[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Think cap percentage not dollars.  6% of the cap is just fine for a 5th D with our teams make-up.   His left leg weighs as much as QHs and Hronek together.     We saw how easily the regular season went once they figured them out, playoffs yikes.   QHs was creamed.   At one point Tochett started to play Z with QHs for some shifts.    QHs/Hronek together didn't work anymore.   In the regular season.   Teams figured them out. 

hronek has gotta be on the second pair i think

we need to be able to move the puck up the ice for at least 45 mins

problem is who do you play hughes with? id argue you now need to go get someone else, and thats going to be pricey

hughes-demelo

zadorov-hronek

soucy-myers

is a great set up but doubt we can afford

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

problem is who do you play hughes with? id argue you now need to go get someone else, and thats going to be pricey

hughes-demelo

zadorov-hronek

soucy-myers

we can afford it by moving Mik and Garly, and it would be worth it. I know people have fallen in love with Garly, and for good reason, but to make this kind of improvement on d you have to go for it and fill in the wings with some of the kids or UFAs. 

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

we can afford it by moving Mik and Garly, and it would be worth it. I know people have fallen in love with Garly, and for good reason, but to make this kind of improvement on d you have to go for it and fill in the wings with some of the kids or UFAs. 

id be pretty concerned about getting any offense from our bottom 6 with garland gone

idk maybe they try reuniting hoglander/aman/karlsson as our 3rd line, they had some magic in the ahl together

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

id be pretty concerned about getting any offense from our bottom 6 with garland gone

idk maybe they try reuniting hoglander/aman/karlsson as our 3rd line, they had some magic in the ahl together

not me, even if we struggle a bit we can always pick up a winger at the TDL. With that d group we're also really going to dominate play so I like our chances. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

not me, even if we struggle a bit we can always pick up a winger at the TDL. With that d group we're also really going to dominate play so I like our chances. 

we do have some pretty good offensive guys who may make the jump next year

Podkolzin, Bains, Raty, Karlsson should all be in the running for bottom6 spots, and all have proven to have decent hands

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

we do have some pretty good offensive guys who may make the jump next year

Podkolzin, Bains, Raty, Karlsson should all be in the running for bottom6 spots, and all have proven to have decent hands

Our bottom six guys need to pk so Petey and JTM don’t have to. Plus we need a bottom six right shot centre who is good at draws so JTM doesn’t have to take so many D Zone faceoffs. 

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Holtby was a placeholder.  At best he was a 1A.  He was never going to be out starter.  The decision on Demko was made in the summer of 2020 when we let Markstrom walk.  After those 4 playoff games Demko was our guy.  Holtby was never in our long term plans...

The move was widely panned as holtby being 1A with demko taking over in a few years. Demko outplayed him handily and earned a big payday. Had their numbers been reversed holtby would have kept the majority of the games and demko would have been looking at a lot less dollars and term.

Screenshot_20240617_105457_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240617_105532_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240617_105901_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

hughes-demelo

zadorov-hronek

soucy-myers

I like the thought of demalo, would be a perfect partner for hughes and could also form an elite shut down pairing with zadorov 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

The move was widely panned as holtby being 1A with demko taking over in a few years. Demko outplayed him handily and earned a big payday. Had their numbers been reversed holtby would have kept the majority of the games and demko would have been looking at a lot less dollars and term.

I literally said in my post that you quoted that Holtby at best was a 1A.  So I'm not disputing that.  What I am disputing is that Holtby was signed to be our defacto #1.  He came in as a placeholder, as insurance.  Was he going to get 1A games?  Yes.  But as Thoams Drance said and you quoted him, Holtby was a low risk bridge to the Thatcher Demko era.  There was never any doubt that Demko was our guy.  It was only a question of how many games would he get in 2020.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Zadorov thread guys….. never mind the fact you guys are arguing over previous regime moves. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Their hope is that Zadorov hits another level like Chara did in his 30s.  Chara's best years actually came after he left OTT and was given a larger role.

Thats a common misconception that chara wasnt good before the bruins. Chara was actually in a very large role for the senators. In fact he logged over 27 minutes a game in his last season there. More than all the years he played in Boston besides his first. 

He struggled the first few seasons on long Island. Had a good first season in ottawa and grew leaps and bounds in his second season there (age 25). I would say that transition was more substantial than any improvements after age 30.

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Thats a common misconception that chara wasnt good before the bruins. Chara was actually in a very large role for the senators. In fact he logged over 27 minutes a game in his last season there. More than all the years he played in Boston besides his first. 

He struggled the first few seasons on long Island. Had a good first season in ottawa and grew leaps and bounds in his second season there (age 25). I would say that transition was more substantial than any improvements after age 30.

Not saying he wasn't good with OTT.  It's just that he IMPROVED some more after leaving OTT.  That's the point I think.  He improved in his 30s.

9 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Zadorov thread guys….. never mind the fact you guys are arguing over previous regime moves. 

The argument started over a poster who thought the canucks gave demko a 5x5 because of 4 playoff games alone. Using that as a reason to pay Zadorov for his 13 games and not his 11 year career.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's a scale of overpay.    His UFA value without taxes or anything, is set at 5.25 x 4.      Who's going to replace him?  Dillon?  The Dickinson plus age of rough and tumble UFAs who really has nothing  else to prove?   Nah.   Plus someone else will likely overpay for him.     The higher you go, the more the overpay.    Hronek.   Yikes.   8 x 8 that's scary as fuck. 

Every year the CDC goes wild over the X-box UFA game.  Like it's at all close to that easy.   32 teams.  Why us?  One of the worst taxed teams in the league.   Zadorov actually wants to be here.   Not sure why that's not valued.   It's not just the 13 games either.  The team was completely in the mud when Soucy went down.   Until Z came on board.  He's only a couple years older than Hronek. 

Because in the next three seasons, every dollar is going to matter

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

😭😭😭

Screenshot_20240617_143801_X.jpg

Makes you wonder how low is he thinking and how high is management thinking? If he signs somewhere for 5.5mil I will be a tad bit upset. Cause that means we could have had him around 5-5.5mil. I know playoffs isn't everything, but he was good in the regular season too. People are higher on Silovs than Zadorov for some reason. Lol. I mean, I know why. We have a love affair with backups in this fanbase. But still. I wonder if he's after what Myers got from us 5 years ago. 6mil is too rich for my blood.