[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You'd have to ask Flames fans, but my understanding is he was more of a 5 in Calgary based on ice time. His first season there he played roughly 17 minutes a night, behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Kylington, Stone, and Gudbranson. 

Look at 2022-2023 and he averaged about 18:41, behind Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, and Tanev. 

This season he averaged about 18:24, behind Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, and Tanev. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/2022.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/2023.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/

That top 4 is better than ours was though. Gotta remember Calgary had one of the best D cores in the league for awhile.

After Hughes and Hronek we don’t have an actual number 3/4 so unless we’re gonna go spend 6-7 mil on one Zadorov will have to fill that role.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You'd have to ask Flames fans, but my understanding is he was more of a 5 in Calgary based on ice time. His first season there he played roughly 17 minutes a night, behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Kylington, Stone, and Gudbranson. 

Look at 2022-2023 and he averaged about 18:41, behind Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, and Tanev. 

This season he averaged about 18:24, behind Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, and Tanev. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/2022.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/2023.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/

Yeah, that’s kind of what he’s been his whole career.  Although, those are some decent hockey players. 

I just think, Zadorov stabilized the bottom 2 pairs when Soucy was hurt… and later when Cole started to break down we were a lot better with both Zad and Soucy in the bottom 4.

Myers seems like he’s happy to return.  Would be nice to have the 3 big fellas around for the next 2 seasons at least. Would give us a real identity on the back end. 

Of course, Dillon on a much more reasonable deal could have the same effect. I’m glad I’m not the GM in this instance. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, recency bias.  You have to look at the whole picture, not just 13 games 

Not just looking at 13 games. But I do care about players who can elevate their game when it matters most. 

Tocchet loves the guy for a reason bud, irs not because of the 13 games. It’s clearly also how he prepares, leads, and competes for his teammates and coaches.

anyway I think losing him will be a big loss and I’d rather slightly overpay him to keep him because of that unique skill set.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Here’s a fun one:  

Zadorov and Juulsen 

or 

Dillon and Hakanpaa with Juulsen as a #7

Both of whom were injured last season, with Hakanpaa being out all playoffs too. 

pass. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Not just looking at 13 games. But I do care about players who can elevate their game when it matters most. 

Tocchet loves the guy for a reason bud, irs not because of the 13 games. It’s clearly also how he prepares, leads, and competes for his teammates and coaches.

anyway I think losing him will be a big loss and I’d rather slightly overpay him to keep him because of that unique skill set.  

Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about him, but id definitely have a number at the top that was around $5m

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about him, but id definitely have a number at the top that was around $5m

So say we were 750k apart 

he wants 5.75 

Do you walk? I would Be surprised if he didn’t sign 5.75 with term 

14 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

So say we were 750k apart 

he wants 5.75 

Do you walk? I would Be surprised if he didn’t sign 5.75 with term 

He'd have to give up years, for me, in that case.  

I guess, too, it depends on the rest of their plan as well

51 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

He brings an element that allows this team to play bigger 

he intimidates players from going to the net hard, from taking liberties, and going into the corner hard - this matters in the playoffs

I don’t asses Z’s salary on his points. I asses his salary based on what it takes to win a cup, and does he have a skill set very lacking on our team. Imagine if we had a big Z when Ferland was running us over that year in the playoffs. Think he would have settled down? Yes 

So let’s pay up and lock in a monster who scares the crap out of the opposition 

not many players actually do that. Other than Trouba I don’t think I can name one.

Like I said, easier to keep him. But yeah, not at any price. We'll see how it works out, the Canucks clearly want to keep him, we'll see what the dollars and term end up being. 

Z ain't a point guy, absolutely, but that's why folks shouldn't be mesmerized by his playoff production. More often than not he's not that guy. 

He's probably a 4-5D on a very good defense, it'll be interesting to see if he's paid like one. 

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That top 4 is better than ours was though. Gotta remember Calgary had one of the best D cores in the league for awhile.

After Hughes and Hronek we don’t have an actual number 3/4 so unless we’re gonna go spend 6-7 mil on one Zadorov will have to fill that role.

Yeah, outside of Hughes Calgary's had a better defense than us in recent years for sure. 

I've no issue with him being a 4 here, so long as his contract reflects that. 

35 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah, that’s kind of what he’s been his whole career.  Although, those are some decent hockey players. 

I just think, Zadorov stabilized the bottom 2 pairs when Soucy was hurt… and later when Cole started to break down we were a lot better with both Zad and Soucy in the bottom 4.

Myers seems like he’s happy to return.  Would be nice to have the 3 big fellas around for the next 2 seasons at least. Would give us a real identity on the back end. 

Of course, Dillon on a much more reasonable deal could have the same effect. I’m glad I’m not the GM in this instance. 

Yeah, if Z walks Dillon will likely be the target, albeit likely on a shorter term deal. 

Myers should be brought back, odds are we won't get a better RD for less than he'd probably be willing to take in Vancouver. If you have Myers as a 5D that's just fine. 

Z as a 4D is fine, no issue with that so long as the deal ain't outrageous. I'd really prefer a deal closer 4-5 years, even at a slightly higher cap hit. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Here’s a fun one:  

Zadorov and Juulsen 

or 

Dillon and Hakanpaa with Juulsen as a #7

You have obviously scoured NHL rosters for big, physical defencemen who are tough to play against. I've always liked Hakanpaa and Dillon is the kind of rock solid guy that would solidify the Vancouver defence. I'd happily take both if it meant no Zadorov.

• Cheers 1

I've said it before... say it again.

For the Canucks to have spent the picks and made the trade for Big Z and then to let him walk would be complete stupidity.

I would consider that a failure of management.

Personally I don't think you make that trade unless you sign him at the same time.

I consider Z to be worth more dollar wise to the team than Hronek.

At least with Hronek, even if we can't sign him longterm, we have him for another year with arbitration.

On 6/15/2024 at 1:43 PM, tas said:

food for thought: when kevin bieksa signed his big contract after the 2010-11 season, $4.6m x 5 years, that represented 7.15% of the salary cap. 

if you consider zadorov as someone filling the same role, as I do, the current equivalent value would be $6.3m x 5, full NTC. 

bieksa's previous contract, $3.75m x 3 years, actually ate up a larger piece of the pie at 7.46% of the cap, which would prorate to $6.565m today. 

I think you missed my point. Bieksa was a much better player. He logged way higher minutes and put up way more points.

Different kinds of produce, both good in their own way but different prices.

21 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Not a great comparison...

Bieksa had multiple 40+ point seasons by that point and was averaging 23 minutes a game over his first 5 full seasons.

Zadorov's best offensive season (22 points) is exactly half of Bieksa's best (44 points). His career average for ice time is 18 minutes, apples and oranges.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

For the Canucks to have spent the picks and made the trade for Big Z and then to let him walk would be complete stupidity.

Personally I don't think you make that trade unless you sign him at the same time.

At least with Hronek, even if we can't sign him longterm, we have him for another year with arbitration.

I agree that Zad is worth more to the team than hronek, but that doesn't mean you overpay, imo 

11 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Even at the time of the trade I thought the value of the picks given was a good price for a straight rental. After his playoff performance I'm 100% sure we got great value even if he leaves town.

• Upvote 1

I hope we find a way to keep him here. We've been weak on defence for so long it would be nice to continue with a solid d-corps.

I know we're on the upswing and UFAs want to come here again, but they are still UFAs and have a say in where they go and other teams will be competing for their services. It's not like we can just hit the add to cart icon and get any UFA we want.

1 hour ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Dunno, a 3rd and 5th was pretty cheap for what he brought in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1