[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's really quiet, and neither party has leaked that a deal won't be done before July 1st.  Tells me the Canucks are working really hard to try and make it happen.  I honestly think they're trying to unload Mikheyev right now to guarantee the cap space available.

Did you hit the Hronek contract prediction? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's really quiet, and neither party has leaked that a deal won't be done before July 1st.  Tells me the Canucks are working really hard to try and make it happen.  I honestly think they're trying to unload Mikheyev right now to guarantee the cap space available.

If that happens I'll be reaaally interestd in seeing what the cost ultimately is 

Mikheyev eats up a not insignificant amount of space 

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Big D men who have his skill and coordination last a long time .

im fine with his Contract going to 36 years

with clauses.

We'll probbably just have to agree to disagree, I don't really view Zadorov as a skill guy 

His bread and butter is playing steady defense, providing a physical element, and providing an intimidation factor 

Any offense from him is likely complimentary the way Myer's offense is complimentary, if his track record over the past three years is anything to go off he probably offers up 20ish points 

I'm not opposed to retaining him, I'd just prefer the term to be medium term as opposed to long term 

23 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

At 3:16 mark.  

They could trade 2025 or 2026 picks to CAR instead of this year and then they get JG can lower the AAV with 8 yrs and they buy time now to figure out ZADS and the rest of their UFAs well in advance of the free agency opening, so they buy time and flexibility which is ....priceless...

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If that happens I'll be reaaally interestd in seeing what the cost ultimately is 

Mikheyev eats up a not insignificant amount of space 

We'll probbably just have to agree to disagree, I don't really view Zadorov as a skill guy 

His bread and butter is playing steady defense, providing a physical element, and providing an intimidation factor 

Any offense from him is likely complimentary the way Myer's offense is complimentary, if his track record over the past three years is anything to go off he probably offers up 20ish points 

I'm not opposed to retaining him, I'd just prefer the term to be medium term as opposed to long term 

Well if 8 pts in 13 playoff games dosent add to his “steady defense, providing a physical element, and providing an intimidation factor” .   I don’t know what to say.

Yes , I definitely agree to disagree with you.

Staff took the reigns off him so he could show what he had been saying all along with every other team he’d been with.

He wasn’t getting the opportunities anywhere else.

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Well if 8 pts in 13 playoff games dosent add to his “steady defense, providing a physical element, and providing an intimidation factor” .   I don’t know what to say.

Yes , I definitely agree to disagree with you.

Staff took the reigns off him so he could show what he had been saying all along with every other team he’d been with.

He wasn’t getting the opportunities anywhere else.

He's going to be entering his age 29-30 reason and doesn't have a track record of being that sort of defenseman at the NHL level. Maybe he's found another gear, or maybe he's just a player who had a fantastic playoff showing, wouldn't be the first. We'll see, but I'm not expecting him to regularly put up an 8 point in 13 game pace going forward. 

His ice time during his tenure in Calgary regularly had him playing as a 5D, but Calgary has also had a better defense (outside of our high end in Hughes) over the past few years. So yeah, he may very well get a larger opportunity here given our top 4 has more openings, but I'm not expecting him to suddenly transform into an offensive dynamo. 

If I were to be optimistic I'd say maybe he could hit 25-30 points depending on how he's deployed, which would be very welcome. But I'm expecting the Hughes and Hronek will probably get the lions share of offensive opportunities. I'm hoping management finds a way to add another top 4RD via UFA, that could eat into offensive opportunities as well.

We'll see. 

31 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

They could trade 2025 or 2026 picks to CAR instead of this year and then they get JG can lower the AAV with 8 yrs and they buy time now to figure out ZADS and the rest of their UFAs well in advance of the free agency opening, so they buy time and flexibility which is ....priceless...

Acquiring a player’s rights does not activate the 8th year option. Only Carolina can add it and do a sign and trade. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

If Zadorov was 35 years old right now, how much would we be willing to pay him to play 3rd pair duties?  Probably a bit more than Ian Cole was paid I'm guessing?  So $3.5Mish?  That's in an $83.5M upper cap limit world.  What does that translate to in 6 years when Zadorov is actually 35yo?

Assuming a 3% increase in the upper cap limit each year... $102M will be the upper limit 6 years from now.  The equivalent of that $3.5M cap hit would be $4.27M.

So if Zadorov's cap hit is $5M... he would technically be overpaid by $730k in 6 years time.  Could we live with that?  Or could we retain $500k and trade him?  Most likely. 

Let's get this done at $5M x 6 !

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

It's interesting that everywhere I go online Canucks related, everyone seems to be united in that we need to bring Zad back. 

I mean, for years we've been patient listening to how we need to get bigger, need more pushback, and we need to be "harder to play against". 

That player is here. Let's go!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, NoCupSyndrome said:

C'mon, find that middle ground!

Both sides wanna get it done.

The fact that he says they’re willing to be patient tells me management might be trying to get something else done before they know exactly how much cap they have.

• Cheers 2

I'm starting to warm up to giving Zadorov a little bit more money if management is confident they can pick up a complimentary player in free agency. Zadorov playing more minutes means more Myers-like gaffs, but pairing him with a mobile defensively sound partner could offset them.

Sign Zadorov to $5.25M x 6 years. Then bring in Matt Roy at $5.75M x 5 years. They could be a fantastic minute-munching shutdown pairing which then allows us to run Hughes-Hronek as an offensive pairing. For a more budget-friendly UFA option, Sean Walker is a fantastic skater and has been solid defensively throughout his career. Maybe $4.5M x 3 years and he becomes a placeholder for Willander.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting that everywhere I go online Canucks related, everyone seems to be united in that we need to bring Zad back. 

I mean, for years we've been patient listening to how we need to get bigger, need more pushback, and we need to be "harder to play against". 

That player is here. Let's go!

Thet's exactly it... we've complained ever since 2012 that we are soft (maybe even before that) that we have no size and pushback on the back end... lets not f this up and go back down that road... especially when the player really wants to be here...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Acquiring a player’s rights does not activate the 8th year option. Only Carolina can add it and do a sign and trade. 

I've been wondering about this. I figured if they attain the player's rights, then they can sign the max eight years. 

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thet's exactly it... we've complained ever since 2012 that we are soft (maybe even before that) that we have no size and pushback on the back end... lets not f this up and go back down that road... especially when the player really wants to be here...

Absolutely agree. He's a culture carrier and leader from that physical pushback place. He's what we've needed for ages. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Harvey Specter said:

Hmmm... 😏

This is exactly why we need to get Big Z signed. Flames are still our rivals, and while they won’t necessarily be hard to beat on the scoreboard in the regular season, they’ll be sure to goon it up against us every chance they get. When 6”6 Bahl crushes one of our stars, who is going to do anything about it? (Hint, it’s not Hronek.) 

Sign Zadorov!

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just gotta be careful that you're not too patient on your ask. Cause the Canucks have cheaper options come July 1st. A lot of us would love to bring in Dillon to replace Zads. I really, really want Zadorov back. We'll see what happens though. He likes the team and we love him. Don't chase 6mil or anything crazy.

• Like 1