[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Why not swap Beluger and Bains back and forth between the 3rd and Forth lines.

I really like NilsAmman,  his character and game is solid,  I think BiG MaN confidence is all Nils is lacking, then All the switches will flip on.

The bigger deal with the Cap / Roster you’ve posted..  Which I Like !

Is we are rumoured to be in on Jake Guentzel,  and the $ number being tossed is 9.5m x 8 .

it still seems like someone moves out IF a bigger signing is made.

Your Capspace of roughly 5.5 would have to find another 4 to 5 mil.

Hypothetically speaking , I think Dakota Joshua will get a good dollar going home to Detroit.   -3.75m 

Myers     -500k  ( 2.2m sign)

Zadorov - 250k. ( 5.25m sign)

If this is correct it gives you 9.5m to offer Guentzel ….   Or he might come for less ?

Thats a  match and smash up D core !

Realistically IMO we have to be out on Guentzel. I don't think this town's big enough for both Guentzel and Brock down the line. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If we want to Compare Zadorov to anyone playing the game that signed a contract at 30yrs or younger..  sort of “same game/ player”.

(I think Nik is more physically dominant)

0576BA97-8045-46BE-8BB4-44642BBFEB36.thumb.jpeg.6c4cdc1633d4776974542f46dda934f9.jpeg909B6ECF-2116-4F95-B349-85A63ECA51B2.thumb.jpeg.e9e34ffd0bca5e7c6402c6aad028af7c.jpeg

make the call !

Parayko is much much better defensively. Parayko has been a top 2 defender most of his career. Zadorov is a top 4 defenseman and has mostly been considered more of a 4/5 guy until the playoffs. I would love for him to stay but at most I’d pay 4.75-5m for 4-5 years, maybe 6 if we could get the AAV down. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Realistically IMO we have to be out on Guentzel. I don't think this town's big enough for both Guentzel and Brock down the line. 

and of course Brock is UFA after next season..

personally ..  I think Brock will be fair with the organization and his next contract .

The Team was very supportive through about 3yrs of this 6.5 contract.

I think Adding Guentzel would be quite Dynamic through the lines.

Hockey always has injuries that can upset the balance of lines, and weaken chemistry.

I think Guentzel would insure good balance,

and help add to our Scoring Chances by over 25%

Just sayin ,.        

But we still need another Power Forward ,

perhaps Podz Bains & Aman come in a bit stronger ?  The potential is there any ways.

I do like your list Hammer 🙂 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

He's willing to take less than he'd get on the open market. That doesn't mean he's going to take SUBSTANTIALLY  less 

5.4 x 5 is his predicted UFA value.  So guess we will see. 

3 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

Parayko is much much better defensively. Parayko has been a top 2 defender most of his career. Zadorov is a top 4 defenseman and has mostly been considered more of a 4/5 guy until the playoffs. I would love for him to stay but at most I’d pay 4.75-5m for 4-5 years, maybe 6 if we could get the AAV down. 

Parayko starting cap percentage is also close to Hroneks and that's a 30-31 year old starting deal.   Zadorov is not getting close to that. 

17 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Is it done yet?

I’m thinking we are going after Geuntzel before Big Z. There’s a number we would sign him for now, so we can still get Geuntzel, but Z knows he can get more on the open market. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking we are going after Geuntzel before Big Z. There’s a number we would sign him for now, so we can still get Geuntzel, but Z knows he can get more on the open market. 

I fully expect they already know the answer and the number on Guentzel. 
‘Lots of grumbling that Zads and us are very close, though I don’t believe anything in the press unless it is a press release announcing a signing. I suspect we are just trying to convince him to spread the same dollars over more years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Priorities

1. D Partner for Hughes - Check

2. Winger for Petey

3. Rebuild Bottom 6 (inc Blueger)

Nice to Haves:

Myers

Zadorov

Joshua

Edited by Nucker67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Priorities

1. D Partner for Hughes - Check

2. Winger for Petey

3. Rebuild Bottom 6 (inc Blueger)

Nice to Haves:

Myers

Zadorov

Joshua

Priority.

Not convinced at all Hronek is QHs long term partner.    Second half of the season.   And even that wasn't as bad as the playoffs.   By game 2 NSH was pounding away at QHs, and took away his skating.   That "top pair" was effectively neutered  by Game 4.   QHs stopped skating with the puck, and started making quick short passes to avoid getting murdered.    Hronek was lost compared to the first half of the regular season.   It creeped in when the going got tougher down the stretch. 

Funny, my priority, just went up two-fold given we signed Hronek.    We absolutely have to insulate these guys.   At one point Tochett did the right thing, and started given Zadorov shifts with QHs against EDM.    That's the pairing, or Zadorov Hronek and something new for QHs.    Maybe they will figure it out..:there is a reason why Brent Seabrook was paired with small PMD Duncan Keith.    And that Campbell while he was there .. were they pairing those two together?    

Anyways, to me Zadorov is a must have priority.    Can't have a bunch of little guys and expect the same results in the post season.    Love QHs and admired Campbell, remember him schooling us.    Their best D against us, all 5'10 of him skating circles, using his passing skills etc.     That's not an elite playoff pairing.    Niedermayer Stevens/Pronger ..: Al Mac/Pronger that's elite.  

Even in today's league when things are a lot tamer.    Maybe they will prove me wrong.   Just don't see it though.

Elite regular season:  Maybe yes and that helps us get to the show.    Zadorov just scored goals, and was a monster for us.    No thanks to getting smaller and tamer.   With QHs and Hronek locked in, we need to get bigger, stay big, stay nasty.  

Zadorov is such a no brainer.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Priority.

Not convinced at all Hronek is QHs long term partner.    Second half of the season.   And even that wasn't as bad as the playoffs.   By game 2 NSH was pounding away at QHs, and took away his skating.   That "top pair" was effectively neutered  by Game 4.   QHs stopped skating with the puck, and started making quick short passes to avoid getting murdered.    Hronek was lost.    

Funny, my priority, just went up two-fold given we signed Hronek.    We absolutely have to insulate these guys.   At one point Tochett did the right thing, and started given Zadorov shifts with QHs against EDM.    That's the pairing, or Zadorov Hronek and something new for QHs.    Maybe they will figure it out..:there is a reason why Brent Seabrook was paired with small PMD Duncan Keith.    And that Campbell while he was there .. were they pairing those two together?    

Anyways, to me Zadorov is a must have priority.    Can't have a bunch of little guys and expect the same results in the post season.    Love QHs and admired Campbell, remember him schooling us.    Their best D against us, all 5'10 of him skating circles, using his passing skills etc.     That's not an elite playoff pairing.   Even in today's league when things are a lot tamer.    Maybe they will prove me wrong.   Just don't see it though.

Elite regular season one?  Maybe yes and that helps us get to the show.    Zadorov just scored goals, and was a monster for us.    No thanks to getting smaller and tamer.   With QHs and Hronek locked in, we need to get bigger. 

Well that is the pattern of Alvin and Tocch. All the D men they have gone after or are linked too other than QH and Hronek (and Bear I guess) are huge.   That is what Tocch likes. I am with you though, I think Zads-Hronek second pairing would have some potential but Myers or Juulsen are not players to saddle Hughes with, so we are again looking for a first pairing right D with no cap after signing Z and a winger. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Well that is the pattern of Alvin and Tocch. All the D men they have gone after or are linked too other than QH and Hronek (and Bear I guess) are huge.   That is what Tocch likes. I am with you though, I think Zads-Hronek second pairing would have some potential but Myers or Juulsen are not players to saddle Hughes with, so we are again looking for a first pairing right D with no cap after signing Z and a winger. 

Yep.    Soucy or Zadarov likely need to play their off-side.   And there is one more UFA (Dillion?) in the equation.    Can still get EP his winger.    If it's Guentzal, then Garland is likely the cost. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yep.    Soucy or Zadarov likely need to play their off-side.   And there is one more UFA (Dillion?) in the equation.    Can still get EP his winger.  

If we sign big Z why do we need Dillion? I would think we'd be looking at someone like Roy, no? 

guys playing on their off side kind of scares me. Maybe you can do that in the regular season, but we really could have used someone other than Cole on the bottom pair right side. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Signing Zad is a non issue.

image.thumb.png.a768c8adfb299f355df6df1aa77f50e5.png

If they buy out Mik or find a dance partner they should have 5-8 mill left over. Or even run Mik and still have cap flex sending Karlsson down to add a guy around 2-3m. If we carry a little cap into the dl maybe they take a big swing. This group alone could likely get us in a wild card. 

The question is do they upgrage Beluger at 3C and bump him or say Boyd to 4C, and add a top 6 fwd. 

You propose running the same team back minus Lindholm. That recipe wasn't good enough to get out of the 2nd round. We need to get better, and better is not paying Dakota 3.75 or Zad 5.55; we need to get more prudent with some of the resigns so we can add talent. The team above is worse than the one we iced a month ago.

Let Dakota walk...

Draw a line in the sand with Zad; offer more years vs $. My guess now is 4.75-5m x 5/6yr OR 5.5-6 3-4yr in FA is his price.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we sign big Z why do we need Dillion? I would think we'd be looking at someone like Roy, no? 

guys playing on their off side kind of scares me. Maybe you can do that in the regular season, but we really could have used someone other than Cole on the bottom pair right side. 

It's just the math.   50% more LHD's in the  NHL than RHDs.   Natural ones.   On average that's two guys per team in the top six, playing their off-side.   It's not the end of the world. 

As for Roy or Pesce.  It's a choice.   Prefer Zadorov.    If we added one of those guys too, goodbye EPs wingman dreams but I wouldn't be sad either because wow,  big upgrade in a D that finally had 6 NHL calibre guys again (not 7-8's with AHL guys up and down).    Cole turned into Roy or Pesce and Myers back too?   Sign me up.   And well sorry EP.   Wait for Lekkermaki. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we resign Zad, we need to upgrade talent, not just snarl. Juulsen offers the snarl at 775k

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

If we resign Zad, we need to upgrade talent, not just snarl. Juulsen offers the snarl at 775k

true. I guess I'd prefer something like this to forcing more guys to their off side

Hughes-Roy/Tanev

Z- Hronek

Soucy-Myers

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.    Soucy or Zadarov likely need to play their off-side.   And there is one more UFA (Dillion?) in the equation.    Can still get EP his winger.    If it's Guentzal, then Garland is likely the cost. 

Problem becomes that you are probably better player Myers on his proper side vs pounding the square peg into the round hole. Unfortunately, we are not flush with $$, and simply must accept bridges until we have more $ or so of our developmental guys take the next step.

IF we were to target Roy, that would mean the end of Zad, and we would be looking for LHD to play 3rd pair with Juulsen. Lines would be:

Hughes-Roy

Soucy-Hronek

FA-Juulsen

Friedman

Does that move the needle?

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

true. I guess I'd prefer something like this to forcing more guys to their off side

Hughes-Roy/Tanev

Z- Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Me too Bob....but then that means Suter and Mik/Podz are regulars in your top 6, which is meh at best. Our D played well in the POs...our offense was not so good. I'm more on board with improving our fwds than reworking our D with the available $$.

Edited by BC_Hawk

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hughes-Roy/Tanev

Z- Hronek

Soucy-Myers

That works for me too.   Wouldn't that mean nothing changed for EP though?   That's one solid D-corp. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Me too Bob....but then that means Suter and Mik/Podz are regulars in your top 6, which is meh at best. Our D played well in the POs...our offense was meh.

or a Mik trade/buyout, which would give us 22 mil left to work with this year. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's just the math.   50% more LHD's in the  NHL than RHDs.   Natural ones.   On average that's two guys per team in the top six, playing their off-side.   It's not the end of the world. 

As for Roy or Pesce.  It's a choice.   Prefer Zadorov.    If we added one of those guys too, goodbye EPs wingman dreams but I wouldn't be sad either because wow,  big upgrade in a D that finally had 6 NHL calibre guys again (not 7-8's with AHL guys up and down).    Cole turned into Roy or Pesce and Myers back too?   Sign me up.   And well sorry EP.   Wait for Lekkermaki. 

Agree 100% with what your saying, but we need a bridge there; we can't simply wait for him to dev. Suter, Podz, Lafferty, etc are NOT top 6 players. We need to solidify the Top 6 before improving the D in my opinion.

• Cheers 1