[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Are we thinking the same injury period?:classic_biggrin: Was Zadorov even on the team when Soucy first got injured I can't rememember. I do remember though that the LAST time Soucy was injured, we tolerated it a lot better with Zads in the line up.

You could be right there

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I’m not suggesting you add Garland as a sweetener, he’s got good value now 

was suggesting adding a pick as a sweetener to get off Mik’s contract for that cap room instead 

The point was, if you’re able to sign JG and you can’t get off Mik’s contract without say giving up a fist, Then, a trade of Garlamd makes sense.

we would still get a quality prospect or pick back 

While I misread that, I don't see anything positive in trading a player like garland

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

food for thought: when kevin bieksa signed his big contract after the 2010-11 season, $4.6m x 5 years, that represented 7.15% of the salary cap. 

if you consider zadorov as someone filling the same role, as I do, the current equivalent value would be $6.3m x 5, full NTC. 

bieksa's previous contract, $3.75m x 3 years, actually ate up a larger piece of the pie at 7.46% of the cap, which would prorate to $6.565m today. 

Kevin Bieksa was on one of the best D-pairings in the league in 2010-11 and had a couple 40 point seasons under his belt.

46 minutes ago, FlippersUp said:

If the playoffs showed us anything its that the guys with the biggest balls are your MVP's 

To me that was Miller, Hughes, Zadorov, Garland, Dak, Lindholm, PDG. They each drove the bus in various essential ways.  

Dak? PGD? No Boeser? That's an interesting list. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Kevin Bieksa was on one of the best D-pairings in the league in 2010-11 and had a couple 40 point seasons under his belt

that's a reach. bieksa and hamhuis were a good shutdown second pairing that year but they both missed a quarter of the season and had down years offensively. 

26 minutes ago, tas said:

that's a reach. bieksa and hamhuis were a good shutdown second pairing that year but they both missed a quarter of the season and had down years offensively. 

That pairing - when together - was absolutely unreal. 

to be fair, that entire defence was pretty unreal. 

Really curious what the Canucks final offer is and whether that’s sufficient for big Z to stay.

From the outside looking in it does kind of seem like him and his family really want to be here.

But if other teams are offering a huge payday it would be hard to say no to that. And the Canucks cant be held hostage by what other teams are willing to offer.

So a fair deal if they can come to terms will be super interesting. And I wonder if that means a guy like Carson Soucy has to be moved….

Dream scenario for me is the Canucks can have big Z AND Dillon on the back end.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Zads can play right 

Sign Hronek, Zads, Myers and Dillon both shoukd take sone discount for 3 yrs of term 2.75 each 

That would be a nasty D and would be a dream to have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Really curious what the Canucks final offer is and whether that’s sufficient for big Z to stay.

From the outside looking in it does kind of seem like him and his family really want to be here.

But if other teams are offering a huge payday it would be hard to say no to that. And the Canucks cant be held hostage by what other teams are willing to offer.

So a fair deal if they can come to terms will be super interesting. And I wonder if that means a guy like Carson Soucy has to be moved….

Dream scenario for me is the Canucks can have big Z AND Dillon on the back end.  

Signing both Zadorov and Dillon would be a drema scenario for me too.  But in reality, Dillon is their backup plan if they can't sign Zadorov.

Otherwise, they would have Hughes, Zadorov, Soucy and Dillon all as LHD, and who would sit?  Tocchet doesn't play two same-handed D-men together (not for more than a game or two anyway).

59 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Signing both Zadorov and Dillon would be a drema scenario for me too.  But in reality, Dillon is their backup plan if they can't sign Zadorov.

Otherwise, they would have Hughes, Zadorov, Soucy and Dillon all as LHD, and who would sit?  Tocchet doesn't play two same-handed D-men together (not for more than a game or two anyway).

Yeah it was just a hypothetical situation, although if it were to become a reality Soucy would have to be moved (I did mention that).

10 hours ago, tas said:

food for thought: when kevin bieksa signed his big contract after the 2010-11 season, $4.6m x 5 years, that represented 7.15% of the salary cap. 

if you consider zadorov as someone filling the same role, as I do, the current equivalent value would be $6.3m x 5, full NTC. 

bieksa's previous contract, $3.75m x 3 years, actually ate up a larger piece of the pie at 7.46% of the cap, which would prorate to $6.565m today. 

Not a great comparison...

Bieksa had multiple 40+ point seasons by that point and was averaging 23 minutes a game over his first 5 full seasons.

Zadorov's best offensive season (22 points) is exactly half of Bieksa's best (44 points). His career average for ice time is 18 minutes, apples and oranges.

8 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

And Hughes, Hronek, Soucy and Myers.

The Norris winner and his number two plus "huge" bunch of capable 3 - 6.

Add Guentzel.

Everyone else on the cheap. Lekk Podz etc.

Fits the cap and I like it.

Teams need to feel intimidated next year playing the Canucks.

Big f'n defense plus a dangerous addition to the top 6 will do that.

Hello Demko coming back with his best ever season....

that would be the dream off-season, I think. 

Additions: 

- Guentzel

- Zadorov

- Dillon

- If there's room - Roy

Defensively, we'd be set. 

Offensively, still probably could make a deal or two after Guentzel. Do we even have cap space after that? 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that would be the dream off-season, I think. 

Additions: 

- Guentzel

- Zadorov

- Dillon

- If there's room - Roy

Defensively, we'd be set. 

Offensively, still probably could make a deal or two after Guentzel. Do we even have cap space after that? 

Depends if we can ship Mikheyev out of here and what happens with Joshua. I imagine Joshua will end up being paid more than we can afford elsewhere. We also can't forget about a 3C. Hopefully we can get Blueger back without breaking the bank. 

Maybe Allvin can pull another rabbit out of the hat like he did with Joshua and find someone under the radar that can contribute. 

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Not a great comparison...

Bieksa had multiple 40+ point seasons by that point and was averaging 23 minutes a game over his first 5 full seasons.

Zadorov's best offensive season (22 points) is exactly half of Bieksa's best (44 points). His career average for ice time is 18 minutes, apples and oranges.

except that the role he fills for the canucks is apples to apples, despite the track record being different. 

but notice that I'm not suggesting zadorov should get $6.5m. I think $5.5m or less is fair. I was just pointing out how much cap the canucks dedicated to a similar role back then. 

• Cheers 1