[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He could get bought out either way.  2/3 of $2M is still an extra $1.2M.  Then he's free to get another contract after that the same option he'd have with the 6 year deal.

If he’s getting bought out it’s probably because he is playing like shit. So there’s no guarantee he gets another contract. 

The point is the contract is not fully guaranteed because of the buyout option. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

If he’s getting bought out it’s probably because he is playing like shit. So there’s no guarantee he gets another contract. 

The point is the contract is not fully guaranteed because of the buyout option. 

Reality is most of the contracts nowadays are heavily laden with signing bonuses.  A buyout would barely make any difference for cash in hand for Zadorov if the majority of it is all signing bonuses.

Being bought out doesn't always mean he's playing like shit either.  Could very well mean he's just playing below his worth in terms of cap hit (ie. OEL).  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Uh. Dare I ask how you’re sure of this in particular? 

Or you could transfer me the cool 116K and I’ll buy it.

$116k?  Dude that is a lot of Swedish meatballs and IKEA furniture!!!  

You don’t need to buy it. Just remember me when he signs here.  😊

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

He's willing to take less than he'd get on the open market. That doesn't mean he's going to take SUBSTANTIALLY  less 

I'm simply laughing at the fact you were trying to make paying him x dollars over Y years vs same in shorter time in fewer games. 

When he's clearly stated he will do just that to stay in Van. Term over $. Means he would take X $ over 6/7 years vs the same in 5 on the open market lol if the X games played is more he's said he want stability over that $ amount lol . 

Edited by Rick_theRyper

1 minute ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I'm simply laughing at the fact you were trying to make paying him x dollars over Y years vs same in shorter time in fewer games. 

When he's clearly stated he will do just that to stay in Van. Term over $. Means he would take X $ over 6/7 years vs the same in 5 on the open market lol if the X games played is more he's said he want stability over that $ amount lol . 

If you say so. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Big Z has played for 5 teams. The wife and kids are sick of moving. Her favourite city is Vancouver. So she’s staying here regardless. And his daughters too. 

Dayam, what did you guys have for dinner last night?  Are the girls still in dance classes?  How is school going for them?

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Sounds like it will get done 

on the other hand 

if Canucks think they can move milky without a sweetener it would have happened by now 

when the agent has to get involved it’s not a good sign 

agents have different connections and relationships with managers, it just represents a different dynamic I think. he can explain where mik is at, healthwise and mentally, how he's feeling, and can explain what went wrong last year from the player's perspective. it gives potential acquiring teams a chance to gain a little more insight and perhaps helps them trust a bit more and feel more comfortable taking on the player.  

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s his wife’s money regardless if she signs or not. 

The wifey and the kids aren’t leaving Vancouver. That’s guaranteed. So Big Z either signs here or goes elsewhere without his family. This is what I was told. 

love it!

actually , this is sounding ( without hearing much) more and more like how JT was announced to be staying .

Both man and wife openly stated they want to be here.

…..  I want to give a lot of the credit to our renewed and energized fans !!

That was some lights out cheering folks!

KEEP BRINGING YOUR A” GAME ! 

Vancouver Canucks Towel GIF by TheMacnabs

… and never let those referees off the hook! 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

love it!

actually , this is sounding ( without hearing much) more and more like how JT was announced to be staying .

We did it Sam.  We finally got our Nikita!!!!   🥰

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We did it Sam.  We finally got our Nikita!!!!   🥰

Damn ..,  what If ??

JamieBenn and  EKane would say ..

twinning oh my god GIF by Kim's Convenience

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

love it!

I totally agree a player stating they want to play here says a lot and I really don't need to hear much more then that. If you are like Bo, you can go! 😀

I second the praise for the loud fans too, loved it! 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

love it!

Imagine playing in a city and having random public all over the city pleading for you to stay... surely that has had an impact on him and his family.

• Cheers 2

If we want to Compare Zadorov to anyone playing the game that signed a contract at 30yrs or younger..  sort of “same game/ player”.

(I think Nik is more physically dominant)

0576BA97-8045-46BE-8BB4-44642BBFEB36.thumb.jpeg.6c4cdc1633d4776974542f46dda934f9.jpeg909B6ECF-2116-4F95-B349-85A63ECA51B2.thumb.jpeg.e9e34ffd0bca5e7c6402c6aad028af7c.jpeg

shocked gary vaynerchuk GIF

Thor Vikings GIF by THE BEARD STRUGGLE

make the call !

Edited by SilentSam

Signing Zad is a non issue.

image.thumb.png.a768c8adfb299f355df6df1aa77f50e5.png

If they buy out Mik or find a dance partner they should have 5-8 mill left over. Or even run Mik and still have cap flex sending Karlsson down to add a guy around 2-3m. If we carry a little cap into the dl maybe they take a big swing. This group alone could likely get us in a wild card. 

The question is do they upgrage Beluger at 3C and bump him or say Boyd to 4C, and add a top 6 fwd. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Signing Zad is a non issue.

image.thumb.png.a768c8adfb299f355df6df1aa77f50e5.png

If they buy out Mik or find a dance partner they should have 5-8 mill left over. Or even run Mik and still have cap flex sending Karlsson down to add a guy around 2-3m. If we carry a little cap into the dl maybe they take a big swing. This group alone could likely get us in a wild card. 

The question is do they upgrage Beluger at 3C and bump him or say Boyd to 4C, and add a top 6 fwd. 

Why not swap Beluger and Bains back and forth between the 3rd and Forth lines.

I really like NilsAmman,  his character and game is solid,  I think BiG MaN confidence is all Nils is lacking, then All the switches will flip on.

The bigger deal with the Cap / Roster you’ve posted..  Which I Like !

Is we are rumoured to be in on Jake Guentzel,  and the $ number being tossed is 9.5m x 8 .

it still seems like someone moves out IF a bigger signing is made.

Your Capspace of roughly 5.5 would have to find another 4 to 5 mil.

Hypothetically speaking , I think Dakota Joshua will get a good dollar going home to Detroit.   -3.75m 

Myers     -500k  ( 2.2m sign)

Zadorov - 250k. ( 5.25m sign)

If this is correct it gives you 9.5m to offer Guentzel ….   Or he might come for less ?

Thats a  match and smash up D core !

• Cheers 1

Here's my perspective on Big Z:

-  He's not a superstar if you look at his record... his stats are those of a 2nd pairing D.  But he is still under 30, and still has the potential to grow and learn.  Big Defensemen develop later... just like Big Forwards.  There is still the potential for Z to become a Byflugien-like player.

-  He does seem to be able to elevate his play in the post season... which is huge.  A big physical presence in the playoffs... who can score timely goals, is so important.  This is the guy who took Kane out of the Oilers lineup and who probably is the reason Draisaitl is hurting and not playing his best.

-  He hates Putin... he is smart enough to know his country's President is a thug and a crook and wasn't afraid to stand up and say it.  He probably can't go back to Russia... if he did, he'd probably end up in jail.  That alone is worth an extra 1/2 million a year for me...  I think the chances are if we sign him for 6 years he will be a Canadian citizen at the end of that time... and he will play extra hard for the Canucks if they put their confidence in him and let him stay here and become a member of the family.

-  He is a smart guy... smart players learn from their mistakes even when they are older.

-  He doesn't have a long record of injuries... he is durable.  There is every chance he will play for the team for a long time.

Sometimes one player can set the character of a team even if they are not the star player.  Think Alexander Burrows...  I think Big Z has the potential to be that kind of guy.  He is well liked in the dressing room... he is funny... and he is a Sonuvab*tch to play against.  The team has a swagger when he is playing.

For all the above reasons I think signing him should be a no brainer... even if they have to pay an extra $250,000 a year.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

As far as the tail end of the contract when the canucks get it done these oversized guys like zadorov are tanks similiar to chara im sure he will lose footspeed over the years but the meanness in his game and durability will stay high plus lets say 7 years the cap will take large increments up and these contracts might actually end up looking solid in 3-4 yrs 

a guy with his skillset in the next few years could command 7-8 mill we just never know 

id like to see them lock him up with possibly losing joshua we need a mean big troll to get under the skin of the opposition something weve been missing for years