[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Zadorov than Nurse.  Nurse is 29 and has 6 more years at $9.25 million.  Zadorov at 6x6 looks like a bargain next to that contract.  At 5x6 I am totally fine with bringing him back...

Understatement of the year right there. Darnell is -14 in the playoffs with a chance for even worse. He is constantly out of position, misses his assignments, is slow to react and seems generally befuddled much of the time. And only under contract for SIX more years at $9.5M AAV. Maybe the worst contract in hockey at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Understatement of the year right there. Darnell is -14 in the playoffs with a chance for even worse. He is constantly out of position, misses his assignments, is slow to react and seems generally befuddled much of the time. And only under contract for SIX more years at $9.5M AAV. Maybe the worst contract in hockey at the moment.

Seth Jones contract is giving Nurse’s contract run for the money.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Zadorov than Nurse.  Nurse is 29 and has 6 more years at $9.25 million.  Zadorov at 6x6 looks like a bargain next to that contract.  At 5x6 I am totally fine with bringing him back...

Oh absolutely,.  
But here’s 2 more important Stats that Zadorov’s game will have for the next 2-5 years,.  

Trajectory and Least Injuries !

Less man day losses in a player like this essential .

(Compare that to Tanev in his time here as an example)

And at 29 years where young men of his Height seem to only stop physically growing at 28-29yrs...  

He’s going to be more powerful at 31 - up !!

He’s been complaining elsewhere that he’s not given the opportunity to show what he can do….      Love his honesty! .. cause he just proved t to us !   The D Coaches were working with him to “Show” …

I see more potential in this player in Vancouver with these Coaches.

Im not even going to look at a graph ,.  But I see nothing but up for the Canucks if they ensure he stays,.  we know he wants to.

4.75-5.5m for 6-7 years

….  and think Z has the potential to turn into a Hall of Fame Candidate .. but only here, with these Coaches.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

I love Zadorov, but $5 million is a ceiling to me.

Yeah.  He’s an established 4-5 guy. He’s going to play 17-19 min a night regular season - and while he’s electric in the playoffs, you still need to make it there. 

before the playoffs I was fine with him back at around 4-4.25 but after, sure, up to 5.  But there’s a very real limit for this guy as much as we all love him.  Give him some term, but keep the AAV manageable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, The Duke said:

Yeah.  He’s an established 4-5 guy. He’s going to play 17-19 min a night regular season - and while he’s electric in the playoffs, you still need to make it there. 

before the playoffs I was fine with him back at around 4-4.25 but after, sure, up to 5.  But there’s a very real limit for this guy as much as we all love him.  Give him some term, but keep the AAV manageable. 

with this coaching staff I expect zadorov to continue to improve, and with quinn hughes anchoring an elite top pair, z can slot in as a second pair guy. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dannydog said:

I’d be happy with big Z at $5.5 without blinking an eye. Look what Chara did for Boston… enough said. Big Z with the D coaches we have atm is exactly what van needs. Tired of always wanting that big Dman that crushes opponents, fights, chirps, intimidates opponents. We have that guy now . Pay the man , make it work.

Yeah agree 

he’s a unique player - even more than what we hoped tryamkin would be 

We have a lot of cap 

we have to use it to fill top of the lineup guys then rely on our pro scouting to fill out lower end lineup guys who can exceed expectation with RTs system and great structure/ coaching staff

9 minutes ago, dannydog said:

I’d be happy with big Z at $5.5 without blinking an eye. Look what Chara did for Boston… enough said. Big Z with the D coaches we have atm is exactly what van needs. Tired of always wanting that big Dman that crushes opponents, fights, chirps, intimidates opponents. We have that guy now . Pay the man , make it work.

Yeah agree 

We have a lot of cap 

we have to use it to fill top of the lineup guys then rely on our pro scouting to fill out lower end lineup guys who can exceed expectation with RTs system and great structure/ coaching staff

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

Yeah agree 

We have a lot of cap 

Agreed, hopefully guys like bains,pods,arty can fill in those bottom 6 rolls to allow management to a lot more cap space for another def rdman and a top 6 winger/center. Has there been any mention as to what Myers is willing to re up for?

To BUF

Hronek 

Podkolzin 

To VAN

Byram (3.85)

BUF 2024 2nd

To CHI

Milky 

2024 BUF 2nd 

To VAN 

2024 CHI 3rd 

Zads 4.75x6

Tanev 4.5x 3

Myers 2.75x3

JG 9

Bluegger 1.75x 4

Silovs 1

Duhaime 1.1

Joshua 3.75

cap = 26.7+ 5.75= 32.5

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

To BUF

Hronek 

Podkolzin 

To VAN

Byram (3.85)

BUF 2024 2nd

To CHI

Milky 

2024 BUF 2nd 

To VAN 

2024 CHI 3rd 

Zads 4.75x6

Tanev 4.5x 3

Myers 2.75x3

JG 9

Bluegger 1.75x 4

Silovs 1

Duhaime 1.1

Joshua 3.75

cap = 26.7+ 5.75= 32.5

JG Petey Hogz

Joshua Miller Brock 

Suter Bluegger Garland 

PDG Aman Duhaime 

Hughes Zads

Byram Tanev

Soucy Myers 

2 hours ago, dannydog said:

Tell me you never saw Chara in his prime without telling me you never saw Chara in his prime.

2 hours ago, dannydog said:

Chara in my books is arguably a top 50 defenseman of all time....

He was nominated for Norris 15 times, finished top 5 in voting 8 of those times and won it once. He average 24 minutes per game over a 20+ season career and had a career dzone start % of close to 60%. He in my opinion is one of the most underrated defenseman of all time

I agree with bringing back Zadorov but he's no Chara not even close

Edited by bh90
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Chara in my books is arguably a top 50 defenseman of all time....

He was nominated for Norris 15 times, finished top 5 in voting 8 of those times and won it once. He average 24 minutes per game over a 20+ season career and had a career dzone start % of close to 60%. He in my opinion is one of the most underrated defenseman of all time

I agree with bringing back Zadorov but he's no Chara not even close

Yeah, even at the same age, Chara was a far superior defenceman.  It's not even close.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, even at the same age, Chara was a far superior defenceman.  It's not even close.

Chara didn’t learn how to skate until he was 28 .

I watched a year of his Junior in PG ,  he skated like Bambi at 27 still.

and I’ll add he didnt become superior until he hit his 30’s and his physical growth settled.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Chara didn’t learn how to skate until he was 28 .

I watched a year of his Junior in PG ,  he skated like Bambi at 27 still.

and I’ll add he didnt become superior until he hit his 30’s and his physical growth settled.

He was 29 in 2006.  That was his 3rd season in a row where he put up around 40 points and that season he scored 16 goals.  How exactly is Zadorov comparable this year?  

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He was 29 in 2006.  That was his 3rd season in a row where he put up around 40 points and that season he scored 16 goals.  How exactly is Zadorov comparable this year?  

you did watch BOSTON play those years right ?

who’s talking this year? Lol 

im talking future.

everyone has there own “prime” time line,

and generation of hockey to play in.

Youve brought up Chara , not me.

Zadorov has the potential to be a hall of famer WITH our Coaching Staff , and if he stays here.

your playing the part of our local journalism heros with your spin .

lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

zadorov fills the role of a way bigger, more meaningfully physical kevin bieksa.

he plays like a gunslinger, and teams need some of that. he'll make some mistakes that make him look bad because he made a high risk decision that didn't pan out, but the good far outweighs the bad.

add to that the off ice swagger and levity and old school mentality and connection to the city and organization and the bravado and the confidence it gives to his teammates and the total package you end up with isn't quantifiable on paper or with analytics, and if you can get him for $5.5m or less in a world where the cap will hit $100m soon, I think you have to do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

im talking future.

Zadorov has the potential to be a hall of famer WITH our Coaching Staff , and if he stays here.

lol

Don't move the goal post.  I said at the same age Chara and Zadorov are not even comparable.  They simply are not.  Chara got even better after that 29th year like you said.  

I also didn't bring up Chara.  I was just replying to another poster that was trying to compare Zadorov to him.  I'm saying it's not even close.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

im talking future.

lol

there is no universe where zadorov will ever be a hockey hall of famer (at least as a player), but there is definitely a universe where he goes in the canucks ring of honour. 

• Like 1