[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Hope they can get something done.  Big Z is an emotional leader for this team and is one of the guys who steps it up when the pressure is on.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

5.75M probably gets you DeMelo, $6M probably gets you Matt Roy, $6.5M probably gets you Pesce.

Getting any of the above balances our D group a lot better than Zadorov.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-DeMelo

UFA-Myers

With Zadorov, we're hunting for a bargain RHD to be able to play pretty big minutes... not many exist...

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-UFA

Soucy-Myers

After the playoffs, I don't believe a Hughes/Hronek pairing is feasable.

I would be happy with a D-core like this:

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy -Myers

....and if Hronek wants too much, then we look for a cheaper option. Tanev gives us time for our younger guys to develop.

• Vintage 2

Just now, EdgarM said:

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy -Myers

....and if Hronek wants too much, then we look for a cheaper option. Tanev gives us time for our younger guys to develop.

Seeing what happened these playoffs, that top pair would get slaughtered... Hughes would get hammered, and Tanev would likely get injured. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Seeing what happened these playoffs, that top pair would get slaughtered... Hughes would get hammered, and Tanev would likely get injured. 

I think with a balanced dcore you could pick and choose Hughes's deployment way better. With big bodies like Big Z, Myers, and Soucy, I highly doubt we get "slaughtered". 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

5.75M probably gets you DeMelo, $6M probably gets you Matt Roy, $6.5M probably gets you Pesce.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-DeMelo

UFA-Myers

With Zadorov, we're hunting for a bargain RHD to be able to play pretty big minutes... not many exist...

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-UFA

Soucy-Myers

It really depends on what the Canucks want to do with their D as a whole, there's an unusual number of legit top 4D out there who'll probably hit UFA. One has to assume that if Myers is brought back it's probably for more of a third pairing, 5D, sort of role than as a guy expected to play a top 4 role, going out and getting another legit 4RD might be the preference to adding on the left side where we already have Hughes and Soucy. 

Which isn't to say the Canucks don't want to keep Zadorov, he just might not be prioritized over another legit top 4RD. What happens with Hronek is another wrinkle, if he does end up being shipped out the Canucks may very well be shopping for two top 4RD via UFA. We can't assume we'd be getting an RD back in a Hronek trade. It could be tough to know how much give you've got with Zadorov with Hronek still presumably up in the air. 

It's not as a simple as just giving Zadorov whatever he wants when they've got other holes to fill.

Edited by Coconuts

13 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Still got time. 

Nux haven't announce any other signings. I'm sure they are busy at work working out deals and scenarios. 

No news is good news. Friedman and Dhaliwal don’t have any new news because they aren’t being told anything right now. 

Don’t be surprised if a Zadorov signing happens out of nowhere with no advance warning. It’s how these guys roll. Remember, the Horvat trade wasn’t leaked. Neither was the Hronek trade. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-DeMelo

UFA-Myers

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-UFA

Soucy-Myers

Jumping on the bandwagon here.

After Zad's strong playoff, his agent probably thinks that some GM will overpay. And he is probably right.

But, based on last year's full season and on this prior career, Zad is probably 3LD on the Canucks, behind Hughes and Soucy.

He would be one of the best 3rd pairing D's in the league, but still on the third pairing. You can't pay 6M or even 5M for a 3rd pairing D. I understand that the Canucks offered 4.5. Maybe they can go a bit higher or add term, but I would not go any higher.

I would love to have Zad back on the team but this kind of situation is what the "smart money" (smart GM's) avoid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No news is good news. Friedman and Dhaliwal don’t have any new news because they aren’t being told anything right now. 

Don’t be surprised if a Zadorov signing happens out of nowhere with no advance warning. It’s how these guys roll. Remember, the Horvat trade wasn’t leaked. Neither was the Hronek trade. 

Interestingly, I was listening to 650 when the Hronek trade went down and happened to be on canucks cap friendly page, I had refreshed the page and all of a sudden, the canucks 2nd round pick was gone and for several minutes, twitter, 650, EF, RD- nobody and nowhere reported this... then about 5 minutes later it was announced we traded that pick in conjunction with the NYI 1st for Hronny... those cap friendly guys were connected to a source and figured things out faster than anyone

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for Big Z,  he wants to be here, and we like the guy, he's a good fit.  Get there will be an overpay, it's a manageable scale of overpayment given without him and Joshua, who I doubt is coming back, we lose most of our toughness right there.   You can't win a cup without some.   Good luck with that.    Just look at the teams who've been in the final four and the finals.   Can't imagine, our core, getting there without support this way.    More than we had really.   We needed one more Joshua grit level guy  (Marroon on the fourth line to send a message in both series would have been better then Aman or a couple other guys really).    Dillon is a minor upgrade on Juulsen.   Maybe a lateral one on Cole.   Another bit of toughness we likely won't have back. 

If the goal is to make the playoffs, i'm sure they will figure something out.   Creating a cup team takes all types, before Soucy, Manson was the main target we needed, COL got him and look what happened for them.    The goal is to win a cup though, and that's when guys like Manson and Zadorov shine. 

Back to the scale of overpayment.    5.25 x 5.    What are we really talking about?   5.25% cap increase, his part of that raise puts him at well over 4.    Manson's deal signed in covid flat cap, 4.5 x 4 starting at age 31.  

Zadarov is 27/28, his next deal is the rest of his best years.   If he gets the same deal as Manson just got it would be 4.885 based on expected cap increase.  x 4 years ... add some for the fact he's not 31 at the start of his deal,  and well he's a unicorn.   5.25 x 4 is where the analytics have him...give him one more year and make it happen.   Should be a useful bottom pairing worst case.   Manson is that for COL right now. 

Big Z turned out to be a better deal than what most fans thought when the deal was made. What a 3rd & 5th rdr for what could turn out as a 2LD. Did Zad do enough to put himself over $5 mil? Iffy especially with the team CAP. Can he find another team that can offer him the same career success and life style? Maybe throw in a bonus structure based on team success to close a deal. With Van coaching I suspect a little more upside in his game and his locker room presence cannot be discounted. 

Yes to Zad and Joshua. I ponder whether Joshua can be tried as a top 6 player next year. 

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy -Myers

Then you're paying $8ishm for 30-35 point Hronek

• Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I don’t think we need to concern ourselves about Hroneck ,  he is an RFA that can be qualified or traded.

Myers had a fair season,  at another 6m.

Was the D core that helped him get to the “fair”  category.

Zadorov ,  I put first on the list of “keepers”

on our entire team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

The argument started over a poster who thought the canucks gave demko a 5x5 because of 4 playoff games alone. Using that as a reason to pay Zadorov for his 13 games and not his 11 year career.

Again different regime…

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I literally said in my post that you quoted that Holtby at best was a 1A.  So I'm not disputing that.  What I am disputing is that Holtby was signed to be our defacto #1.  He came in as a placeholder, as insurance.  Was he going to get 1A games?  Yes.  But as Thoams Drance said and you quoted him, Holtby was a low risk bridge to the Thatcher Demko era.  There was never any doubt that Demko was our guy.  It was only a question of how many games would he get in 2020.  

And 2021 but yep that's what he was signed for and his cap hit was a starters. 

Kind of like signing some winger for Lekkermaki, but a year ahead of Demko.    Or a D two year ahead of Willander.  Now.   For top money.   At least JB had the presence of mind to limit the term, sure hope Allvin can do the same thing with Lekkermaki and Willander.    It wasn't the end of the world that's for sure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then you're paying $8ishm for 30-35 point Hronek

Yep.  And that's a bunch of blah.   It's absolutely ridiculous, that one year (half a season) translates to 8 x 8.   That's what you pay the better blue chip D's.   Like Ekblad. 

Why should he get a full term deal?   If it is, the cap should be in the 6's.   So many bad deals given to D's with a couple decent years.     It's ok at 7.   8 is ugh. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Holtby was a placeholder.  At best he was a 1A.  He was never going to be out starter.  The decision on Demko was made in the summer of 2020 when we let Markstrom walk.  After those 4 playoff games Demko was our guy.  Holtby was never in our long term plans...

Bit of a unique situation where the expansion draft forced us to chose between them earlier than the team would have liked. We wouldn't be able to protect 2 goalies and you can bet Seattle would have loved to take either Markstrom or Demko.

Holtby was not a long-term plan no, but he was there in case Demko wasn't ready yet. He was a stop-gap while Demko still had to earn a starters role and earn his 5x5 contract. And he allowed us to meet the requirements for leaving 1 professional goaltender unprotected in the expansion draft.

If the team re-signed Markstrom in the summer of 2020, you have to trade one of Markstrom or Demko before the expansion draft. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

Bit of a unique situation where the expansion draft forced us to chose between them earlier than the team would have liked. We wouldn't be able to protect 2 goalies and you can bet Seattle would have loved to take either Markstrom or Demko.

Holtby was not a long-term plan no, but he was there in case Demko wasn't ready yet. He was a stop-gap while Demko still had to earn a starters role and earn his 5x5 contract. And he allowed us to meet the requirements for leaving 1 professional goaltender unprotected in the expansion draft.

If the team re-signed Markstrom in the summer of 2020, you have to trade one of Markstrom or Demko before the expansion draft. 

Yep.   They had to pay a premium for Holtby, just like they did with Miller after Luongo left. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

about 1 third of the way in;

Sounds like the Tanev market is a hot one, not surprising but that's fantastic for him. Doubt he ends up back in Vancouver but I hope he lands somewhere where he'll get a shot at a cup. 

The Joshua bit isn't surprising either, they may very well have to look for a player who's not Joshua who could replace some of what he brings. Elliote spoke to the Canucks being an appealing team for players who play more of a Tocchet style, and that it could help them find players, I do think that's a fairly good point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

hronek has gotta be on the second pair i think

we need to be able to move the puck up the ice for at least 45 mins

problem is who do you play hughes with? id argue you now need to go get someone else, and thats going to be pricey

hughes-demelo

zadorov-hronek

soucy-myers

is a great set up but doubt we can afford

What the heck Demelo done that has moved the needle?  Just curious.    Myers career is >>> then his.    Would we want a QHs Myers pairing?   Nope.    Dillon would be a QHs Schenn deal which is ok.  

Edited by IBatch