[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We literally gave Demko a 5x5 contract and the starters position after 4 playoff games. 

I guess there was more to it than those playoffs games from Demko. I would imagine the goalie coaching staff gave their recommendation to Benning saying he's going to be a starter.

I am not sure what management thinks of Zadorov but there were some rumors that Canucks were willing to trade away Zadorov at the time.

Edited by iinatcc

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well said.   And it wasn't just the playoffs, when Soucy was out the team was in a funk, one of the worst ones of the year and the first one of the year ... our season was for sure still in danger of fizzling out.   Then Zadarov came and instead of win one, lose one win one lose one etc, we started to win again and had some of the best hockey until the all-star game, back to number one, and stayed there for awhile.   

On top of that, personally tired of having a small d-corp.   We haven't had a big one really since the WCE era, and those were small compared to the ones before that.    It's not like Hedican, Lumme, Aucion weren't mobile either, you can have both.     Zadorov is very moblile for a big dude.     The Canucks for decades were a rough tough character team.    Getting some of that back means something. 

You got my voted... sick off being man handled, and the only large boys we had were pylons... 

We still needed a bit more beef on the 4th line... and we'd be good to go...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I think you missed my point. Bieksa was a much better player. He logged way higher minutes and put up way more points.

Different kinds of produce, both good in their own way but different prices.

I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We literally gave Demko a 5x5 contract and the starters position after 4 playoff games. 

After years of service to the org.

And don't get me wrong, I want zad to stay, but I don't want them to overpay him because he had a great 13 games.

Edited by stawns

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for Big Z,  he wants to be here, and we like the guy, he's a good fit.  Get there will be an overpay, it's a manageable scale of overpayment given without him and Joshua, who I doubt is coming back, we lose most of our toughness right there.   You can't win a cup without some.   Good luck with that.    Just look at the teams who've been in the final four and the finals.   Can't imagine, our core, getting there without support this way.    More than we had really.   We needed one more Joshua grit level guy  (Marroon on the fourth line to send a message in both series would have been better then Aman or a couple other guys really).    Dillon is a minor upgrade on Juulsen.   Maybe a lateral one on Cole.   Another bit of toughness we likely won't have back. 

If the goal is to make the playoffs, i'm sure they will figure something out.   Creating a cup team takes all types, before Soucy, Manson was the main target we needed, COL got him and look what happened for them.    The goal is to win a cup though, and that's when guys like Manson and Zadorov shine. 

Back to the scale of overpayment.    5.25 x 5.    What are we really talking about?   5.25% cap increase, his part of that raise puts him at well over 4.    Manson's deal signed in covid flat cap, 4.5 x 4 starting at age 31.  

Zadarov is 27/28, his next deal is the rest of his best years.   If he gets the same deal as Manson just got it would be 4.885 based on expected cap increase.  x 4 years ... add some for the fact he's not 31 at the start of his deal,  and well he's a unicorn.   5.25 x 4 is where the analytics have him...give him one more year and make it happen.   Should be a useful bottom pairing worst case.   Manson is that for COL right now. 

Isn't Big Z 29yo?

Zadorov brings so much to the team, he's a beast who can score and crush opponents. He brings the swagger. Pay the man.

$5.25 x 5

in 3 years (the LDs)

Hughes

Zadorov

Pettersson

Brisebois/Mynio/Kudryavtsev

10 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Zadorov brings so much to the team, he's a beast who can score and crush opponents. He brings the swagger. Pay the man.

$5.25 x 5

in 3 years (the LDs)

Hughes

Zadorov

Pettersson

I'd be ok with 5.25

18 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

$5.25 x 5

in 3 years (the LDs)

Hughes

Zadorov

Pettersson

Hopefully management sees the intangibles he brings... not even just talking about analytics or his personality, but the fact when he's there, all of our players feel like they can play an inch or two taller. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, we didn't. Demko was still on the last year of his less than $2 million caphit contract in the 2021 season. He followed up from the bubble playoffs with another solid season and established himself as a starter before we inked him on a 5x5 contract. We did made the decision to keep Demko over Markstrom based on the playoffs, but didn't immediately sign him to a contract extension.