[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't think the "we'll pay you less per game for longer for only slightly more total dollars" has the appeal younthinknit does.  You're essentially asking the player to take a haircut on the aav and play for longer to get the same end result.  How would you react if you were asking 6x6 and the boss said we'll give you an extra 2 million but you have to play 164 more games to get it ? 

I don't think you can underestimate the guaranteed-money effect.

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's guaranteed.  If he sucks, he still gets it.  The gamble for him is whether or not he will get any more playing time after 35yo.  An 8 year deal guarantees him basically an extra $1M each year after that.

Ts only guaranteed if he plays until hes 37 or e ds up on LTIR) And its only $2m more.  That's it.  Hrs getting paid less per game and has to play 164 extra games. So you're essentially asking him to take a pay cut and telling him if he wants tge whole nut he's gotta make it to 37 .  The only entity this benefits is Vancouver 

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Ts only guaranteed if he plays until hes 37 or e ds up on LTIR) And its only $2m more.  That's it.  Hrs getting paid less per game and has to play 164 extra games. So you're essentially asking him to take a pay cut and telling him if he wants tge whole nut he's gotta make it to 37 .  The only entity this benefits is Vancouver 

How? Like I said, whether or not he's still capable of playing, he gets his extra $2M.  There's no gamble there for him.  He either goes on LTIR or he sits in the press box while collecting the extra $2M.

He can certainly take $2M less to earn more per game for the next 6 years, but his career may be done after 6 years.  Then an extra 164 games or not, he's not getting anything more.  

8 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Other than the fact he's been actually reported to be saying he's will to take that cut to stay in Van because his family loves it there... So not sure why you got your panties in a bunch? He's legitimately willing to take that cut for a longer contract bud lmao?! 

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Other than the fact he's been actually reported to be saying he's will to take that cut to stay in Van because his family loves it there... So not sure why you got your panties in a bunch? He's legitimately willing to take that cut for a longer contract bud lmao?! 

He's willing to take less than he'd get on the open market. That doesn't mean he's going to take SUBSTANTIALLY  less 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How? Like I said, whether or not he's still capable of playing, he gets his extra $2M.  There's no gamble there for him.  He either goes on LTIR or he sits in the press box while collecting the extra $2M.

He can certainly take $2M less to earn more per game for the next 6 years, but his career may be done after 6 years.  Then an extra 164 games or not, he's not getting anything more.  

You haven't factored in the co tract variability rules.  He CANT MAKE less than 60% of the highest year in any year. So let's say you're front loading it so he makes $6m in any of the first 6 years.  He couldn't make less than $3.6m in the final 2 years 

35 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If PA can move Ilya, then getting Z signed is more likely.  

Nah. Big Z is getting signed either way. 

Mikheyev would be moved for room for forward upgrade 

8 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

He's willing to take less than he'd get on the open market. That doesn't mean he's going to take SUBSTANTIALLY  less 

We’re not signing Zadorov to an 8 year deal. He’ll get 6 years. Open market is $6 million. He’ll take less to stay. I think the deal gets done at around $5 million. Give or take. His wife has literally told him to sign in Vancouver. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We’re not signing Zadorov to an 8 year deal. He’ll get 6 years. Open market is $6 million. He’ll take less to stay. I think the deal gets done at around $5 million. Give or take. His wife has literally told him to sign in Vancouver. 

where did you get this?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if he was willing to sign for that it would already be done 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Check my username.  😎

I’m already on record as saying Zadorov is 100% re-signing in Vancouver. I said this before Elliotte Friedman did. Check my previous posts in this thread from Monday. 

image.gif.c75577bae91c89a8363e03317797819e.gif

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

What does "Oilers Now" mean?  Does this mean the Oilers are going after Zadorov? I don't see anything regarding the Canucks.

oilers now is a podcast (or equivalent) which is presumably the source of this friedman quote. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

You haven't factored in the co tract variability rules.  He CANT MAKE less than 60% of the highest year in any year. So let's say you're front loading it so he makes $6m in any of the first 6 years.  He couldn't make less than $3.6m in the final 2 years 

A contract in place means he will be paid that amount regardless of what his performance is.  It doesn't need to be front loaded.  You're mixing up cap hit with actual salary paid.  If his contract is $38M over 8 years, he WILL be paid $38M over 8 years.  If he's being paid $36M over 6 years, he WILL be paid $36M over 6 years... we just don't know what happens after those 6 years.  The 8 year deal guarantees him that extra $2M.

11 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

What does "Oilers Now" mean?  Does this mean the Oilers are going after Zadorov? I don't see anything regarding the Canucks.

flopping over to “next topic” in the recording/ interview.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

A contract in place means he will be paid that amount regardless of what his performance is.  It doesn't need to be front loaded.  You're mixing up cap hit with actual salary paid.  If his contract is $38M over 8 years, he WILL be paid $38M over 8 years.  If he's being paid $36M over 6 years, he WILL be paid $36M over 6 years... we just don't know what happens after those 6 years.  The 8 year deal guarantees him that extra $2M.

Only if he plays, or goes on LTIR.  What if he's like Luongo and decides at 36 he doesn't want to go through the vigors of 2 more nhl seasons but he's locked in to plsyingbthem if he wants his money.