[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

JR   ,  is expecting Lettermaki to make a very good push for the. big Club.

watching him over these last Country representations ,   I think he makes it .

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Guentzel* - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland

Motte/Blais* - Åman - Duhaime*

Sounds good to me. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd be pleasantly shocked... he has played 6 games in North America....

I'll be shocked for the same reason. 

Can't see it. They haven't been rushing guys into the league. 

Unless he's undeniably next level in camp. 

• Like 1

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

I still have my doubts he'll make the jump right away, physically hes still pretty small, he'll be too easy to push around

That's the crucial thing right there.  He'll spend the next year mostly or entirely in Abby trying to build up and gaining experience in how to play his game while being small in a physical league.  It won't happen right away.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

its gotten expensive here no doubt, but i think along the way we've also had expectation inflation

my wife and i live a great life here in the city, but we had to sacrifice having a detatched home to do it. 1000 sqft+ can still be had for around 800k in vancouver proper, and 100-200k less in the suburbs 30mins away. We didn't buy that long ago (within the past couple years) and manage to do it on 2x middle class incomes. We have left over income to travel and 1 car between us. 

everytime ive traveled, ive realized that the vast majority of people in the world live this way. 1000sqft is more space than avg people raise a family of 4 in in major european cities. These 2500sqft+ detatched homes are a north american phenomenon that i personally feel have contributed to the decline of community and culture. 

yea the price of dirt here is expensive, but the price of dirt in (in my opinion) far inferior cities like Calgary has also jumped like crazy, and the difference is no longer so big. 

Many of my neighbors in my building are working class people as well, and its actually really nice to have communal spaces to meet them, say hi to them in the parkade when i get home from work, and run into them in the grocery store 🙂

Based on our evolutionary trajectory, I do wonder if a great collapse may occur based on primate social proclivity topping out around 100 individuals.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Based on our evolutionary trajectory, I do wonder if a great collapse may occur based on primate social proclivity topping out around 100 individuals.  

i think the single biggest risk is probably a population that just ages out with not enough kids

its why i agree with some form of UBI going into the AI/robotics-enhanced-productivity age. Give people back some of their time without having to hustle to try to meet basic needs, and im thinking people start having more kids again. i like how new communities are being developed too, compact with multiple shared spaces, very thoughtfully and walkable to key services. 

8 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i think the single biggest risk is probably a population that just ages out with not enough kids

Maybe that's nature's design.

its why i agree with some form of UBI going into the AI/robotics-enhanced-productivity age.

This would create a dependent populace, which is not the best idea. 

Give people back some of their time without having to hustle to try to meet basic needs,

Why is time the governments to give in the first place? And the hustle to meet basic needs has been partially tailored by the governments that overtax the populace.

and im thinking people start having more kids again.

That is a choice those people make. Maybe there are more fatalists who only seek their own existence and care not for the future.

i like how new communities are being developed too, compact with multiple shared spaces, very thoughtfully and walkable to key services. 

Bugs Insects GIF by The Guardian

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'll be shocked for the same reason. 

Can't see it. They haven't been rushing guys into the league. 

Unless he's undeniably next level in camp. 

what i found interesting is that this is the first time JR or PA have indicated a young player may be ready for the NHL. for all our other prospects they've always said there's no rush and need to spend time in the AHL.

they've always been honest and upfront so if JR is saying publicly that Lek could challenge for a spot than I think it's a real possibility if he ends up having a good training camp.

I'm guessing PA and JR are counting on at least 7 of the roster spots being taken up by ELC or ELC-Like contracts... Friedman, PDG, Aman, Podz, Bains, Raty, Lek, Karlsson, Sasson.

It'll be a big camp for the prospects and i think there will be opportunity 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Guentzel* - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Podkolzin - Blueger - Garland

Motte/Blais* - Åman - Duhaime*

Sounds good to me. 

Guentzel - Pettersson - Hoglander

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Heinen - Blueger - Garland

Duhaime - Stenlund - Podkolzin

This would be my lineup, would have to change it if we can sign Zadorov.

I realise that it's not that long before the trade deadline, but it's too early to tell still.

In fact, it's going to be too early to tell until the actual trade deadline.

Even then, if he doesn't sign with another team right away, it'll STILL be too early to tell! lol

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Rumour is a $6M x 6 might be the going rate for Zadorov on the open market.  That's $36M.

Give Zadorov an 8 year deal at $4.75M AAV... that's $38M total and buys him the security when he's at the end of his career.

If the cap goes up by about 3% each year for the next 8 years, it will be $108M.

$4.75M at a $108M upper limit is equivalent mathematically to $3.67M with an $83.5M upper limit.  I think we could live with that if he was a 3rd pairing defencemen.

I don't think the "we'll pay you less per game for longer for only slightly more total dollars" has the appeal younthinknit does.  You're essentially asking the player to take a haircut on the aav and play for longer to get the same end result.  How would you react if you were asking 6x6 and the boss said we'll give you an extra 2 million but you have to play 164 more games to get it ? 

2 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't think the "we'll pay you less per game for longer for only slightly more total dollars" has the appeal younthinknit does.  You're essentially asking the player to take a haircut on the aav and play for longer to get the same end result.  How would you react if you were asking 6x6 and the boss said we'll give you an extra 2 million but you have to play 164 more games to get it ? 

It's guaranteed.  If he sucks, he still gets it.  The gamble for him is whether or not he will get any more playing time after 35yo.  An 8 year deal guarantees him basically an extra $1M each year after that.