[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

15 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Who doesn't like Vancouver?

People who don't.

Guess what? They exist.

Just like people who don't like Toronto exist (and the majority live here), don't like New York exist, Dubuque, Cork, and numerous other places. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

IMHO lock up the D and then spread the available funds over a number of forwards...I think there will be some solid players looking for prove me deals when all the dust settles. Van will be desirable after the boost the team gave DJ, Blueger, Lindholm, etc.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Big Z and Joshua did a lot to define this team last year and we wouldn't be as good without them.  I get that we can't overpay them and that Petey needs a suitable winger.  But Zadorov + Joshua + Duclair (or similar) gives more bang for the buck than Guentzel + spare parts.  The bet has to be that in a couple of years, Lekkerimaki becomes something close to Guentzel.  Meanwhile, let's maintain the team's tougher identity.

This 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People who don't.

Guess what? They exist.

Just like people who don't like Toronto exist (and the majority live here), don't like New York exist, Dubuque, Cork, and numerous other places. 

It's a big tapestry this would of ours.

I love living in my concrete box downtown, but I don't need everyone to.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Same here except I live on the Island now.  Loved Vancouver growing up there in the 60s and 70s but not so much now. 

When I get off the ferry at Nanaimo and hit the 19, a weight is lifted. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Same here except I live on the Island now.  Loved Vancouver growing up there in the 60s and 70s but not so much now. 

Vancouver back several decades ago was such an amazing place.  Wish Expo 86 never happened even though I had a great time there. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, HKSR said:

Vancouver back several decades ago was such an amazing place.  Wish Expo 86 never happened even though I had a great time there. 

Bang-on.  Something got lost on the way to becoming a "world-class city".  It was a better place when working class people weren't pushed out to the periphery and there was still unionized seasonal work.  Not an issue for players making millions of dollars a year, but it changed the tone of the place for the worse.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agreed. 

Luvafair, the Town Pump, Richards on Richards, the Palladium.

Vong's Chinese Kitchen, Carlos and Buds, Le Crocodile, Bishops (maybe some of those are still around, but I highly doubt it.)

A&B Sound. Not Just Another Music Shop. The Aristocrat, The Sick and Twisted film festival at the Ridge.

The Capitol 6 and Granville 7. 

I walked down Granville a month ago, and it was legitimately depressing to see and smell what it's become. Reeked of urine. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Bang-on.  Something got lost on the way to becoming a "world-class city".  It was a better place when working class people weren't pushed out to the periphery and there was still unionized seasonal work.  Not an issue for players making millions of dollars a year, but it changed the tone of the place for the worse for you. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. 

Luvafair, the Town Pump, Richards on Richards, the Palladium.

Vong's Chinese Kitchen, Carlos and Buds, Le Crocodile, Bishops (maybe some of those are still around, but I highly doubt it.)

A&B Sound. Not Just Another Music Shop. The Aristocrat, The Sick and Twisted film festival at the Ridge.

The Capitol 6 and Granville 7. 

I walked down Granville a month ago, and it was legitimately depressing to see and smell what it's become. Reeked of urine. 

Oh man those are some names from the past.... miss them.  Especially A&B Sound!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

JR   ,  is expecting Lettermaki to make a very good push for the. big Club.

watching him over these last Country representations ,   I think he makes it .

I'd be pleasantly shocked... he has played 6 games in North America....

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'll freely admit that.  Other people will come at it from different trajectories and experience it on different terms.  More power to them.  But certain changes did objectively happen and the social consequences are undeniable. 

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh man those are some names from the past.... miss them.  Especially A&B Sound!

Different sections of the store dedicated to different music. The one on Seymour was amazing. Marine too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'll freely admit that.  Other people will come at it from different trajectories and experience it on different terms.  More power to them.  But certain changes did objectively happen and the social consequences are undeniable. 

sure, some not so good, others really good. It happens everywhere, unless you live on a compound somewhere.

I'd never live on the Island, but I don't need to shit on it either. It's just not for me. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People who don't.

Guess what? They exist.

as a person who spent the first 2/3 of his life in the fraser valley and the most recent 1/3 somewhere far worse, I deeply regret not taking full advantage of being an hour away from van for so long. now I jump at every opportunity I can to go there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

sure, some not so good, others really good. It happens everywhere, unless you live on a compound somewhere.

I'd never live on the Island, but I don't need to shit on it either. It's just not for me. 

All good.  I'd never want to shit on Vancouver, it's just not the same place I once loved.  Things change, like you say.  At least I know my way around when I visit!

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

JR   ,  is expecting Lettermaki to make a very good push for the. big Club.

watching him over these last Country representations ,   I think he makes it .

I still have my doubts he'll make the jump right away, physically hes still pretty small, he'll be too easy to push around