[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

39 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Under 30

491 points in 520 games - 227 goals over 8.5 seasons

2-time 40-goal scorer, plus a 36 goal season

He is exactly what Petey needs

Let's not get cheap here

Riding shotgun to one of the best players in the history of the game for his entire career

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

There are actually a few guys sitting around DS's current salary that might be worth kicking the tires on (although not necessarily for scoring)....

Tyson Jost, Jordan Martinook, Yakov Trenin (although he's not a great faceoff guy, he is a righty).....

Kevin Stenlund is another bottom six possibility. Right handed Center. 6'5", 215 lbs with a decent FO %. (just over 50%)

I think if we're going to be top-heavy (Petey, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev*, possibly Guentzel; Hughes, Hronek, possibly Zadorov; Demko) we'll need to find some league min gems that can flesh out the rest of the roster, esp. in the bottom-6.  Allvin talked about finding the next Dakota Joshua so I wonder if he'll go really cheap and snag a bunch of guys like Comtois, Motte, Labanc, and hopefully incorporate Podkolzin full-time.  My view is that bottom-6 F and bottom-4 D should be youngish, hungry league min guys who would want a chance to impress while the top-4 should get most of the big bucks as the established guys.

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Petey - Guentzel??
Podkolzin - ________ - Garland
Motte* - Aman - __________ (Labanc?  Comtois?)

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov? - ___________
Soucy - ____________

58 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Daniel Sprong would be a great fit and at maybe $3.25 -4 million per 

Sprong stuck out to me as well when I was looking at the RW free agents this year. Offensively, I have noticed him when he's played against us. It did also stand out to me though that I wasn't seeing him on the ice a lot.

I recently saw this video that explains he is somewhat of a defensive liability which helped explain the lack of ice time. I'd be open to giving Sprong a chance at the right cost, and if he's willing to grow his defensive game. Sprong could be a good get considering at a more reasonable cost as he's not a complete player (yet).

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Riding shotgun to one of the best players in the history of the game for his entire career

If you're eluding to not wanting an 7.5+ million contract for a 30 year old Guentzel, I'm in full agreement. I like the idea of more talent alongside EP but would prefer size and speed, even if it doesn't happen on free agent day. I hope they don't sign Guentzel just because he's the most skilled player available via UFA and a free acquisition. I don't like the fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

If you're eluding to not wanting an 7.5+ million contract for a 30 year old Guentzel, I'm in full agreement. I like the idea of more talent alongside EP but would prefer size and speed, even if it doesn't happen on free agent day. I hope they don't sign Guentzel just because he's the most skilled player available via UFA and a free acquisition. I don't like the fit.

The other option is a futures overpayment for Necas. Which way do you prefer to overpay? Because that's the choice to improve now. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Priced it out, and trading Mikheyev for a bag of pucks, we could afford a lineup like this...

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Colton-Pettersson-Sprong

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

Duhaime-Suter-Karlsson

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Only way you get a bag of pucks there is including a significant asset like first rounder. 

8 minutes ago, Rekker said:

What is it you don’t like about the fit with EP?  
Not trying to be internet snarky, genuinely curious. 
Seems like about the best possible fit. Goal scorer with good play making and solid defence. In right age range for our current push, younger than JTM.

Still need a power forward for that line but now you have an elite piece to go with EP, filling the third spot on that line gets much easier with two elite talents there. 
Yeah he is the most skilled player, but also the best overall, (not sure why that is drawback)with the best pedigree and seems like the best fit for our needs.  Some cap gymnastics but Alvin has proved to be an Olympic level cap gymnast. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Seems like about the best possible fit. Goal scorer with good play making and solid defence. In right age range for our current push, younger than JTM.

Still need a power forward for that line but now you have an elite piece to go with EP, filling the third spot on that line gets much easier with two elite talents there. 
Yeah he is the most skilled player, but also the best overall, (not sure why that is drawback)with the best pedigree and seems like the best fit for our needs.  Some cap gymnastics but Alvin has proved to be an Olympic level cap gymnast. 

I get your point, but we could subsistute his potential production in the aggregate. The question is, would you rather Guentzel at 9.5mil scoring 40 goals on 1 line or 2 players at the same combined cap hit scoring 20 goals each on 2 lines?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The other option is a futures overpayment for Necas. Which way do you prefer to overpay? Because that's the choice to improve now. 

I really liked Necas game in the post season, some size and fast. Lots of upside still and perfect age for this group. Million dollar question is the cost. What I don't want is overpayment for a 30 year old player "just because" he's a free acquisition. But really I was wrong with drafting EP, trading BO, trading for JT. Lol. 

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Our forwards need more size in the top six. Players with size and speed to forececk and drive the opposition back when playing trap like teams. Imho Canucks really lack in just driving down the wing and backing up the opposition. Oilers do this well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's not that I don't think Guentzal isn't a good player or wouldn't fit into the lineup, it's that it will make it next to impossible yo accrue the kind of depth that has shown leads to success in this era of the NHL.

I also don't think this team is on the precipice of the ultimate prize and is a player away from getting there.  I think they're in the early stages of this process, still, and should exercise patience and be reinforcing the foundation of what made them successful this year...........make sure your dcorp is built first, turn make sure you have depth through all 4 lines and then start adding difference makers in the top 6.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Problem becomes that you are probably better player Myers on his proper side vs pounding the square peg into the round hole. Unfortunately, we are not flush with $$, and simply must accept bridges until we have more $ or so of our developmental guys take the next step.

IF we were to target Roy, that would mean the end of Zad, and we would be looking for LHD to play 3rd pair with Juulsen. Lines would be:

Hughes-Roy

Soucy-Hronek

FA-Juulsen

Friedman

Does that move the needle?

So where does Willander fit in?  He's going to be a top 4 Dman, if not a top pairing guy.  Will he be on the 3rd pairing?

I'd rather spend the money on Zadorov and get a short term solution on the right side until Willander is ready instead of paying Roy a 6x6 contract, which is what he will get on the open market.

Hughes         Hronek

Zadorov        Willander 

Pettersson   McWard

This is our future IMO.  Allvin is high on McWard, so he probably makes the team in 2025 as a 7/8 guy and then our #6 Dman moving forward...

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I get your point, but we could subsistute his potential production in the aggregate. The question is, would you rather Guentzel at 9.5mil scoring 40 goals on 1 line or 2 players at the same combined cap hit scoring 20 goals each on 2 lines?

100% agree 

That also means if you have injuries in your top 6, you have the depth to absorb that 

If you sign JG to a massive deal and he (or any other top 6) gets hurt, youre screwed

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So where does Willander fit in?  He's going to be a top 4 Dman, if not a top pairing guy.  Will he be on the 3rd pairing?

I'd rather spend the money on Zadorov and get a short term solution on the right side until Willander is ready instead of paying Roy a 6x6 contract, which is what he will get on the open market.

Hughes         Hronek

Zadorov        Willander 

Pettersson   McWard

This is our future IMO.  Allvin is high on McWard, so he probably makes the team in 2025 as a 7/8 guy and then our #6 Dman moving forward...

Willander is probably 3 years away, at least, from top 4 duties in the nhl

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Our forwards need more size in the top six. Players with size and speed to forececk and drive the opposition back when playing trap like teams. Imho Canucks really lack in just driving down the wing and backing up the opposition. Oilers do this well.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes         Hronek

Zadorov        Willander 

Pettersson   McWard

I think keeping Zadorov and adding Debrusk (27yrs) could be a solution without tapping out the Capspace.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I'd take one player at 40G than 2 at 20G

I think to win in the playoffs you need high end talent and you need to fill out your roster with value contracts

C

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

100% agree 

That also means if you have injuries in your top 6, you have the depth to absorb that 

If you sign JG to a massive deal and he (or any other top 6) gets hurt, youre screwed

Whens the last time having great depth has won any team a Stanley cup vs having high end talent in their top 6 that can drive play?

I can't recall of any team of a bunch of 15-30G scorers winning the cup in the modern NHL. All cup winning teams have had dynamic high end talent that pushes play

How did our depth and Dallas ELITE depth fair vs the Oilers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I'd take one player at 40G than 2 at 20G

I think to win in the playoffs you need high end talent and you need to fill out your roster with value contracts

C

That's one way of building a roster. I would go the other way and go for a more balanced approach on shorter term deals

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fuzzy said:

That's one way of building a roster. I would go the other way and go for a more balanced approach on shorter term deals

Agreed. Easier to shut down 1 40g scorer than 2 20s

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Willander is probably 3 years away, at least, from top 4 duties in the nhl

Yeah, I don't think so.  Have you actually watched him play?  His skating is elite, and he is solid defensively.  There is no reason why his development would take that long.  JR thinks Lekkerimaki can crack the roster next season as a 20 year old.  Willander will be doing the same thing...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1