[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

Sounds like it will get done 

on the other hand 

if Canucks think they can move milky without a sweetener it would have happened by now 

when the agent has to get involved it’s not a good sign 

More likely retention as a sweetener I think

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We’re not signing Zadorov to an 8 year deal. He’ll get 6 years. Open market is $6 million. He’ll take less to stay. I think the deal gets done at around $5 million. Give or take. His wife has literally told him to sign in Vancouver. 

Get his wife to sign !

She can write Nik into a pre - nup agreement.!!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Check my username.  😎

I’m already on record as saying Zadorov is 100% re-signing in Vancouver. I said this before Elliotte Friedman did. Check my previous posts in this thread from Monday. 

Can I borrow a small $116,000, Elias?

• Haha 2

Just now, SilentSam said:

Get his wife to sign !

Sure sounds like Big Z’s wife and kids want to be here. If he moves on he’s going to have a very unhappy family. 

• chaos 1

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

He said almost the exact same thing a week or two ago.

No he said he “dosent know anything “,

meaning if it would get worked out .

now he’s saying it’s more than likely 

or probable.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A contract in place means he will be paid that amount regardless of what his performance is.  It doesn't need to be front loaded.  You're mixing up cap hit with actual salary paid.  If his contract is $38M over 8 years, he WILL be paid $38M over 8 years.  If he's being paid $36M over 6 years, he WILL be paid $36M over 6 years... we just don't know what happens after those 6 years.  The 8 year deal guarantees him that extra $2M.

That’s not true. He could get bought out at any time for 2/3’s of what’s left of the contract. Or he could simply retire and walk away. 8 years is a long time. At 6 years he could still play and get a new contract if he wants to continue playing. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

No he said he “dosent know anything “,

meaning if it would get worked out .

now he’s saying it’s more than likely 

or probable.

Did he say more than likely or probable in the full quote? Because the one you posted he did not say any of that.

34 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hmmm ..

Sounds hopeful. I’m guessing Big Z has agreed to a total dollar (36 mil?) and now it’s about the term. F it. Go 7 years and get the cap where we need it to be. Go eight years if we have to. Sign this guy! MOFUs!!!! 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Let’s put it this way,  we might be concerned with what Niks contract looks like now,.  But in another year or 2 .. and On, I think we realize what he allowed the Team to do with a Term contract that did not hurt them.

I hope , with Niks play,  that we realize how grateful we are that he was looking for a true home here ,  and a Team he could call his at the end of his Career.

Fingers Crossed .

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

And then in between that. “They are far apart and won’t resign”

There isn’t an insider inside enough to be able to report anything with any level of accuracy.

What purpose does it serve the negotiating parties to have inside information made public? Does anyone honestly think that individuals dealing with tens of millions of dollars are going to be influenced by what is being reported by these insiders? 

I’d prefer if the entire roster of insiders were referred to by what they are : speculators.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Get his wife to sign !

It’s his wife’s money regardless if she signs or not. 

The wifey and the kids aren’t leaving Vancouver. That’s guaranteed. So Big Z either signs here or goes elsewhere without his family. This is what I was told. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Sign his wife

Might be a circumstance where his wife and kids choose to live here regardless of where he signs. They might insist he signs here or commutes. Can’t blame them. We leave in the best city on the planet. 

13 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Only if he plays, or goes on LTIR.  What if he's like Luongo and decides at 36 he doesn't want to go through the vigors of 2 more nhl seasons but he's locked in to plsyingbthem if he wants his money. 

He can play like absolute crap and still get paid.  In fact, he could play so badly that he sits in the press box or gets demoted, he still gets paid.  

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

He can play like absolute crap and still get paid.  In fact, he could play so badly that he sits in the press box or gets demoted, he still gets paid.  

Or he gets bought out. It's not nearly as cut and dry as you think 

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s not true. He could get bought out at any time for 2/3’s of what’s left of the contract. Or he could simply retire and walk away. 8 years is a long time. At 6 years he could still play and get a new contract if he wants to continue playing. 

He could get bought out either way.  2/3 of $2M is still an extra $1.2M.  Then he's free to get another contract after that the same option he'd have with the 6 year deal.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s his wife’s money regardless if she signs or not. 

The wifey and the kids aren’t leaving Vancouver. That’s guaranteed. So Big Z either signs here or goes elsewhere without his family. This is what I was told. 

Uh. Dare I ask how you’re sure of this in particular? 

Or you could transfer me the cool 116K and I’ll buy it.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Might be a circumstance where his wife and kids choose to live here regardless of where he signs. They might insist he signs here or commutes. Can’t blame them. We leave in the best city on the planet. 

Big Z has played for 5 teams. The wife and kids are sick of moving. Her favourite city is Vancouver. So she’s staying here regardless. And his daughters too. 

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1