[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

when was the last time this guy played over 20+ mins? he average under 20 the last 4 years and 9 out of his last 10 seasons and under 20 for his career

and what’s with the obsession in this city with old aging defenseman.. lol imagine we bring back Myers.. sign tanev and Dillon.. slowest oldest defence core in the league only off set by Hughes age

Its the “canucks curse” talking… he clearly doesnt have our best interests in mind 😄

Edited by 5 min Major
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

when was the last time this guy played over 20+ mins? he average under 20 the last 4 years and 9 out of his last 10 seasons and under 20 for his career

and what’s with the obsession in this city with old aging defenseman.. lol imagine we bring back Myers.. sign tanev and Dillon.. slowest oldest defence core in the league only off set by Hughes age

averaged > 20 min in the playoffs this year 

36 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

go look at Zads' TOI by season as well- its lower than Dillon's

• ThereItIs 1

52 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

33 year old 6'4 225 lb Brendan Dillon who plays 20+ min a night and has similar points as Zadorov 

tbh local boy who I rather have at 3 yrs 2.75 or 2.85 than Zads at >5.25

He's a big boy, but just doesn't fare nearly as well in fights as you'd think he would (or as Zadorov does). 

55 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

33 year old 6'4 225 lb Brendan Dillon who plays 20+ min a night and has similar points as Zadorov 

I doubt Dillon gets a contract that low.  Even a 34 year old Cole got $3 million.  Guys like Gudas, Gudbranson got $4 million...

• ThereItIs 1

JG 9

Bluegger 1.75 x 4

Myers 2.75

Hronek 7.75x 8

Silovs 1

Duhaime 1.5

= Cap space = 26.7, Cap hits above = 23.75

JG Petey Hogz

Duclair Miller Brock

Suter  Bluegger Garland

Murray Aman Duhaime

PDG

Hughes Hronek

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen

That D needs a true no.3

The top 6 need another player 

To CHI

Milky

Podz

= + 5.75

To VAN 

2024 2nd, 3rd

Caps space = 31.25-23.75 = 7.5

Sign Duclair 3 x4 yrs

Sign Zads 4 x 7 yrs 

Sign Brett Murray .75

20 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

averaged > 20 min in the playoffs this year 

lol averaged >20?? he played a total of 3 games ffs.. and he's only over 20mins.. coz their defence is paper thin..outside of their top 3.. they are all at around 15-18mins in the regular season.. and in the playoff they ain't playing their bottom pairing against the mackinnons of the world lol.

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

I've been hesitant about Elliotte Friedman in the past but respected him... the start of this off-season makes it sound like he watched a Vancouver team that ranked last in the league and are unable to sign anything. I just don't know what I think of Friedman these days.

He has made a career out of BS'ing. Good for him but I don't listen that often. The NHL itself love guys like Friedman because he keeps fan interest up. Friedman has zero hockey playing experience which KB3 has demonstrated time and again. Obviously Kevin was told to ease up on embarrassing the guy. 

Bottom line is the HNIC experience has meant far less to me since Cherry was run out of town. The NHL through Cherry under the bus since his leaving would have been condoned by the league. Don is too old now but who could ever think that Don Cherry talking hockey with Kevin Bieksa would not have been a absolute winner. Instead we get Maclean and his sad crew of sycophants. Cherry might have put his foot in his mouth which he did often. He was a + 80 year old man with a hockey pedigree than spanned many decades. A classy org would have let him come back on the TV, apologize, if that what was required, and then gave him a proper send off into retirement. They didn't do that and that is on anyone who sits on the HNIC panel. I don't care if they came on after Cherry left or not.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Pears said:

I'll disagree there. Zads brought us a sense of swagger and toughness our defense hasn't seen in over a decade and really produced in the playoffs. Imo you can't put a price tag on that. 

He most definitely did. I love everything Zadorov brought to Vancouver. I totally want him signed. But as much as everyone likes the player we have to think logically and not with our hearts. He is highly overpaid at 5.5-6 million, no matter how much toughness and swagger he brings. It sucks that we might lose him but Dillon can bring a similar game at half the cost. Remember it is the best team under the cap.

9 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Wel there isn’t an abundance of LHD this free agency let alone ones with big physical profiles like him and Zadorov:

seeing how Dillon had maybe his best year ever I think him going down from I think 3.9M / year to 2.75-2.85 is a stretch. I think the soucy deal would be as low as it goes maybe 3 if he really wanted to play for the Canucks and his hometown.

but I agree if he could be had for approx 60% the cost of Zadorov at half the term it’s a no brainer for me at this point 

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Wel there isn’t an abundance of LHD this free agency let alone ones with big physical profiles like him and Zadorov:

seeing how Dillon had maybe his best year ever I think him going down from I think 3.9M / year to 2.75-2.85 is a stretch. I think the soucy deal would be as low as it goes maybe 3 if he really wanted to play for the Canucks and his hometown.

but I agree if he could be had for approx 60% the cost of Zadorov at half the term it’s a no brainer for me at this point 

Dillon will probably be 80% of the cost of Zadorov.  Like you said, not a lot of great options for LHD this UFA season.  Oddly enough, there's more RHD available.

• Cheers 1

The quiet with just over a week until teams are preparing for Free Agency is a little unsettling but also since the management group has been running things, there is a kind of quiet confidence.

I appreciate that things are sure tightened up in terms of leaking and playing stuff out into the media and I appreciate it more so to see Friedman and Dhaliwal and the like scrambling spinning their wheels making suggestions and guess work as their own reporting while nothing is being leaked. That is nice to see.

I expect to see at least 3 extensions incoming. Blueger, Zadorov, and Myers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The quiet with just over a week until teams are preparing for Free Agency is a little unsettling but also since the management group has been running things, there is a kind of quiet confidence.

I appreciate that things are sure tightened up in terms of leaking and playing stuff out into the media and I appreciate it more so to see Friedman and Dhaliwal and the like scrambling spinning their wheels making suggestions and guess work as their own reporting while nothing is being leaked. That is nice to see.

Great summation of the aforementioned folks. 

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

JR said they don't leak when he spoke last year or so. I believe him. The negotiations are private. If there are real info, it's the player or his agent leaking it to the media.

If nothing by Jun 30 then I will accept that the negotiations are over. 

I’m ok with overpaying a little for known commodity that works vs underpay a little to try something that doesn’t work. If it’s 1 player sure we can gamble.. but we are potentially walking into next year with a defence with just soucy and Hughes returning. Can the Canucks afford to revamp their entire defence core again and trial and error as Hughes Demko boeser gets closer to ufa and miller another year older? Most top teams only pay less than 3 mil combine for their 3rd pairing. A lot of teams bottom 6 cost slightly above 10-12 mil combine. Our bottom 6 2 players alone is already close to 10mil and our bottom pairing is going to be making like 6mil+ trying to cheap out and spread the cap on every single line and pairing and you’ll turn into Carolina good but not good enough 

• Vintage 1

Yeah, stay at home, physical defenders seem to last longer than other players, (see Luke Schenn) but if we're fishing for size and physicality outside of Big Z, I'd prefer someone around 30, rather than 33 or older.

Joel Edmundsen, for instance, makes a bit more sense to me.

That being said, if Dillon were signed for a couple of years as an Ian Cole replacement, I wouldn't have a big problem with it....