[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

41 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, stay at home, physical defenders seem to last longer than other players, (see Luke Schenn) but if we're fishing for size and physicality outside of Big Z, I'd prefer someone around 30, rather than 33 or older.

Joel Edmundsen, for instance, makes a bit more sense to me.

That being said, if Dillon were signed for a couple of years as an Ian Cole replacement, I wouldn't have a big problem with it....

We tried the Ian Cole experiment. Older guy that thought to be capable of playing in the top 4. He was fine until the playoff running out of gas. So we just going to rinse and repeat? Cole was one of if not the worse defenseman on the team this post season 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

We tried the Ian Cole experiment. Older guy that thought to be capable of playing in the top 4. He was fine until the playoff running out of gas. So we just going to rinse and repeat? Cole was one of if not the worse defenseman on the team this post season 

cole's purpose was as sort of a player-coach, someone tocchet could trust implicitly to always convey the proper message and bring the proper work ethic and attitude in the dressing room. 

he filled his role perfectly, and I really don't think there was ever much intention to bring him back beyond this year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

cole's purpose was as sort of a player-coach, someone tocchet could trust implicitly to always convey the proper message and bring the proper work ethic and attitude in the dressing room. 

he filled his role perfectly, and I really don't think there was ever much intention to bring him back beyond this year. 

this. and he arguably played a huge role in Juulsen development.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I'd argue that he had a good series against the Preds. It was the Oilers series where he struggled, but I'm not going to judge the value of any player based on one seven game series.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s Myers we need to save last to sign.

Sign Zadorov 5.5, Guentzel 8.2, Hroneck 5.2(QO), and Dillon 2m.

the rest will fall into place.

Hronek will likely get more in arbitration, no?

Or are you just saying submit the QO and lock him up for at a minimum next year?

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

5 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Or are you just saying submit the QO and lock him up for at a minimum next year?

He will file for arbitration, he'll either by signed or more likely traded before that happens.

42 minutes ago, tas said:

That’s not the point the point is Dillion is going to be filling the same role as a Cole we bringing him in to be a players coach like Cole?

16 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s not the point the point is Dillion is going to be filling the same role as a Cole we bringing him in to be a players coach like Cole?

that wouldn't be the reason to bring dillon in. that would be to have a stable, reliable bottom pairing defenceman with size. 

certainly not my first choice personally but if the canucks lose out on others, he's viable. 

36 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

He just signed (Hroneck).

15 minutes ago, tas said:

that wouldn't be the reason to bring dillon in. that would be to have a stable, reliable bottom pairing defenceman with size. 

certainly not my first choice personally but if the canucks lose out on others, he's viable. 

So once again we are paying over 6 mil for our bottom pairing when most team pays only 2-3 mil. How much is Florida bottom 2? 1-1.5? Even if u don’t count OEL? That’s why it feels like we have no money for the top 6 or the middle pairings coz we like to dump all our money in the bottom 6 and bottom pairing compared to the league 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

So once again we are paying over 6 mil for our bottom pairing when most team pays only 2-3 mil. How much is Florida bottom 2? 1-1.5? Even if u don’t count OEL? That’s why it feels like we have no money for the top 6 or the middle pairings coz we like to dump all our money in the bottom 6 and bottom pairing compared to the league 

every team is built differently. I'm not concerned about it. I'm concerned about assembling the best team possible, not having the tidiest looking balance sheet. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

every team is built differently. I'm not concerned about it. I'm concerned about assembling the best team possible, not having the tidiest looking balance sheet. 

Sure but what team in recent memory made the finals coz they spread the cap down the lineup and have a bottom 6 and bottom pairing that’s paid well above the league average? None? Maybe St. Louis? Most if not all teams that makes the final are usually top loaded in terms of cap allocation and have bottom 6 bottom pairing play above their cap hit. Not bottom players paid above the league normal performing just at their cap hit

Edited by wai_lai416