[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Ah the good old media crutch has reared its head again eh?
”Poor little us!  The mean old media said something I don’t like so that means they’re out to get us.  I don’t even pay attention to them anyways!  Except for all the times that I respond to their comments and articles that is. One time their speculation was wrong so that means that I know everything and they don’t!”  
haha never gets old!

4 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Of course the door is open.  nobody, Nobody wants to see the big guy go. Unfortunately Friedman’s mouth is always open…..

I guess the agent could be playing hardball, so chuck on the extra year and get it done. 

• Cheers 1

Usauallu when you don’t hear anything in contract talks it usually means there’s some discussion. All though rutherford has been known to use media with his own brand of propaganda. 

Edited by Chon derry
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 3

6 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Usauallu when you don’t hear anything in contract talks it usually means there’s some discussion. All though rutherford has been known to use media with his own brand of propaganda. 

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner!

Both agents and managers use reporters (and why wouldn’t they) to intentionally float certain information.

Some people forget (intentionally?) this and fall back on “the media is trolling us” or however they choose to word it.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

For those high on Dillon ,

I do not think he will be in this league for more than 3 seasons.

If he comes here , it’s for money that would or should go to Myers ( 2-3m range)

We will get the contract we need from Hroneck , or trade him.   Should bring back a quality return.

Zadorov is a must sign .

Hearing 6m around the league offered.

Surely 5 >5.5m x 6 does it ?

He can get more but it seems his desire is to stay with the Canucks; A big part of our success. Your numbers seem right on to me.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

was there info? not sure EF could hedge that comment any more if he tried. 

I read it as this "final offer deal" wasnt enough to get it done, but Vancouver still has the inside track for a couple more weeks, so you can't close the book

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I read it as this "final offer deal" wasnt enough to get it done, but Vancouver still has the inside track for a couple more weeks, so you can't close the book

So any offer this weekend wasn’t the “final offer” and both sides continue to negotiate. Seems like EF said nothing we didn’t already know. And it’s eerily quiet on the Big Z front from his agent and the Canucks. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I think with a balanced dcore you could pick and choose Hughes's deployment way better. With big bodies like Big Z, Myers, and Soucy, I highly doubt we get "slaughtered". 

Well we had Z, Myers, and Soucy and Hughes got pummeled to the point he was far less effective than in the regular season.

this is how I think we approach the start of the season on Defence.

Hughes   Hroncek 

Zadorov    Willander 

Myers    Dillon 

Jullsen   EPetterson  

I think Willander is ALL IN To make this Squad,   and I Do Not think he will be out of step with his game or develop with THIS coaching staff.  He is fast and smart .

Better  for Willander and EPetterson/ Dman to be with them.

they have both played very well on the World stage.

Monetarily speaking :

Myers:  (34yrs) 2.5 x 2 / tradeable 2nd year

Dillon :  (33yrs) 2.5 x 2 / tradeable 2nd year

Zadorov 5.5 x 6 / tradeable last 2 seasons

Willander. ELC

Petterson  ELC 

Hroneck  Qualifies @ 5.28 m / Arbitrary?

What might be roughly close to 20m for a season 

Dillon Wants to be here.

Myers wants to be here.

Zadorov wants to be here.

Juulsen wants to be here.

Thats a pretty good ( but rough) supporting staff with what we have and a couple of rising stars may make it quite dynamic.

* I try not to get into the overhype of right or left handed..  the game has evolved into roving positions with systems.

Yes,  strong sides for Face Offs ,  but after that “set play”, The game moves rapidly in man coverage and zone coverage.

Hell i forgot about Soucy !!  Lol 

makes it even better to have him !

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I've been hesitant about Elliotte Friedman in the past but respected him... the start of this off-season makes it sound like he watched a Vancouver team that ranked last in the league and are unable to sign anything. I just don't know what I think of Friedman these days.

Funny I was thinking the same. Friedman used to be a reliable source, but now seems to be about as connected as any of the hacks and just speculating. I guess when you have to come up with 30 thoughts you have to start reaching and speculating.

• Vintage 1

5.5 x 6.  
Just get it done. 
Lots of others to worry about.   
He wants to be here.  We want him here. 
Quit fucking around.  
Don’t want us to miss this guy then start crying about how we need big physical dmen with big shots.  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, SilentSam said:

this is how I think we approach the start of the season on Defence.

Hughes   Hroncek 

Zadorov    Willander 

Myers    Dillon 

Jullsen   EPetterson  

I think Willander is ALL IN To make this Squad,   and I Do Not think he will be out of step with his game or develop with THIS coaching staff.  He is fast and smart .

Better  for Willander and EPetterson/ Dman to be with them.

they have both played very well on the World stage.

Monetarily speaking :

Myers:  (34yrs) 2.5 x 2 / tradeable 2nd year

Dillon :  (33yrs) 2.5 x 2 / tradeable 2nd year

Zadorov 5.5 x 6 / tradeable last 2 seasons

Willander. ELC

Petterson  ELC 

Hroneck  Qualifies @ 5.28 m / Arbitrary?

What might be roughly close to 20m for a season 

Dillon Wants to be here.

Myers wants to be here.

Zadorov wants to be here.

Juulsen wants to be here.

Thats a pretty good ( but rough) supporting staff with what we have and a couple of rising stars may make it quite dynamic.

* I try not to get into the overhype of right or left handed..  the game has evolved into roving positions with systems.

Yes,  strong sides for Face Offs ,  but after that “set play”, The game moves rapidly in man coverage and zone coverage.

Willander is not an option as he is not under contract 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Willander is not an option as he is not under contract 

Not that I really care about this part of the conversation in general, but they could like... sign Willander between now and then. I don't really see why someone couldn't add him into future plans just because he doesn't have a contract right now at this very moment. lol

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

That can change with a phone call.  

IMO, he stays in college next year, but not being under contract isn’t the issue 

Yeah that was almost like saying "We shouldn't cook a pancake because we don't have a frying pan out" lol

14 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

5.5 x 6.  
Just get it done. 
Lots of others to worry about.   
He wants to be here.  We want him here. 
Quit fucking around.  
Don’t want us to miss this guy then start crying about how we need big physical dmen with big shots.  

This! It's getting absurd, but I do credit the Canucks for taking the time, while they have the time. 

Let's hope they don't "run out of time"

Such a gambit.

Edited by Western Red
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

IMO, he stays in college next year, but not being under contract isn’t the issue 

Pretty sure Allvin said months ago that Willander was doing another year in College. When he was asked about D Petey, Lekkerimaki and Willander.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

It's not happening 

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Pretty sure Allvin said months ago that Willander was doing another year in College. When he was asked about D Petey, Lekkerimaki and Willander.

.. but a cool 1 meeeeelion dollars could postpone College ??

ferris buellers day off movie quotes GIF

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say EF is a true insider

He is, he's probably one of the more respected hockey media folks too.

Thing is, lot of guys do the speculation nowadays as a way to drive traffic, to drive interest, to provide momentum within their careers. At the end of the day these media pundits are all working jobs, it just looks a bit different for them. I don't really have an issue with it, hockey media has changed over time, but for whatever reason it really gets into the bonnet of some folks. 

Folks don't have to like the speculation, or these sorts giving their opinions on things, and that's fine. But as someone who had free time around the trade deadline, as someone who was repeatedly stalking twitter and hockey socials, Friedman was frequently the guy who got to things first. It's not uncommon for him to speculate on something, or to say something is close, and then for it to come to fruition either. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

I don’t think willander will sign until the end of his ncaa season.. that way he gets to have proper development and also get to burn 1 year off his elc. Most ncaa players either sign as soon as their season is over to likely get the 1 year elc burned or don’t sign at all till end of next ncaa season makes no sense for willander to sign between now and training camp when he could have signed as soon as his ncaa season was over and be 2 years away from getting paid if he was to signed a month ago vs 3 years if he was to sign now. There’s almost 0 incentive for him to sign right now. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He is, he's probably one of the more respected hockey media folks too.

Thing is, lot of guys do the speculation nowadays as a way to drive traffic, to drive interest, to provide momentum within their careers. At the end of the day these media pundits are all working jobs, it just looks a bit different for them. I don't really have an issue with it, hockey media has changed over time, but for whatever reason it really gets into the bonnet of some folks. 

Folks don't have to like the speculation, or these sorts giving their opinions on things, and that's fine. But as someone who had free time around the trade deadline, as someone who was repeatedly stalking twitter and hockey socials, Friedman was frequently the guy who got to things first. It's not uncommon for him to speculate on something, or to say something is close, and then for it to come to fruition either. 

I'd guess he knows Zad has rejected or will reject this latest offer.