[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

As a fan, the priority of all UFAs that we have is Zadorov. That guy just makes being a fan extra fun. The way he hits, protects teammates, gives the team confidence, has the swagger, he's the guy I want to see out there. Even if and when we lose games, he's the guy you want on your team. I really hope something works out in the negotiations. 

And we don’t have anyone currently who can play like he does. Maybe D-Petey is similar but he’s not intimidating as a fighter. Big Z is just so much more than just what we see him do. I have my furry fingers and Toes crossed. I’ll leave the crossed eyes to Bouchard. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Was dead quiet when the JT signing dropped , and the Horvat deal happened.

I kinda like it ,  most of the Journalists have talked themselves Dozzy into a Death Spin and have crashed !   Lol

Bored To Death Waiting GIF by Travis

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

I want Big Z back for his fashion statements.  Bringing back straight leg pants and tight clothes.  Next is a flower in his lapel.  Also want to see his Halloween costume...if Miller can wear tights the sky is the limit for Mr. Z.

The hulking unrestricted free agent (UFA) defenceman has played for five NHL teams and it could be a sixth if his camp can’t reach contract terms with the Vancouver Canucks.

That final line in the negotiation sand was supposed be drawn on the weekend with a last offer, but it’s not a stretch to suggest that Zadorov isn’t losing sleep over the chess match to determine his long-term worth.

He knows his game. He knows his worth. He’d like to stay. However, he’s going to earn as much as US$6 million annually in free agency.

Zadorov, 29, quickly became a fan favourite for his fresh, frank and funny demeanour, and for delivering thundering hits on an expiring $3.75 million salary-cap hit. A leap to $6 million for a third-pairing, left-shot defenceman is massive, but intangibles suggest $5 million might be workable. He had turned down $4.5 million and maybe there’s wiggle room with contract term.

Still, in a bottom-line business, the Canucks have to eventually draw a line and could walk away. But with UFA depth defenceman Ian Cole expected to test the market, there could be two back-end holes to fill.

A potential bottom-pairing fit fizzled Friday when the Carolina Hurricanes signed former Canuck and pending right-shot UFA Jalen Chatfield, 28, to a three-year, $9 million extension.

At age 33, UFA Brenden Dillon might be a placeholder fit on limited term because he has the size at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds. And maybe the left shot New Westminster native would take a hometown discount on his expiring $3.9 million cap hit.

Noah Juulsen, 27, has a year left on his deal at a bargain $775,000 cap hit. His improvement this season — including a 163 hits in just 54 games to lead club defenders — could make the right-shot Surrey native a third-pairing regular.

Aside from how it plays out, the imposing 6-foot-6, 248-pound Zadorov sent an early message of belief in his long-term value after logging just eight games following a trade from the Calgary Flames.

“I’m not even close to what I can do and what coaches want to see,” Zadorov told this reporter. “I can skate with the puck more and make more plays. When I get used to it (systems), it will show for sure.”

And it did. Zadorov came to the emotional rescue to ensure nobody messes with star players — like in Chicago on Dec. 17 when he fought to answer a hard hit on Elias Pettersson — and then peaked with a strong playoff presence.

He’s what head coach Rick Tocchet has always coveted. A big defencemen who can defend physically and positionally, quickly exit the zone with crisp passes and join the rush to cause coverage problems.

When Zadorov responded with heightened testosterone and post-season production levels with eight points (4-4) in 13 games — including highlight-reel rushes to pick the top corners from a wide angle — to go with 45 playoff hits — it sent a message.

It followed up his 124 hits in 54 regular-season games after 53 in 21 outings with the Flames and teased of more offensive potential. Zadorov had 14 goals in 2022-23.

More importantly, the Canucks have gone from hunters to the hunted. They won’t surprise anybody next season and ensuring they can take the next step means measuring up on the back end.

It’s why Zadrov touted defensive coaches Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar as key cogs because he has so much more to give.

“Foote had a coach on top of him all the time, so he knows how to treat players, what we want to hear on the ice and what we don’t want to hear,” stressed Zadorov. “He’s really smart and helps my style for sure.

Zadorov moves and pivots well for a towering defender and that foundation came at an early age in figure skating. Yes, “Big Z” did spins and twirls.

“I worked with a coach from age seven to 13,” he said during an engaging Q&A. “It’s impossible to change your skating after you’re 18. You can add some skill stuff, but it’s important at a young age.

“It was always defence for me because I was bigger than everybody. I played a little basketball in middle school, but you gave to commit to one sport if you want to be good. My parents always invested and I had 6 a.m. practices.”

There’s also another side to Zadorov.

He quickly embraced his new surroundings at the arena with a flair for fashion and camaraderie as much as his family did in adjusting to West Vancouver. His comfort factor in the room was matched by competitive potential with a 109-point team that captured the Pacific Division and nearly advanced to the Western Conference final.

Article continues about his feelings about his homeland...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Keeps refreshing the page every 5 seconds

If they made the offer today, my bet is there won't be a decision for a few days at least. His agent will always try to go back for more, then Zads has to consider, then if close they will sit down and try to hammer out changes, whatever they may be.

So I don't expect anything until end of the week. By then the Canucks will have to decide are we signing him or trading his rights, and they would need to give the other team enough time not negotiate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

If they made the offer today, my bet is there won't be a decision for a few days at least. His agent will always try to go back for more, then Zads has to consider, then if close they will sit down and try to hammer out changes, whatever they may be.

So I don't expect anything until end of the week. By then the Canucks will have to decide are we signing him or trading his rights, and they would need to give the other team enough time not negotiate.

nicksplat rugrats GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

nicksplat rugrats GIF

So do I, I pray we sign him. As a long time fan, we have always lacked the swagger and pushback that he brings. Not many guys bring that, and in this lineup very few. I think he's integral for us to succeed in the playoffs... Love Zads, really want him back long term.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

So do I, I pray we sign him. As a long time fan, we have always lacked the swagger and pushback that he brings. Not many guys bring that, and in this lineup very few. I think he's integral for us to succeed in the playoffs... Love Zads, really want him back long term.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've already ordered a Zadorov jersey

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Lots of rumours about Zadorov recently. Personally, I would like Big Z back - with his play, its makes everyone around him play a bit bigger - and they can go about their way knowing their backs are covered.  The question is salary - for the 5.5-6M estimate, management is probably assessing if he can move up the depth chart to pairing number 2 and contribute a bit more defensively or even some PP time.  When you put someone 6M+ on the third pairing, they still need to find a second pairing and will have a bit less money to work with.

Depending on who else also moves, they may be able to sign another of their RFA/  free agents - with the estimated 25M available, always thought 2-3 signings were doable and expected several to leave for bigger bucks.  I also hope the management be careful of very large signings - player such as Geutzel are fantastic players no doubt but believe the Canucks need well balanced depth throughout the roster - to counter the inevitable injuries during the playoffs and also to spread some minutes around during the regular season for player maintenance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

And we don’t have anyone currently who can play like he does. Maybe D-Petey is similar but he’s not intimidating as a fighter. Big Z is just so much more than just what we see him do. I have my furry fingers and Toes crossed. I’ll leave the crossed eyes to Bouchard. 

how do your empties feel about it?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Man, 7-8 years sounds pretty gross. 

I doubt he goes 7 unless it’s for a seriously muted AAV - somewhere in the mid 4s.  

His ceiling is speculated at a 6x6 and the speculation is usually higher than the contract.  Even at that, total money on a 7 year deal that would be 5.15. 

I still think there’s something to be done in the 5 mil x 6 years range - and at that point I don’t see it as a bargain at all, though he would see it as a discount based on that speculation. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

As of now, eastern time. I keep reading,as do others about Zadorov. 

Scary to think, could happen, we lose him.

Then we have to face him. Damn that's a dreadful thought.