[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Friedman was saying that teams are looking to give UFA's the Orlov offer, more money to cut down the term. He mentions Calgary and Utah possibly going this route, but I wonder if that may also be true in the case of Zadorov. 23:30. https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-marek-show/the-latest-with-elliotte-friedman-breaking-down-the-blockbusters/

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Friedman was saying that teams are looking to give UFA's the Orlov offer, more money to cut down the term. He mentions Calgary and Utah possibly going this route, but I wonder if that may also be true in the case of Zadorov. 23:30. https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-marek-show/the-latest-with-elliotte-friedman-breaking-down-the-blockbusters/

I hope at the next cba they put a limit on contracts at 5 years .........they won't, but it'd be better for the league, imo

• Like 2

Just now, stawns said:

I hope at the next cba they put a limit on contracts at 5 years .........they won't, but it'd be better for the league, imo

I remember around the time of the '05 lockout, nazzy was extending at around the same time and his 3 year deal was "long term" by the standards of the day. 

a few years later and we have guys signing 14 year deals. 

wild. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

How about 5 years as a UFA but allow 8 still for retaining players?  Reward developing talent while cutting down on the brutal UFA deals.  Would also likely result in more trades for a player's rights at this time of year.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

GM's don't want to be saved from themselves 

9 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

It's the owners that negotiate the cba though.  That said I think the PA would fight against it 

True enough, shorter term caps don't benefit the players

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

big Z might be the outlier, it really sounded like he wants term. Dude's looking for a home to play out the rest of his career, it seems to me. 

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

big Z might be the outlier, it really sounded like he wants term. Dude's looking for a home to play out the rest of his career, it seems to me. 

And it sounds like he wants that home to be Vancouver. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Term may be the issue, depending on just how much he wants

I do wonder if the Canucks would prefer less term than Zadorov

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Term may be the issue, depending on just how much he wants

I do wonder if the Canucks would prefer less term than Zadorov

I kind of think thats the holdup. Personally I think maintaining the culture is worth the extra year or two. We've seen so many times what happens when a team loses its culture, like when Benning let all those key players walk. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I kind of think thats the holdup. Personally I think maintaining the culture is worth the extra year or two. We've seen so many times what happens when a team loses its culture, like when Benning let all those key players walk. 

Exactly. While term and salary are of the utmost importance, the unity and solidarity of the roster is of equal importance, as that will figure into what the team can do throughout the season, especially in the playoffs. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Odds are they do want to keep him, but it's not just about what Zadorov wants 

This is why they get paid the big bucks, managing term matters, sometimes it doesn't work out

Sometimes it does, which is which depends on both sides

At the end of the day the culture is built by the group

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Rumour is a $6M x 6 might be the going rate for Zadorov on the open market.  That's $36M.

Give Zadorov an 8 year deal at $4.75M AAV... that's $38M total and buys him the security when he's at the end of his career.

If the cap goes up by about 3% each year for the next 8 years, it will be $108M.

$4.75M at a $108M upper limit is equivalent mathematically to $3.67M with an $83.5M upper limit.  I think we could live with that if he was a 3rd pairing defencemen.

• ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And players are the product

They are, but they don't take the risk financially.  To me, it's looks very bad on the league with all these long term deals that don't age well and then get bought out

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

They are, but they don't take the risk financially.  To me, it's looks very bad on the league with all these long term deals that don't age well and then get bought out

Who does it look bad on exactly other than future prospective billionaire investors in a franchise?

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This ,  his next contract will be a medium risk / high reward for any team that signs him..  perhaps a lower risk for us.

Every contract is a risk..

This player projects far more trajectory in positive progress than declination .

This might be the next best contract we’ve signed  after JT for overall value , for a player going into prime years.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This ,  his next contract will be a medium risk / high reward for any team that signs him..  perhaps a lower risk for us.

Every contract is a risk..

This player projects far more trajectory in positive progress than declination .

This might be the next best contract we’ve signed  after JT for overall value , for a player going into prime years.

And both contributed to the actually hard to play against edge that the Canucks have taken on.