is one of several notable pending unrestricted free agents in Vancouver.  It appears that they’re going to make one last push to try to sign him as CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal reports (Twitter link) the Canucks are preparing to tender the blueliner a final offer soon.  Vancouver acquired the 29-year-old back in November and while he didn’t light it up following the move (14 points in 54 games), Zadorov had a big showing in the playoffs that has certainly bolstered his value.  He picked up four goals and four assists in 13 games while averaging nearly four and a half hits per game in just over 20 minutes a night. 

Dhaliwal adds that some think he could get six years at $6MM per season if he gets to the open market.  It would be surprising to see the Canucks go that high with who else needs to be signed but they’ll make one last attempt to try to bridge the gap.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/west-notes-zadorov-oconnor-jets.html#ref=home

6 x 6 who does he think he is Loui Eriksson?

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That Darnel Nurse contract is looking far worse now..       maybe .    Lol

I'd rather have Zadorov than Nurse.  Nurse is 29 and has 6 more years at $9.25 million.  Zadorov at 6x6 looks like a bargain next to that contract.  At 5x6 I am totally fine with bringing him back...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2