[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Agree, but think Bob is on to something; 8m x 8 years for Guentzel after a trade (4th or 5th rounder). Big Z may even get that 6th year to bring his cap to 4.75m

A poster claimed somewhere on CFF that by acquiring his rights for a pick doesn't mean we can offer eight years. I assumed they'd be able to, but maybe someone else can clarify this? I'm not so sure Allvin will offer JG eight years, though, as it would take him to 38yo. That's old.

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I see Blueger, Zadorov, and Myers back.

Youve got potential for Friedman and Juulsen to conpete with an under 1m ufa depth dman for # 6.

The team already stated they intend to fill some lower roster spots with internal competition and frankly thats what good teams do anyways. 

Blueger as a reliable bottom six center comes back and you fill one or two bottom six/depth spots with nicely seasoned and stewed youngsters from a pool of Raty, Bains, Karlsson, Sasson to name a few.

You 100% have the ability and this IS the time to secure Guentzel.

Blueger is the guy you tell to keep in touch...let us match anything you get OR circle back once you have sniffed the market. He's a nice to have, not a need to have. We will sign a few of these guys <1.5m in tier 3/4 of FA.

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

A poster claimed somewhere on CFF that by acquiring his rights for a pick doesn't mean we can offer eight years. I assumed they'd be able to, but maybe someone else can clarify this? I'm not so sure Allvin will offer JG eight years, though, as it would take him to 38yo. That's old.

this is the rule. I had the same thought as you did, but now it would have to be a sign and trade to get 8. 

(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club’s Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club’s Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/who-can-sign-8-year-deals-in-the-nhl-free-agency-rules-sign-and-trade/

Edited by Bob Long
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Blueger is the guy you tell to keep in touch...let us match anything you get OR circle back once you have sniffed the market. He's a nice to have, not a need to have. We will sign a few of these guys <1.5m in tier 3/4 of FA.

His importance is so underrated or valued its why he gets extended in Vancouver before July.

With the exception of a weaker shot the guy is exactly what this team needs. Far too many people brush him off.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

His importance is so underrated or valued its why he gets extended in Vancouver before July.

With the exception of a weaker shot the guy is exactly what this team needs. Far too many people brush him off.

Agreed but we still need to add at least one right handed centre ideally. 

16 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is trade a third line guy so that you can fit a star winger in to play with your best forward.   I think I would be interested in that. 
Did we sign more D?  We don’t have a good D atm. We have 4 NHL defencemen counting Juulsen. 
It is also trading a guy that might get you an asset back instead of trading a guy who will cost you assets to move and has been a very good player for you before a major injury. They have been trying to trade Mik, but not a lot of people want to take that on without a lot of juice. 
People forget that Mik-EP-Kuz were one of the better lines in the league briefly before he blew out his knee.  Is he really a top 6 forward no, but could he be an effective forward in the bottom six and PKer, quite possibly. 
‘I like Garland and thought he was great for us last year but at the same time he scores like a third liner, seemed to catch lightning in a bottle with Dak who is likely gone, makes $5M and doesn’t play either special teams. That is some tough salary utilization.

So would I prefer to move Mik, yes.  Do I want to trade Garland, no.  Is this a perfect world where I can have everything I want, no unfortunately. Might moving Garland be the best (even if not preferable) option, quite possibly.

Garland was our most consistent player all year and in the playoffs; never took a night off. In addition, he has shown his ability to drive play while playing with low AAV guys.

In my perfect world, we have a few $$ left to sign a Martinhook type guy in FA at <2m to play with Garland and Suter on the 3rd line. If not, give Podz the chance to be that guy.

Having 3 scoring lines showed its merit last year...imagine if we can really elevate Peteys game with better talent!!! 

• Like 1

Once again, I'm in the minority here....I don't want to sign Guentzel or Tanev (or re-sign Lindy, for that matter)

It's not that I don't like these players, it's just that I feel they are all going to command salaries that teams will later regret. We already have folks worried about paying Hronek $7+ million when he's 34.....Tanev is already 34..... Guentzel will likely be even older by the time his contract expires....

My priority is the same as it was when the season ended. Sign Zadorov. He's the guy who's skillset + physical attributes is the most difficult to replace, IMO. I'd love to see Joshua return, but I feel like we can find someone who can play a similar game, if not quite as well as DJ played it last season.

While I understand wanting a scoring winger for Petey, we have to remember that his scoring was fine up until the all-star break. This suggests to me that maybe his issues weren't with his linemates, but with himself. IMO, we keep him with someone like Hogs and see how it goes. If it's clear that we need forward help by the time the TDL rolls around, we go out and find a rental, much like Guentzel was for the 'Canes this season.

Now this isn't to say that you don't take a look at signing a forward to a reasonable price if one becomes available, but this is the time of year that GMs make expensive mistakes that they end up regretting for years after.

Re-sign Z, Myers, Blueger, Podz and Silovs.....then take a look at the market for scoring wingers.

Just my 2 cents....

• Like 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Garland was our most consistent player all year and in the playoffs; never took a night off. In addition, he has shown his ability to drive play while playing with low AAV guys.

In my perfect world, we have a few $$ left to sign a Martinhook type guy in FA at <2m to play with Garland and Suter on the 3rd line. If not, give Podz the chance to be that guy.

Having 3 scoring lines showed its merit last year...imagine if we can really elevate Peteys game with better talent!!! 

Not just consistent night after night, but year after year.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Once again, I'm in the minority here....I don't want to sign Guentzel or Tanev (or re-sign Lindy, for that matter)

It's not that I don't like these players, it's just that I feel they are all going to command salaries that teams will later regret. We already have folks worried about paying Hronek $7+ million when he's 34.....Tanev is already 34..... Guentzel will likely be even older by the time his contract expires....

My priority is the same as it was when the season ended. Sign Zadorov. He's the guy who's skillset + physical attributes is the most difficult to replace, IMO. I'd love to see Joshua return, but I feel like we can find someone who can play a similar game, if not quite as well as DJ played it last season.

While I understand wanting a scoring winger for Petey, we have to remember that his scoring was fine up until the all-star break. This suggests to me that maybe his issues weren't with his linemates, but with himself. IMO, we keep him with someone like Hogs and see how it goes. If it's clear that we need forward help by the time the TDL rolls around, we go out and find a rental, much like Guentzel was for the 'Canes this season.

Now this isn't to say that you don't take a look at signing a forward to a reasonable price if one becomes available, but this is the time of year that GMs make expensive mistakes that they end up regretting for years after.

Re-sign Z, Myers, Blueger, Podz and Silovs.....then take a look at the market for scoring wingers.

Just my 2 cents....

Daniel Sprong would be a great fit and at maybe $3.25 -4 million per 

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I'd rather find a few more $$ and sign Stephenson to be honest. I really like Blueger, I just think that the extra 2m could be utilized elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Which gets us back to the loop of how do you find the cap for the talent to surround Pettey. 
Trade the untradeable Mik for a premium or the guy coming off a career year after 2 off years. 
Again, I don’t want to trade Garland but it may be the option they need to use. 
3 scoring lines doesn’t have merit in the current NHL, it is an essential to be a good team in the NHL (unless you have Drais and McD).

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just my 2 cents....

I think Guentzal is a great player, but one who is going to be overpaid for what he brings.  Id rather see 2-3 players brought in for roughly the same cost.

Their mantra has been "next man up"..........when youre top heavy, it's hard to live by that motto because you can only have a small number of players who can "step up" in the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yep. I like that a lot better than blowing the bank on a 8 x 9 mil contract for JG....

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

who is going to be overpaid for what he brings.

Under 30

491 points in 520 games - 227 goals over 8.5 seasons

2-time 40-goal scorer, plus a 36 goal season

He is exactly what Petey needs

Let's not get cheap here

13 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Would definitely bring a lot of speed... he will be $4.5M+ though.  He has put up back to back seasons of 46 points and then 43 points.  The 46 points was in 66 games too.. so pacing for 57 points that season.  Not a big name player, but he's the under-the-radar type of guy I had on my list back at the TDL.  Add a couple players like this and we would look more like a VGK type squad, which isn't a bad thing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

There are actually a few guys sitting around DS's current salary that might be worth kicking the tires on (although not necessarily for scoring)....

Tyson Jost, Jordan Martinook, Yakov Trenin (although he's not a great faceoff guy, he is a righty).....

Kevin Stenlund is another bottom six possibility. Right handed Center. 6'5", 215 lbs with a decent FO %. (just over 50%)

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

There are actually a few guys sitting around DS's current salary that might be worth kicking the tires on (although not necessarily for scoring)....

Tyson Jost, Jordan Martinook, Yakov Trenin (although he's not a great faceoff guy, he is a righty).....

Kevin Stenlund is another bottom six possibility. Right handed Center. 6'5", 215 lbs with a decent FO %. (just over 50%)

Priced it out, and trading Mikheyev for a bag of pucks, we could afford a lineup like this...

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Colton-Pettersson-Sprong

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

Duhaime-Suter-Karlsson

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Priced it out, and trading Mikheyev for a bag of pucks, we could afford a lineup like this...

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Colton-Pettersson-Sprong

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

Duhaime-Suter-Karlsson

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Looks pretty good. The catch is, we'd have to find a taker for Mik...

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Would definitely bring a lot of speed... he will be $4.5M+ though.  He has put up back to back seasons of 46 points and then 43 points.  The 46 points was in 66 games too.. so pacing for 57 points that season.  Not a big name player, but he's the under-the-radar type of guy I had on my list back at the TDL.  Add a couple players like this and we would look more like a VGK type squad, which isn't a bad thing.

Yeah I see Sprong at $4m +